Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

Redback Pale Ale - This is a kit/extract beer, which I don't do too often, named 'redback' because I've used Gladfield redback malt as a sub for the usual crystal.   It's a mix of a Coopers OS lager and a 1.7kg can of wheat malt (equates to 25% wheat all up), plus the steeped redback malt of course.  Equal doses of Motueka and Wakatu hops.   Another reminder of how good a kit/extract beer can be.  Will probably brew again as a partial-mash though, sub'ing in Gladfield ale malt and wheat malt for the wheat LME.  

😋

RedbackPA-1.jpg

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 13

5 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

My White IPA .... keg must be nearing empty as it is quite clear. Bowl of home grown pepper next to it.

Beaut Benny... and Gold re the Home Grown Pepper... luvyerwork!

Got some Red Earth Hoppers starting... but the lack of rain and late frosts might nail them... see how we go.

Cheer mate. BB

Belgian Golden Strong from my new batch. I dont make golden strongs as often as my othet belgians and made a change with this one and pitched at 1.0 v my usual 0.75. A touch muted compared to the 0.75 but im actually liking it better. Maybe its the weather. Zero alcohol taste as well despite the 8.5 ish ABV level.

1571127914973-907603578.jpg

• Like 13

Everyday Pale Ale.

Amarillo and Centennial. 

Nose is all pine and a hint of citrus.

colour is more orange than I expected which is good as I was trying for a orange beer. 

Mouthfeel is perfect. Bit of body but it finishes dry.  

Taste is citrus and stonefruit. Like nectarine maybe, then a bit of pine and citrus peel. 

It’s got a really nice lingering bitterness 

Bloody nice beer. 

D1C0C79E-63EA-4CBF-AF36-002660034FEF.jpeg

• Like 13

4 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Looks awesome Cap. Cant go wrong with centennial or amarillo

Cheers Greeny. 

The hops I got from Grain and Grape are really good quality. The centennial is phenomenal and the Amarillo is so much more pungent then I’ve ever experienced. 

In a year or so when I go through these 5kg of hops I’ll buy from them again for sure. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

This is my house pale, finally got it to where I want it after three attempts. So it now gets a name

Faded Jeans Pale Ale. 

My initial reason behind this pale was to brew something that was cheap, inoffensive and easy drinking. 

Hops are Centennial, Cascade and Mosaic. All are easily accessible and fairly cheap. Basic malt grist and easy peasy to brew. 

At 5% it’s very very easy drinking

E22A0AC8-DF8A-44B1-A673-0ACDCFC0669A.jpeg

• Like 11

30 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

This is my house pale, finally got it to where I want it after three attempts. So it now gets a name

Faded Jeans Pale Ale. 

My initial reason behind this pale was to brew something that was cheap, inoffensive and easy drinking. 

Hops are Centennial, Cascade and Mosaic. All are easily accessible and fairly cheap. Basic malt grist and easy peasy to brew. 

At 5% it’s very very easy drinking

E22A0AC8-DF8A-44B1-A673-0ACDCFC0669A.jpeg

Really like the name, I can already see the marketing campaign crossovers with whatever jean is in fashion.

Nice hop selection Kirk and that beer looks lovely. I have been playing with the idea of, for multiple hopped beers, going with the 2 to 1 combo of a fairly low cost hop combo and a more expensive one to try to balance out the costs while still maximising flavour and aroma. The simple malt bill has to help with that, while allowing the characteristics you want to shine. Love your work Mate.

Norris

• Like 3

Day 10 taster of the Chubby Cherub. Can't see this being a second time brew for me. And the Coopers description is a bit all over the map.

First, Coopers recipe pic shows a light golden beer, much like Little Creatures, one of the styles it's based on. My beer, brewed to their recipe is a medium copper more like any of my winter ales (LC on the left, CC on the right).

The taste is closer to Coopers description - stone fruit and marmalade, nothing remotely like LC, which, having just bought one, is subtly hoppy and floral. However, both LC and the CC use the same hops - Cascade and Chinook. Don't know what other beer they based this on, but it must taste more like that one.

20191018_172008_resized.thumb.jpg.53c44d7c392708e13aa4474f23824b92.jpg

• Like 2

My take on the Chubby Cherub based on the description is - Cross between a Fat Yak and  LCPA.  Chubby are Nelson/Cascade (FY) and Cherub Chinook/Cascade (LCPA).

After spending July overseas I brewed a modified version using both the light and amber malt extract tins with Chinook and cascade pellets and cascade flowers as a quick brew. I've brewed the coopers recipe to the letter and after both versions I find the amber tin a little much. Still a great extract beer though.

Currently drinking a Victoria pale ale no chilled with magnum (the horror of it all)

78% Gladfield Ale

14% Golden Promise

6% Munich

2% Crystal 80L

5g Magnum 60mins - 6 IBU

300g dried Victoria hop flowers (Estimated 13%) FO 5mins - 40 IBU

Only two weeks in bottle.

