Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

7 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

Maybe. Or it is as lusty said and the bitterness from a long boil is more bitter? or something?

A greater percentage of alpha acids are isomerized from a long boil addition. These isomerized alpha acids are what create noticeable bitterness at the glass.

HopBoil_Graph_www.jpg

If you look at the red "bitterness" line on the chart from 0-15 mins boil time you're only isomerizing approx. 15% of the hop alpha acids, whereas @ 60mins boiled you're isomerizing approx. 95% of those alpha acids.

It makes a big difference in a beer where bitterness at the glass (like a true IPA) is important.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BlackSands said:

Sometimes a brew just doesn't turn out as you hoped.  I brewed a porter 7 or 8 months ago which as much as I tried, I just couldn't get to like it.  Even after many months aging it still tastes a bit sharp... a dark malt bitterness I think with a touch of sourness - best I can describe it anyway.  I just found it unpleasant and hence the reason all these months later I still have a dozen or so bottles left.   I have a more recent bitter which is near the end, a few bottles left which has been OK, but certainly not my best effort.  It ended up quite sweet for some reason (or combination of reasons) but mostly I put it down to poor attenuation.   Anyway, it just occurred to me today...  that a blend of these two might actually work quite well.  The bitter/sour bite of the porter offset against the unusually high sweetness of the bitter; each beers shortcomings cancelling each other out as it were.   And they did!  This is actually a really nice beer now... just a shame I only thought of it today...

This is a top idea. I did this with disappointing whisky I bought ( usually cheap). I added a splash of good stuff, and got very drinkable whisky. Made poor stuff drinkable and stretched out the good stuff.

Just did this with my Real ale. Very basic brew to see what the can does, and it's a bit thin on flavour for me. Threw in some of the dark malt ESB that I was never keen on. Now the Real has some body and extra flavour.

• Like 2

On 8/28/2019 at 9:28 PM, Bearded Burbler said:

Hey MB - mate what sort of weights of C n C did you use at both times (in 23L?)… have done a few AGs now but no IPA... 

(and am finally convinced I should try doing one)

Have got some nice Cent n Citra in the fridge waiting to go... keen to do the dry-hopper.

Interested when you added in the boil... and the sorts of weights for boil vs dry... 

Hey mate, 

Hop schedule was as follows

11g warrior 60mins

10g cent 10g citra @15

8.5g cent 8.5g citra    80deg WP for 20mins

Dry hop day 4 mosaic, citra and centennial 80g total

was just under 35ibu. 

Came out tasting like a nice fresh 150 lashes. Dunno what they use in that but me old man said the same thing. 

Edited by MitchBastard
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

Hey mate, 

Hop schedule was as follows

11g warrior 60mins

10g cent 10g citra @15

8.5g cent 8.5g citra    80deg WP for 20mins

Dry hop day 4 mosaic, citra and centennial 80g total

was just under 35ibu. 

Came out tasting like a nice fresh 150 lashes. Dunno what they use in that but me old man said the same thing. 

150 Lashes uses Amarillo, Nelson Sauvin, Galaxy and Willamette.

Mitch.

• Like 1

I've got my 9+% abv saison on tap in the fridge at the moment (not sure exactly how much of the oak-soaking vodka went in).

Will take a bit longer to get through this than the stout previously on tap. Both really nice, and despite being a similar colour taste completely different.

Bit of a shame I didn't have enough empty bottles at the time and my big saison mostly went into Tap-a-draft since it has a ton of aging potential. PET won't do it any favours there so I'd better drink it all now! It's really tasty, can't wait to use the rest of my oak in something else now. 

Cheers, 

John 

Edited by porschemad911
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

Side by side they probably don’t taste anything like each other but it was the first thing I thought of. Easy drinking maybe. Will probably make again I’d say

It's the brew thing mate......… Like writing a song. And living life. Make a note and then change-it-up...

Or making bread.

I don't think all of us are destined to eatin' Mighty White.... full of chicken feathers and 0.99 c a loaf

Brewing  with the grown under the Sun!

Brew Up and Brew On!

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Haha 1

Back on the AG Biscuit Ale Brewers!

Drinking it 'cellar temp' out of a fairly coldish storage room.... is prolly around 10 deg C... tastes good. Malt shining through with slightly warmer temp maybe?

Also has cleared a bit since my first 'release'... and is tasting very nice - great head retention and mouth feel with the wheat malt thrown in.

Bit sad to see the stocks dwindling 😭 But all for a  good reason 😜

image.thumb.png.ddb2dabb79d7b63bba8c913d30474a21.png

• Like 7

No picture, my glass was dirty, but I am finally sipping on my 1st AG batch, it was an American wheat, it looks like a Stone and wood Pacific ale but because I used centennial, it doesn't taste like it. Tastes pretty good, not the best beer I have made but totally drinkable with a little tartness that is coming through. It has a subtle but noticeable floral and citrus like aroma. Totally smashable at 4% and 20ish ibus. I might up the keg hop amount, I keg hopped instead of dry hopped, but I would say it is fairly balanced.

Just had another sip and I picked up some ginger....which was on tap before this one...clean your lines folk, not talking from experience or anything.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Norris! said:

No picture, my glass was dirty, but I am finally sipping on my 1st AG batch

Gold Norris!  Go you good thing!  Congrats on your first All Grainer!  

Am a recent AG convert... but nivvver done a Keg - well besides with mates years ago and that was Coopers Kits and Volume - and am keen to work towards kegging AG HB...

Am thinking of doing Secondary Ferment in the keg too @PB2 seems to think it's the business and a mate claims that Coopers Stout kegs certainly years ago had plenty sed in the bottom which would indicate secondary ferment in the keg... 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MitchellScott said:

Enjoyed this for lunch today. A nice cheeseburger and tasting paddle at Five Barrel Brewing, Wollongong. 

Pale ale, Hoppy Amber, Black IPA and a Milk Stout. Yummo. 

Nice Mitch - and decent sized glasses in the paddly ; )

• Like 1

Tried my Founders Centennial IPA tonight pretty happy with it at a lazy 7.8% need to drink this one responsibly due to the aggressive harvested US05. It has a IBU of 65 with magnum the first addition followed by all Centennial after that is getting better with age can’t wait to do this one again with some added gypsum which I have done with my latest Victoria Secret IPA but my brew fridge packed it in 🤬😭 so can’t cold crash🤬at this time. The founders Centennial IPA recipe I got off the small batch site so I just scaled it up to make a bigger batch as I was curious to see what Centennial was like as I couldn’t find the beer here in perth. Must say it is nicely balanced with a nice aroma but not as aggressive as I would have liked but will try different water profile to see the difference 👍

6877A9DB-BEAC-4484-8BB4-4E4035360241.jpeg

• Like 6