Coopers Community

Todays tastings

supernerdy

Seems like mine is pretty good in comparison... bit more yeast in my glass there and also was late hopped with Mandarina Bavaria so has a bit more of that hoppy nice tone... all good. 

Am quietly pleased....  did not realise that my wheaties were not really that far from the truth - had not had a Bavarian HW for a while - and it seems I am not that far off ; )

image.thumb.png.f13608c65c79579e19665150417cbee7.png

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Graubart said:

For research purposes only... and as @Pale Man and @Aussiekraut know only too well.... if you want to search for the Absolute Truth for Hefeweizen.... then Bayern is the only place to go ; )

So am going to try my bottled HW after this and see how it all compares haha!

image.thumb.png.8605363edaedc8d01c16d0e9d5127b8e.png

Youre up against some stiff opposition there GB.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Graubart said:

Seems like mine is pretty good in comparison... bit more yeast in my glass there and also was late hopped with Mandarina Bavaria so has a bit more of that hoppy nice tone... all good. 

Am quietly pleased....  did not realise that my wheaties were not really that far from the truth - had not had a Bavarian HW for a while - and it seems I am not that far off ; )

image.thumb.png.f13608c65c79579e19665150417cbee7.png

Your HW looks a lot paler in the glass, or is that just some quirk of the photo's?

17 hours ago, kmar92 said:

Your HW looks a lot paler in the glass, or is that just some quirk of the photo's?

might be a tiny bit lighter mate.... maybe the cloudiness too - loadsa yeast ?

And the sun had escaped ; )

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 1

@CLASSIC 😂 was wondering why you wanted to know about my prostate when we talking beer. I only paid 49paor a slab of the half litres in my small town limited in what imports can get. Head retention doesn't last long but is not bad euro drop cant get much else since covid imports are hard get.

22 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Was just thinking @kmar92 KMar too.... if you want a bit more golden or amber - it is v easy to add some more more Munich or Vienna...

Thanks @Graubart, no I wasn't trying for more amber tones I guess that I was just thinking out loud and comparing the colours of your HW against Weihenstephan HW and wondering if the colours in the photo's were as you remembered the 2 brews colourwise.

Anyway Grey One, cheers!

1585e.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

@CLASSIC 😂 was wondering why you wanted to know about my prostate when we talking beer. I only paid 49paor a slab of the half litres in my small town limited in what imports can get. Head retention doesn't last long but is not bad euro drop cant get much else since covid imports are hard get.

Yeah Jamie, you really have to pay attention before you hit send these  days,  I normally use the computer for forum,  sitting outside with a drink on the phone, keyboard too small. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kmar92 said:

comparing the colours of your HW against Weihenstephan HW and wondering if the colours in the photos were as you remembered the 2 brews colourwise

My memory of German Weizen and esp Hefeweizen is that it is not that Orange... the Weihenstephaner ones we have been drinking and posted - seem more orange... I sorta think that MAYBE somehow they are shipped with less Hefe - dunno - I think with more Hefe it becomes lighter and more opaque I guess?  And I will try to get my own HW next photo in the Sun haha!

Mmmm maybe my memory is not so good - maybe Bavarian HW are that orange-ish tone... here is a historical photo of a big Fest a few years ago at The German Club at The Gabba... and sneaking in a couple more at last orders ; )  They were yummy Erdinger...  with one stray Pils (handle) of unknown provenance thrown in for good measure haha! 🥳

Any thoughts on HW colours @Aussiekraut AK?

image.thumb.png.edbe65d099103f0f424673375c90e08b.png

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Graubart said:

My memory of German Weizen and esp Hefeweizen is that it is not that Orange... the Weihenstephaner ones we have been drinking and posted - seem more orange... I sorta think that MAYBE somehow they are shipped with less Hefe - dunno - I think with more Hefe it becomes lighter and more opaque I guess?  And I will try to get my own HW next photo in the Sun haha!

