Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

So I’ve still got a little of my first true IPA. Starting to clear so I’m thinking there can’t be much left. 

Ive really got to start making more of these. Such a good beer. Think I’ll have to brew another very soon. 

After switching to smaller batches it’s opened up more room in the kettle for higher gravity beers. 

I do really enjoy my 5% beers as a staple however I’ve really enjoyed some beers that have been higher in abv without the harshness of the alcohol provides. This beer is around 6.8 and doesn’t have any of that, just flavour, the slight sweetness of alcohol is offset by the calculated 63 ibus. Tastes like a 30ibu beer.  

Absolutely great beer. 

A2D80DF7-CFCA-4D8E-BDE4-0F208837880E.jpeg

• Like 9

20 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

So I’ve still got a little of my first true IPA. Starting to clear so I’m thinking there can’t be much left. 

Ive really got to start making more of these. Such a good beer. Think I’ll have to brew another very soon. 

After switching to smaller batches it’s opened up more room in the kettle for higher gravity beers. 

I do really enjoy my 5% beers as a staple however I’ve really enjoyed some beers that have been higher in abv without the harshness of the alcohol provides. This beer is around 6.8 and doesn’t have any of that, just flavour, the slight sweetness of alcohol is offset by the calculated 63 ibus. Tastes like a 30ibu beer.  

Absolutely great beer. 

Late Hopping Kapitano?

Taste test of my first beer for warmer weather. Appreciate any thoughts on this.

Coopers pale, 1kg LDM, 250g DWM. Hops - Amarillo 10g Galaxy 10g for 10m and dry hopped with 40 of each. Kit yeast.

I thought my bittering was pretty conservative. I haven't used Amarillo before, and only dry hopped with Galaxy, which was very good. The Wheat malt was a great addition. It doesn't add noticeable flavour, but the body, feel and head retention/aroma is very good - far better than trying to get the same from steeping malts IME, and I did a bit of that a while back.

Early taster, it will probably fade over time, but too grapefruitey for me, is that the Amarillo? Even so, I'm realising after a summer of brewing last year, that I like subtle, but good flavoured pales. If the hops get too citrusy, I'm out. I need some other summer beer options or more subtle hops. Pilsners take too long and I don't think I can get close to an Urquell with KKs anyway.

The coopers recipes are my go to. Any experiences with  the following? None of these use the pale as a base, but open to suggestions for good summer beers that do.

Caribbean

Gold Rush

Lightning

10 hours ago, Lab Rat said:

Taste test of my first beer for warmer weather. Appreciate any thoughts on this.

Coopers pale, 1kg LDM, 250g DWM. Hops - Amarillo 10g Galaxy 10g for 10m and dry hopped with 40 of each. Kit yeast.

I thought my bittering was pretty conservative. I haven't used Amarillo before, and only dry hopped with Galaxy, which was very good. The Wheat malt was a great addition. It doesn't add noticeable flavour, but the body, feel and head retention/aroma is very good - far better than trying to get the same from steeping malts IME, and I did a bit of that a while back.

Early taster, it will probably fade over time, but too grapefruitey for me, is that the Amarillo? Even so, I'm realising after a summer of brewing last year, that I like subtle, but good flavoured pales. If the hops get too citrusy, I'm out. I need some other summer beer options or more subtle hops. Pilsners take too long and I don't think I can get close to an Urquell with KKs anyway.

The coopers recipes are my go to. Any experiences with  the following? None of these use the pale as a base, but open to suggestions for good summer beers that do.

Caribbean

Gold Rush

Lightning

I like subtle, fruity beers too: American Pale Ales.

The 80gm of dry hops you used works out to 3.5g/L. That might be conservative for an IPA, but not in the general sense of the word. For an American Pale Ale try 1-1.5g/L in the dry hop. Personally I like 1g/L. In my most recent batch I tried 1.3g/L and I am finding it a bit much. I am actually looking forward to them fading. 😆

In these hop mad times I know few would agree with me, but I think there is a law of diminished returns with dry hopping. At a certain point, the more you use, the more one hop begins to taste like another. All that plant matter and resin drowns out the nuances.

Cheers,

Christina

• Like 2

I usually use about 2-2.5g/L in my pale ales although the last one was probably closer to 3.5 (85g or so in 24/25 litres), and I reckon it was better. I don't think it would need to be any more than that though for a standard pale ale, for me anyway. Everything was nicely balanced with enough hop flavour and aroma to make it interesting. Whenever I brew an IPA next I'll likely go up to 4.5-5g per litre dry hop. 

