Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

Supernova Pale Ale

I used sugar cubes (4.5g) to carb this one and unfortunately it's under carb'ed.  I'm not sure why that is as sugar cubes in other brews, while not delivering a super fizzy result have always been fizzier than this.  🤔    It forms a modest head after a vigorous pour which doesn't stick around very long due to the lack of bubbles!  It laces remarkably well however.  Tastes nice enough but as mentioned on a previous pic of teh beer I'll definitely reduce the supernova malt next time. With the rather delicate hops used in this one (kohatu/pacifica) the supernova @9.5% is dominating a bit too much I reckon.

SupernovaPA_Sept2019-1.jpg

• Like 9

2 hours ago, BlackSands said:

Tastes nice enough but as mentioned on a previous pic of teh beer I'll definitely reduce the supernova malt next time. With the rather delicate hops used in this one (kohatu/pacifica) the supernova @9.5% is dominating a bit too much I reckon. 

Sounds like Caraaroma... No matter what I put it in it tended to dominate the flavour a little too much. Back to the British crystal malts after that. I haven't tried any of the Gladfield spec malts though.

Cheers, 

John 

15 minutes ago, porschemad911 said:

Sounds like Caraaroma... No matter what I put it in it tended to dominate the flavour a little too much. Back to the British crystal malts after that. I haven't tried any of the Gladfield spec malts though.

Cheers, 

John 

Gladfield's Supernova malt is a direct sub for medium crystal... but apparently a drier alternative.   So, not nearly as intense as Caraaroma.   Gladfield do one called "Shepherd's Delight" which is along the same lines as Caraaroma and shares the same kind of cola-like sweetness.   I use Sherpherd's Delight in my amber ales and it works really well in that context. My favourite amber recipe uses 100g Amarrillo though... I think you need a bold hop to compete and compliment! 

46 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I love Caraaroma but it depends on the beer. I use 300g of it in my red ale and it isn't overpowering but in a different recipe that amount may well be. I'll be brewing another batch of that over the weekend, if not tomorrow it'll be Sunday. Need some wort ready for when this pilsner is kegged. 

What size cubes do you use Kelsey?

I like the idea of having wort ready to go.... And I think a Guten or BrewZilla might be on the cards for Chrissy 😄

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, MitchellScott said:

What size cubes do you use Kelsey?

I like the idea of having wort ready to go.... And I think a Guten or BrewZilla might be on the cards for Chrissy 😄

I have two sizes, 20 and 25 litre.

The 20 litre ones I use for 21 litre batches, these just go into a single 19 litre keg. At the moment I reserve these for lagers, porters and stouts.

The 25 litre ones I use for 25 litre batches, which I do for ales. 19 litres goes into a keg and the remainder goes into a 10 litre keg. That one gets 4-5 litres from two ale batches blended together. 

I'm not sure why the smaller cubes give me an extra litre in batch volume compared to their rated volume that the 25 litre ones don't, perhaps they're easier to fill to the brim with my setup. I'm often squeezing more air out of the bigger ones, despite having the same 6ish litres extra in the urn post boil for both sizes. Maybe because they're bigger they expand a little bit more. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Tell you what I’m not drinking, this batch of diastaticus infected ipas.

if anyone says that diastaticus infections are BS, well, here’s the proof.

2D67FE4D-4214-4654-AFD0-9EB705891870.jpeg

BS. There is no such thing you just made mini volcanoes.

• Haha 1

I am drinking a 1 day carbed 3 c's pale ale recipe pack I picked up from LHBS. I always made my own recipes or really pimped out a kit, so I kind of did the same thing with this recipe pack...kind of. I increased the dry hop and the whirlpool hops were cubed, but pretty much the same recipe.

I have to increase my malt knowledge because I don't know nothing about nothing. This recipe packed helped. It had caramunich, munich and pale malt. I can see the impact the munich brought, and can slightly taste it after my last beer, it helped darken the beer and brought some biscuit notes, the caramunich gave it some body and complexity, and the pale malt filled it out. I have to say this is a good beer. It needs another day or two and it will be carbed where I like it and a better head.

20190920_161326.thumb.jpg.6c55dade8f7e8daaeb9fc6a181514328.jpgHops are coming through, especially half way through the glass after it warmed up some. I have to say I never used cascade, centennial and citra together and it is a good combo. The cascade brings some grapefruit notes. I don't like grapefruit but I can smell it and taste it some but the citrus and maybe a floral rose like note is balancing it.

Anyways, cheers to my LHBS and my liberal dry hop, I used 50g of citra, centennial and 30g of cascade. It came it at 1.046 and finished at 1.010 with the US05 and Coopers ale/lager yeast blend I have been using.

20190920_163405.jpg

Edited by Norris!
  • Like 8

I’m trying really hard to like this beer. The red rattler. I don’t know if I did something wrong or what but it is just awful. A bit of apple comes through which is really disappointing and ruins it. I’ve left it in the keg for 3 months. I’m just gonna tip it. I need the keg any way. 

D174099F-2C5E-4543-8D65-4EFA078A5F41.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

My Black IPA. Only a week in the bottle but had them wrapped in blankets and hot water bottle. The week has been mid 20’s here in Perth during the day. Last two days have dipped so perfect dark beer evening 

she is tasting beautiful. Dark, hoppy, dank, aromatic, right amount of bitterness. Would highly recommend this style 

DD7B7790-B38A-4C8A-BE0C-2DD992C855D1.jpeg

• Like 13

Paddy that brew looks really nice and sounds tasty.

Worthog, what do you have going on there? Are those Pluto guns? It looks sweet as and would be fun filling one up, I think. Better than drinking out the fermenter like the old days (my house yesterday).

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

A "sneak-peak" tasting of my "HobGollum" brown ale inspired by the popular English beer Hobgoblin. It's a partial mash brew built on the Coopers OS dark ale can and dosed up with 50g late addition Styrian Golding hops.   Not surprisingly it tastes quite green and though I've used the dark ale tin a few times in the past I don't remember it being this strongly flavoured?   🤔  Anyway...   it clearly needs more time so I'll reserve final judgement 'til then! 

Hobgollum-1.jpg

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 11