Mmmm maybe my memory is not so good - maybe Bavarian HW are that orange-ish tone... here is a historical photo of a big Fest a few years ago at The German Club at The Gabba... and sneaking in a couple more at last orders ; )  They were yummy Erdinger...  with one stray Pils (handle) of unknown provenance thrown in for good measure haha! 🥳

Any thoughts on HW colours @Aussiekraut AK?

They do vary in colour. Franziskaner is a little more on the light side, whereas something like a Schneider is rather dark, darker than an Erdinger for example. Karlsberg (the German Brewery, not the Danish Carlsberg) started making a quite nice Hefeweizen in the mid 80s, which was on the very light end of the colour spectrum. Despite not being from Bavaria, it was pretty good but then again, their head brewer at the time was Bavarian 🙂 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

They do vary in colour. Franziskaner is a little more on the light side, whereas something like a Schneider is rather dark, darker than an Erdinger for example. Karlsberg (the German Brewery, not the Danish Carlsberg) started making a quite nice Hefeweizen in the mid 80s, which was on the very light end of the colour spectrum. Despite not being from Bavaria, it was pretty good but then again, their head brewer at the time was Bavarian 🙂 

Good stuff - thanks @Aussiekraut AK... it would not be too hard for me to add a tad more Munich Malt to my wheaties and it would darken the colour substantially.... Haha I seem to spend my time trying to make things less dark haha...  And now it seems mine was for once was too light?

... according to convention and it was nice to compare to an original.

On the other hand it does not matter that much - as you point out there is a range. 

My last run on beers has been dominated by Vienna, Munich, Maris Otter and Voyager Veloria - all more golden amber-ish than Pale...   only just got some lighter malt in so will be having a crack at some lighter coloured brews again 🙂 

And my next Hefeweizen I might go darker... am thinking even of a Weizenbock maybe... maybe a bit like the famous Vitus (haha if I can get anywhere near it that is)

image.thumb.png.83aa19818799da5484e5be6229d08031.png

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Good stuff - thanks @Aussiekraut AK... it would not be too hard for me to add a tad more Vienna or Munich Malt to my wheaties and it would darken the colour substantially.... Haha I seem to spend my time trying to make things less dark haha... and now it seems mine was for once was too light... according to convention  ; )  and on the other hand it does not matter that much - as you point out there is a range. 

My last run on beers has been dominated by Vienna, Munich, Maris Otter and Voyager Veloria - all more golden amber-ish than Pale...   only just got some lighter malt in so will be having a crack at some lighter coloured brews again 🙂

In the end, it's the taste that counts 🙂 I never used the Voyager Veloria. I like the price of it though. I've heard good things about it but never bought any. Maybe I should next time I order grains. 

• Like 1

Hawkers (Vic) Pale Ale 4.8%. i like this one, wouldn't drink it as an everyday beer like i could the cooper's pale ale but it is one i'd drink when out.

IMG_7007.thumb.jpg.23f3c3f622c7c5013702efeffee37daf.jpg

(working my way through a hawkers mixed six pack from the work fridge on beer o'clock fridays)

Edited by Stickers
typo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/11/2021 at 9:10 AM, Aussiekraut said:

In the end, it's the taste that counts 🙂 I never used the Voyager Veloria. I like the price of it though. I've heard good things about it but never bought any. Maybe I should next time I order grains. 

Definitely worth it mate - you may have a little less efficiency - sucking out the fermentables in the mash -  but just use a little more - I think you will be pleasantly surprised what it has to offer - especially for Ales... lovely ; )  Maybe a bit more body but a bit less in ABV...  and is nice to be able to use local grains.

Was my major Malt in my first Pale Mozzie which turned out just plain outrageously effective... and saved me in time of duress with the nasty fires late 19 😬

image.thumb.png.d99e7816b5afdca8e3e2248e41d15a2f.png

• Like 2

20210213_154259.thumb.jpg.32b1e28c486dbed68818feac501fa3f3.jpg

A west city NEIPA  ,  like the colour and the aroma  is very good  love the hop flavouring in this and not only has it got a nice mouthfeel  but has a good  bitterness to it

i wouldnt sit on these at 7.7%abv    its certainly will knock ya rockets off

440ml cans  i say 1 is enough to enjoy this bad boy

• Like 2