Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

11 minutes ago, MitchellScott said:

S5! Time for an upgrade!

My S7's battery is giving me the shits so will be gone soon. Its done pretty well though I must say.

I'n stubborn and have been refusing to succumb to the pressure and allowing myself to be coerced into jumping on the "upgrade your phone every year" bandwagon.  I'm sure manufacturers build in obsolescence with relentless updates that deliberately render phones near useless after a year or two.  Well, that's my conspiracy theory - based on no evidence anyway!  😁 

• Like 2

Just now, BlackSands said:

I'n stubborn and have been refusing to succumb to the pressure and allowing myself to be coerced into jumping on the "upgrade your phone every year" bandwagon.  I'm sure manufacturers build in obsolescence with relentless updates that deliberately render phones near useless after a year or two.  Well, that's my conspiracy theory - based on no evidence anyway!  😁 

I'm feeling you.

One company (I think Apple) was actually fined for doing exactly that in the past.

Bloody phones are so expensive these days though. I could buy a grainfather for the price of a phone!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My wife just got a new phone after 5 years, I just got a newish phone about 8 months ago when I left mine on top of the work car🙄. The insurance got me a Samsung S8 which seems pretty good to me. If It lasts another 3 or 4 years, I will be happy.

So I am having a glass of the Munich MAC in Amarillo, it had a short fwh of Amarillo and then the rest of the boil and dry hop was mosaic, azacca and citra. It is a really good beer, every time I have a glass it surprises me. Malty backbone with good bitterness, hop aroma and head retention. I have to say a good extract beer does beat a fair AG one, cough cough my wheat beer. Anyways, here's the gratuitous beer photos. Again, damn you Blacksands and others for their amazing camera work. Notice how I use the back drop of the wheel barrow for contrast and the screen for depth. I could be a savant in photography.

20190911_161822.thumb.jpg.db9858036daf4fc1d98e4f15a29e9635.jpg20190911_160430.thumb.jpg.7476581abb3e74aef9790305e4fecb4a.jpg

Edited by Norris!
  • Like 4
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Lab Rat said:

The juxtaposition of your carbonation bubbles and depth of field fly screen is very artistic.

I am a savant Mate. It just came to me. I saw the light and thought, the bubbles against the backdrop of the fly screen will make this worthy to be a Coopers' advertisement image.....actually it would be. Yo! Coopers! Call me. For a slab of the XPA, it can be yours. Hand shake deal. If you accept, this can be viewed as an official contract, PM me for the address.

Edited by Norris!
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Norris! said:

So I am having a glass of the Munich MAC in Amarillo, it had a short fwh of Amarillo and then the rest of the boil and dry hop was mosaic, azacca and citra. It is a really good beer, every time I have a glass it surprises me. Malty backbone with good bitterness, hop aroma and head retention. I have to say a good extract beer does beat a fair AG one,..

It looks & sounds terrific Norris. Great glass lacing. A hop combo & beer colour that just makes my mouth water! 🤤

I'm very envious right now.

Congrats on the brew. 😎

Lusty.

• Thanks 1

Cheers Mate! I am expecting the keg to blow any day now, but until it does I will be a happy man. I am actually hoping it blows in about 4 days so I can keg the 3c's pale I got going.

I was surprised by the Munich lme and how well the choc malt came through in color and a slight smoky flavour. The hop combo is pretty nice. I cannot tell how much I am getting from the Amarillo but I am sure it isn't hurting it. I have played with the combo before and I think it is a little more citrusy than other batches, but that could be confirmation bias.  You cannot really go wrong with mosaic and citra together and azacca just helps everything pop a little more and brings some really strong pineapple type flavours and aroma that sits well between the aromas/flavours of citra and mosaic. But that is my super wanker take on it, hahaha.

• Haha 1

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 9:37 PM, PaddyBrew2 said:

Thought you would have pawned off the last of the knk stock on them 

Aaaaaaaaargh Paddy you are onto me 😝

Naaargh this lot are a bit more 'crafty'... and one of them has been a cobber throughout my HB journey and huge supporter of going AG with various bits of insight and hopefully maybe in the future might be helpful with a bit of SS pipe work...

So I took the good stuff down.... though I did slip in KNK Coops Dark Ale Toucan and a full malt Coops Stout at the end.

They reckoned the KNKs were respectable but not the same as the earlier AGs in the sampling run...  reckon I would agree 😋

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 10:19 AM, Otto Von Blotto said:

I don't think it's bias or at least not totally. I don't like 150 lashes much either, it's just a boring beer.

I agree with Kelsey, @MitchBastard and @The Captain!! that a lot of commercial... even a bit more 'up-tempo' commercial stuff -- after doing good AG or drinking quality microbrewery beer -- it all just pales into insignificance... pales or not meh meh ; )

So stuff I used to drink happily - not the megacheap stuff - and think was respectable now seems watery and tasteless.... I don't think it is bias... it is just realization...  the scales have fallen from our eyes... I think that I need to learn a lot still on the AG Brewing Journey, but I am amazed at how good it is already.

• Like 3

Just kegged and bottled two long necks of the Coopers Vintage Ale '19.

Samples tasted pretty good so I am keen to see how it tastes after ageing in the keg for a month or so.

The bottles I will probably age for a year just to compare and will crack them when next year's Vintage Ale is released. 

Happy days, next brew; a lager for my old man for his birthday in November.

Mitch. 

received_1340910252750895.jpeg

• Like 5

Tasted the Amber Ale Mandarina Melon from the Bootmaker thread. I'm not so impressed by the Hüll Melon hops. 80 grams dry hopped and not much presence. Somewhere in the aftertaste are the things described by the hop merchants. Slight hint of Strawberry and Honeydew Melon. Maybe I got a weak batch but I've read that it is a subtle hop. Maybe amber was a bad beer with this hop but I won't try Melon again. 

IMG_20190911_184317.jpg

Edited by der kleine Drache
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

Galaxy may be hard to get over there.

just thinking out loud

Whoops good call Kapitan…. I had some silly idea that DKD was based in Toowong or Scarborough or Paddington, Fannie Bay, Glenelg or Manly ... mmm... maybe if not we should send some over !?!

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

Galaxy may be hard to get over there.

just thinking out loud

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Whoops good call Kapitan…. I had some silly idea that DKD was based in Toowong or Scarborough or Paddington, Fannie Bay, Glenelg or Manly ... mmm... maybe if not we should send some over !?!

I can get Galaxy here in Sweden. Got some Taiheke in the fermenter right now. Is'nt that some sort of Galaxy? 

13 minutes ago, Hairy said:

That's a nice 50/50 you have there.

Yes, think I got too pissed and left the 60 psi fast carb on too long. Just turned the gas to that keg off and will pour until it is better. Odd thing though it doesn't taste/ feel over carbed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, der kleine Drache said:

I can get Galaxy here in Sweden. Got some Taiheke in the fermenter right now. Is'nt that some sort of Galaxy? 

Ooooooooh don't say that DKD....

Descended from German variety Perle, Galaxy® is a unique Australian breed of hops

That other one you mention sounds like from across the sea in that other place... 😝

But get into the Galaxy on a late hop opportunity - reckon that will spice up your life/brew a bit!

• Like 1