20190921_142232.jpg

20191018_201652.jpg

Edited by Maurice79
  • Like 8

On 10/17/2019 at 4:53 PM, The Captain!! said:

Cheers Greeny. 

The hops I got from Grain and Grape are really good quality. The centennial is phenomenal and the Amarillo is so much more pungent then I’ve ever experienced. 

In a year or so when I go through these 5kg of hops I’ll buy from them again for sure. 

I got a kg of Vic secret from grain and grape as well awesome hops also very fresh got them during the Father’s Day sale👍👍👍

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Norris! said:

Really like the name, I can already see the marketing campaign crossovers with whatever jean is in fashion.

Nice hop selection Kirk and that beer looks lovely. I have been playing with the idea of, for multiple hopped beers, going with the 2 to 1 combo of a fairly low cost hop combo and a more expensive one to try to balance out the costs while still maximising flavour and aroma. The simple malt bill has to help with that, while allowing the characteristics you want to shine. Love your work Mate.

Norris

Cheers about the name mate. 

I made this beer for people that think local beer is awesome. Some of it is not.

like ya say, one expensive hop to two less so. It’s easy to do. 

Pros do this sort of thing all the time. Subtlety is what this beer is about but at the same time, f**k you! I’m a beer! Such a w@nker!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

I bet it was. The last Vic Secret IPA I did I had to let it age a month or so before i turned it on. It was well intense

Gave my dad a glass could smell it from a meter away was thinking of making a stone and wood clone with vic secret instead of galaxy 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lab Rat said:

Day 10 taster of the Chubby Cherub. Can't see this being a second time brew for me. And the Coopers description is a bit all over the map.

First, Coopers recipe pic shows a light golden beer, much like Little Creatures, one of the styles it's based on. My beer, brewed to their recipe is a medium copper more like any of my winter ales (LC on the left, CC on the right).

The taste is closer to Coopers description - stone fruit and marmalade, nothing remotely like LC, which, having just bought one, is subtly hoppy and floral. However, both LC and the CC use the same hops - Cascade and Chinook. Don't know what other beer they based this on, but it must taste more like that one.

20191018_172008_resized.thumb.jpg.53c44d7c392708e13aa4474f23824b92.jpg

Does that one use an amber malt tin? That would be responsible for the darker colour. I did a few extract batches with it back in the day and they were all the same copper colour, not like a pale ale. I reckon it would be closer to LC if it just used light malt and a bit of medium crystal, in color at least. 

I did brew a pale ale a while back using those two hops which came out pretty close to LC. It wasn't intentional though, at the time I didn't even know they used the same hops in it. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Does that one use an amber malt tin? That would be responsible for the darker colour. I did a few extract batches with it back in the day and they were all the same copper colour, not like a pale ale. I reckon it would be closer to LC if it just used light malt and a bit of medium crystal, in color at least. 

I did brew a pale ale a while back using those two hops which came out pretty close to LC. It wasn't intentional though, at the time I didn't even know they used the same hops in it. 

Yes, the recipe is Amber & light tins and hops. So why would they show a pic of a beer that probably hasn't used amber malt?

16 minutes ago, Lab Rat said:

Yes, the recipe is Amber & light tins and hops. So why would they show a pic of a beer that probably hasn't used amber malt?

Good question. Unless it did and the lighting and editing made it look different. But, any time I've used that tin I've always thought the beer was darker than pale ales usually are. That's actually why I used it in those brews. 

15 hours ago, Maurice79 said:

My take on the Chubby Cherub based on the description is - Cross between a Fat Yak and  LCPA.  Chubby are Nelson/Cascade (FY) and Cherub Chinook/Cascade (LCPA).

After spending July overseas I brewed a modified version using both the light and amber malt extract tins with Chinook and cascade pellets and cascade flowers as a quick brew. I've brewed the coopers recipe to the letter and after both versions I find the amber tin a little much. Still a great extract beer though.

Thanks - it should have been obvious, the CC is aiming somewhere in between Fat Yak and LC, they said it was two well known Aus pales ales.

This is the sort of beer I was hoping for, but Coopers have missed the mark by a long way if that's what they were after. It's nothing like a hybrid of both beers - it's more of a basic hopped amber ale. Not a fan of amber ales as a style, but love amber in my bitters.

Did you ever do a version without the Amber? I'd like to try for a beer that Coopers were  going for, would that just be two tins of light and same the hop schedule?

19 hours ago, RDT2 said:

I got a kg of Vic secret from grain and grape as well awesome hops also very fresh got them during the Father’s Day sale👍👍👍

GOLD... geeze Louise... buying by the Kilo... you are now really setting the pace RD!

• Like 1