Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

5 hours ago, Norris! said:

BBQ and beer. Still sipping on that syrup, I mean the 3c's pale ale. She is a beaut.

Go the Triple C - my AG IPA in the waiting has that late hop and it smelled great when I pulled them out... good stuff Norris!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Captain!! said:

Doesn’t look very effing white to me Pal!!!!!!

bloody nice looking beer though. Nice stuff as always Ben.

Same…. Benny... what relationship has this with WHITE... or is it a WEIZEN?

Looks pretty bllllardy tasty tho

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Haha!

Faithful sidekick: "So Captain Herbal Life, what villains & ruthless criminals shall we catch today?"

Captain Herbal Life: "Maybe we'll do it tomorrow as I'm a bit sleepy today after our trip to Rotterdam yesterday. However, you can certainly go down to the corner store though, & catch me some munchies to replenish my power cells."

Cheers,

Lusty.

Mmmmmmmmmmm Lusty seems to me you have some domain expertise in this area ; )

...  guess the link has been there for a while anyhow... 

image.png.e4422f0b3798f1ca39bb4e2fe30d6a52.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

...  guess the link has been there for a while anyhow... 

image.png.e4422f0b3798f1ca39bb4e2fe30d6a52.png

Many moons ago I grew a big plant that made me very popular at parties. I took all stems and other not so interesting parts from that plant and put it in vodka. Me and my bandmates had a jolly good time with that bottle some years later after a gig in a barn next to where I lived back then. Very nice taste if you like herbal tasting spirits like Zubrovka or Aquavit. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Same…. Benny... what relationship has this with WHITE... or is it a WEIZEN?

http://www.bjcp.org/style/2015/21/21B/specialty-ipa-white-ipa/

Style Comparison

Similar to a Belgian Wit style except highly hopped to the level of an American IPA. Bitter and hoppy like the IPA but fruity, spicy and light like the Wit. Typically the hop aroma and flavor are not as prominent as in an American IPA.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I like the use of the word "Entrepreneurs" in that article title. What they really mean is "Stoners".

9 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Stoners..................................they're everywhere.

• Haha 1

On 9/27/2019 at 11:11 AM, Norris! said:

Columbus hops are actually known for a slight marijuana smell if they become aged.  So your stoner friend has a good nose. Hahah

Screenshot_20190927-114023_Firefox.jpg

It depends how it is used.

In the boil I find it throws similar descriptors as described in your link. The resiny character it can throw, I find quite nice that I feel you can acquire at some level as a flameout/hot steep/whirlpool addition, but wasn't a real fan of it long boiled etc. despite it's use as a bittering hop for many American IPA's. I've used it in various phases of the boil & didn't really like the flavours it gave in the pale ale type beers I generally make. That said, it doesn't mean it won't work very well in other types of beer used that way. Personal taste differ too.

Dry hopping though....................in the right combination of hops,...................I thought it was really, really nice, & different from any other hop I've used that way. I buy it fairly regularly for this use.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi All, 

New Guys here - Joined a few months ago but been lurking in the shadows. First up, put the Lager that came in the box down, was so excited I did it straight away.. Boring. Basic drop with no real flavour profile at all. Jumped straight into a Pale Ale with a short Hop and DME Boil. Much better, but had a little too much bitterness. Then jumped straight into a BIAB partial mash, now we're talking! Starting to use more hops and flavours to gain some real traction! Then tried an All Grain Brew, full Mash and Boil small batch on the stove top, learned HEAPS here, went really well, 4 weeks in the bottle just now, pretty tasty, but has a slightly over bitter finish. Still plenty to learn but am on the right track, going to stick to Pimping kits for a while and playing with Hop combo's etc. Partial Mash for the time being I think. Cheers all!

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Welcome @Jamesrs59, sounds like you are charging head first down the rabbit hole.  Great work.

I look forward to hearing more about your brews

Cheers Shamus

Cheers, 

yeah, definitely got sucked in and carried away pretty quickly, now the key is to make some brews that my wife enjoys so I can throw some more money at this ‘hobby’

Here is my first All Grain attempt, drinking pretty well,  👌🏼 

5EC41000-F085-4E57-859B-A8ED6952851B.jpeg

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Jamesrs59 said:

Hi All, 

New Guys here - Joined a few months ago but been lurking in the shadows. First up, put the Lager that came in the box down, was so excited I did it straight away.. Boring. Basic drop with no real flavour profile at all. Jumped straight into a Pale Ale with a short Hop and DME Boil. Much better, but had a little too much bitterness. Then jumped straight into a BIAB partial mash, now we're talking! Starting to use more hops and flavours to gain some real traction! Then tried an All Grain Brew, full Mash and Boil small batch on the stove top, learned HEAPS here, went really well, 4 weeks in the bottle just now, pretty tasty, but has a slightly over bitter finish. Still plenty to learn but am on the right track, going to stick to Pimping kits for a while and playing with Hop combo's etc. Partial Mash for the time being I think. Cheers all!

