Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

Dug out a month-in-the-bottle BoPils to help me thru today's bottling session.

1308499482_00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190921164843351_COVER2.thumb.jpg.f5a305d246061ccd806aac3d94501857.jpg

On my most classy beer perch.

I've got about 44L of the stuff lagering now so glad it's turned out ok. This was the second half of a longneck pour so the clarity isn't as spectacular at the first but still, I'm happy.

Not sure the saaz dry hop ha added anything tho. It was only 25g after all.

• Like 9

51 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

Yep, wash, dry. then spray before filling.

I’ve never had an issue when I drank them straight away. I just kinda forgot about these ones in the cupboard so it’s taken a few months to get through the residual sugars. I reckon if I left it any longer, there may have been a few bottle bombs. 

The IPA finished around 1.012 and the sample from the bottles now was 1.005 so that yeast was definitely chewing through. 

24 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

I’ve never had an issue when I drank them straight away. I just kinda forgot about these ones in the cupboard so it’s taken a few months to get through the residual sugars. I reckon if I left it any longer, there may have been a few bottle bombs. 

The IPA finished around 1.012 and the sample from the bottles now was 1.005 so that yeast was definitely chewing through. 

Was that using US05/1056 Cap?

Side by side taste test.  They are two very different beers, even though they are from the same base.

Really Secret Ale and Real Ale, left and right respectively.

These were a full 23L Real Ale batch, split into two 11.5L batches.  The Real Ale was left plain with only 500g of LDM.  The Really Secret Ale also has 500g LDM, but also has 25g of Vic Secret in a 10 minute boil, 25g Vic Secret in a 20 minute steep, 12.5g Vic Secret Day 3 dry hop, and 20g Vic Secret Day 7 dry hop.

The Real Ale is much sweeter.  The Really Secret Ale is bittered much closer to my taste.  It has a glorious aroma too.  I like them both, but prefer the Really Secret Ale hopped version.  I would like to do the Real Ale again but with a short boil of a good bittering hop.  I think that most of the Coopers cans are bittered to pretty mild levels so that they will appeal to a wider array of brewers/drinkers.

IMG_1367.JPG.a3b74b3bed55b6f22748ddcc5624df5f.JPG

• Like 9

48 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Side by side taste test.  They are two very different beers, even though they are from the same base.

These were a full 23L Real Ale batch, split into two 11.5L batches.  The Real Ale was left plain with only 500g of LDM.  The Really Secret Ale also has 500g LDM, but also has 25g of Vic Secret in a 10 minute boil, 25g Vic Secret in a 20 minute steep, 12.5g Vic Secret Day 3 dry hop, and 20g Vic Secret Day 7 dry hop.

The Real Ale is much sweeter.  The Really Secret Ale is bittered much closer to my taste.  It has a glorious aroma too.  I like them both, but prefer the Really Secret Ale hopped version.  I would like to do the Real Ale again but with a short boil of a good bittering hop. 

I think that most of the Coopers cans are bittered to pretty mild levels so that they will appeal to a wider array of brewers/drinkers.

Cool. Yes, the Real has a residual sweetness, not much though. It's got pretty decent flavour used as simply as you did, I did similar but with liq malt. I can see this can being a favourite for winter brews to play around with hopping.

My brew shop often recommends another brand to most brewers, because if people as doing basic KK, the other brand hops their kits a lot more, so you don't need to do much. But they've seen the Coopers range is still selling well, so I've suggested a few of the recipes to them that worked well for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

The Real Ale is much sweeter.  The Really Secret Ale is bittered much closer to my taste.  It has a glorious aroma too.  I like them both, but prefer the Really Secret Ale hopped version.  I would like to do the Real Ale again but with a short boil of a good bittering hop.  I think that most of the Coopers cans are bittered to pretty mild levels so that they will appeal to a wider array of brewers/drinkers.

IMG_1367.JPG.a3b74b3bed55b6f22748ddcc5624df5f.JPG

Vic Secret good choice. The 10m boil would get you some flavour, great aroma (which is hard for your senses to separate from flavour) and the VS steep and dry will finish it off well. Drink as early as you can. I would like to taste that one! 👍

Cheers

• Like 2

On 9/20/2019 at 7:57 PM, PaddyBrew2 said:

Would highly recommend this style. 

I'm a fan too. Had a pint of my Black DIPL on Friday. It's got lots of Simcoe, a fair bit of Motueka and a bit of Bravo. Really nice, the Dark Ale kit is a great base for an 11l batch. Will definitely be making an all-grain version of the style at some point. But I feel like I want to use a heap of Chinook in a black IPA for some reason. Never used Chinook. 

Cheers, 

John 

• Like 2

So having a Saison has been in the bottle for 12 months and maybe a week. 

Found one in the back of the cupboard. Thought I’d gone through them all. 

Think im going to have to do this again and age for 12 months before opening. 

Its such a good beer. 

Dry, nice and funky, superb beer. 

• Like 4