• Like 1

Yeah it's probably not a huge amount but I liked what it gave. In your case it could be the Amarillo. I've only ever used it once about 7 years ago and while I enjoyed the beer I can't really remember how potent the Amarillo was. It wasn't dry hopped however, just a couple of short boil additions, but it didn't strike me as a hop bomb of a beer. 

• Thanks 1

I use Amarillo often. It is a lovely hop. It has average potency and plays nice with many American hops, including Citra, Cascade, Centennial,  and Mosaic. I would be surprised if Amarillo was the problem, but maybe the combo with Galaxy doesn't work well? Are there any popular commercial ales with this combo?

I have never used Galaxy myself as my LHBS doesn't carry them. 

Cheers,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use amarillo hops in a beer I call Amberillo.  As the name suggests an amber ale with amerillo hops!  It's a pretty rich malty beer with 100g amarillo in total, 50g being the dry hop addition.  Even on that rich malt base the hops really do stand out.  I can't get galaxy here but from what I gather it's fairly potent. I have a strong hunch that your 80g combo of those two particular hops is indeed the issue.    

I know of some tasty but very mellow NZ hops that may suit your palate better - pacifica and kohatu, but not sure how available they would be. 

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 1

IPA 67 and IPA 67 V2.

Similar grain bills to 1067.

Same hops BUT different schedule to 67 IBU.

One my way, the other the way @Beerlust suggested would have a more "robust" bitterness.

The first 35 IBU from the boil. The second 49 IBU from the boil.

The first is frutier. And has better lingering bitterness. Left V1, right V2.

IMG_20191003_173635.thumb.jpg.8b108b6ec125a47e6bf2721c3592c914.jpg

• Like 9

Just doing a side by side with the vintage ale and the ROTM brew. Been in the bottle over a month now so decided to crack one and compare. Mine was made to the recipe except i subbed the can of wheat extract with a mash of 1kg malted wheat and 1kg pale. 

Colour. Mine is much darker. Not even close really.

Gravity. 1012 for the vintage ale and 1010 for mine. 

Taste. Vintage ale tastes much drier despite it being a higher gravity. Mine is slightly sweet and the hops in the kit is quite prominent. More late hops too from the taste.

Aroma. Vintage has a bit more. I would say close to double mine. 

Overall. The ROTM is quite different. Both are very drinkable but the ROTM taste more like an english bitter than the vintage. The hops in the kit overpowers the mosaic and cascade. It tastes like EKG or Styrian. I dare say while the vintage definitely uses mosaic and cascade. I dont think any EKG or Styrian is in it. More like a base bitter with POR with more mosaic and cascade late than the ROTM recipe.

1570090805544-1639529740.jpg

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I usually use about 2-2.5g/L in my pale ales although the last one was probably closer to 3.5 (85g or so in 24/25 litres), and I reckon it was better. I don't think it would need to be any more than that though for a standard pale ale, for me anyway. Everything was nicely balanced with enough hop flavour and aroma to make it interesting. Whenever I brew an IPA next I'll likely go up to 4.5-5g per litre dry hop. 

I think you might be a bit light on for an IPA there. I like around 4g/l at both flameout and dry in a pale ale level brew, and around 8g/l at both flameout and dry for an IPA level brew. Nothing worse than making an IPA and having to drink a whole batch wishing you'd put more hops in it!

Cheers, 

John 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, porschemad911 said:

I think you might be a bit light on for an IPA there. I like around 4g/l at both flameout and dry in a pale ale level brew, and around 8g/l at both flameout and dry for an IPA level brew. Nothing worse than making an IPA and having to drink a whole batch wishing you'd put more hops in it!

Cheers, 

John 

Yeah just looked at my dry hop for my IPA and it was 8g/l. And it was spot on

• Like 1

Dry hopping rates are going up. 4g/L used to be pretty standard for IPAs, but 8g/L is pretty common now, from what I read, and even more. It is like an arms race.

At a certain point the shear volume of hop matter becomes an issue, due to absorption and resinous / grassy notes. I think when you get to that point common sense ought to tell you to stop, but the commercial guys turn to hop extracts to push it further. God knows where it will end, before the pendulum swings the other way.

Cheers,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1