Gold J59 - boy have you jumped ahead in leaps and bounds... I brewed Coopers KnK for years - did good stuff - did some adjuncts... and got great results... but only recently gone full tilt into AG... you have just JUMPED out of the gate - welcome aboard and good luck with your brews.  Same as @Shamus O'Sean - look forward to seeing and reading of your brews!!!

Yeah this site and all the Brewers helped me heaps... made the difference to being able to go into AG... 

And now just saw your first AG - well done mate - good stuff.  And it just gets better as you go along!  Finding different recipes and flavours and exploring the world of tasty brews!

Think for me the first big step is temp control - so if you want to do Pils/Lager... you need to use those yeasts... like W34/70... and brew them cool... 

Ales... same - temp control is the biz... but I think they are a little more forgiving if you can get over around 17 degC and keep it fairly steady... 

Anyway - as Shamus notes - welcome aboard.... Brew Up and Brew On!

• Like 1

Hey Ho!

Here we go on the AG Weizen Trail... with that beautiful thing liquid yeast W3068... really nice with a slice of fresh aromatic lemon... and some nice German bread... Laugenbrot… Roggenbrot.. Wurst… Saure Gurken… Schinken… Kaes'..

English... pretzel-bread, rye bread, salami, gherkin, prosciutto and cheese ; )

Sorry Bakers and Smallgoods Legends... only thing mine is my glorious Weissbier! 😋

That good... think I shall have another ; )

image.png.8f502627d615eea285d235e1fcb75361.png

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Gold J59 - boy have you jumped ahead in leaps and bounds... I brewed Coopers KnK for years - did good stuff - did some adjuncts... and got great results... but only recently gone full tilt into AG... you have just JUMPED out of the gate - welcome aboard and good luck with your brews.  Same as @Shamus O'Sean - look forward to seeing and reading of your brews!!!

Yeah this site and all the Brewers helped me heaps... made the difference to being able to go into AG... 

And now just saw your first AG - well done mate - good stuff.  And it just gets better as you go along!  Finding different recipes and flavours and exploring the world of tasty brews!

Think for me the first big step is temp control - so if you want to do Pils/Lager... you need to use those yeasts... like W34/70... and brew them cool... 

Ales... same - temp control is the biz... but I think they are a little more forgiving if you can get over around 17 degC and keep it fairly steady... 

Anyway - as Shamus notes - welcome aboard.... Brew Up and Brew On!

Thanks mate, appreciate the support. I do think it’s a big factor, have been sitting around 20deg up until late, have a spot in the house that just stays nice and cool, in the past few weeks as we have had a bit of a warmer spell, it’s jumped to 22deg majority of the time but doesn’t fluctuate which I guess is good.

I don’t have the space nor the funds to change that at this point and time, most of the problem is space.. which is a pain but I’ll work with what I’ve got as best I can for now, hence the feeling that partials will have to do for now. And bottles. Same thing, I’d love to keg, just no space. 4 kids in a full household has me real limited. But keen to keep progressing, have 2 FV’s now with ample bottles so no reason to slow down just need to use the old wet tshirt over the FV combo. Thinking a tub with a few ice bricks may work also.. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Jamesrs59 said:

Thanks mate, appreciate the support. I do think it’s a big factor, have been sitting around 20deg up until late, have a spot in the house that just stays nice and cool, in the past few weeks as we have had a bit of a warmer spell, it’s jumped to 22deg majority of the time but doesn’t fluctuate which I guess is good.

I don’t have the space nor the funds to change that at this point and time, most of the problem is space.. which is a pain but I’ll work with what I’ve got as best I can for now, hence the feeling that partials will have to do for now. And bottles. Same thing, I’d love to keg, just no space. 4 kids in a full household has me real limited. But keen to keep progressing, have 2 FV’s now with ample bottles so no reason to slow down just need to use the old wet tshirt over the FV combo. Thinking a tub with a few ice bricks may work also.. 

You should be fine especially if you stick to the Ale side of life... of which there is so much amazing opportunity... so many good brews... and leave the Cool Brews till the cooler times maybe... 

Yeah I was lucky when I went AG that I acquired a fridge and bought an inkbird temp controller and heat pad and so had a good break... funny most of the first brews I was only heating (winter) and not cooling...

anyway... you are OFF AND RACING and if you keep track of what you have done you will only improve!

I am looking into the keg thing - but I have done bottles for years - and besides the extra work - bottles are very very good... very practical and mostly hassle free... read the Kegging thread!

No leaky pipes and  burping issues... other then when the drinker has had a few too many!?!  😝

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Jamesrs59 said:

Thinking a tub with a few ice bricks may work also..

A Cool Brewing Bag plus a few blue ice bricks may be the answer. Mine has been great for years and you can easily move it around the house or pack it away if space is tight and you need to be flexible. 

Cheers, 

John 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Jamesrs59 said:

What’s the brand mate? Where can I get one

It’s just called a cool brewing bag. I got mine from one of my LHBS at Strathpine in North Brisbane. They don’t have it listed but that’s where I got mine from.

https://thebrewshed.com.au/

Maybe just ring a shop near you and ask.

This is the US website for them. https://www.cool-brewing.com/