Coopers Community

Todays tastings

supernerdy

1 hour ago, Graubart said:

If you like that style of beer - well brew it!

Thanks for that advise mate yes i will eventually brew a mid strength for the keg when i figure out a good recipe for extract that doesn't compromise too much on mouth feel and body. Ill be doing a couple more full strength pilsners and pale ales before i give this a go though. I always seem to get slightly less attenuation and alcohol  content from recipes on here that say add this and this and should get this so have some experimenting to do.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Graubart said:

Queensland in the great beer strike of 1978

Sheet! I was buying beer at 10? Guess the liquor laws were less stringent then....

I remember me and my mate getting a 6 pack of emu piddle and thinking it still tasted like shite.

That’s when we found rum and coke!

Edited by NewBrews
  • Haha 1

At least there is some romanticism or nostalgia to the old beers. You tell stories about your Dad drinking KB when you were a kid.

I feel sorry for the young ones now who, in 10-15 years time, tell their friends that their dad used to drink Great Northern. Unless Great Northern is held with the same esteem as KB in another 10-15 years.

So the lesson is “Drink what you want but please think about the kids”.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

When I was a kid my old man used to bring home longnecks ( probably Southwark or West End Draught ) in a brown paper bag after the pub closed at 6.00 !

Rellies & friends would turn up with the same, ladies usually had a shandy or Barossa Pearl or Cold Duck sparkling wine.

My old man & his brother started making home brew in the shed back in the 60's & as us kids grew older used to nick some & replace the bottles filled with water, they caught on eventually & there was a lock put on the door.

Still fond memories of the old early closing days & the rush to buy take away - how things have changed !

Cheers

Phil

• Like 4

4 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

longnecks ( probably Southwark or West End Draught ) in a brown paper bag after the pub closed at 6.00 !

Barossa Pearl or Cold Duck sparkling wine.

Haha Phil - cracking memories mate - the old largie in a brown paper bag..... used to be known as a "Homey" haha!

And ah - the Barossa Pearl and Cold Duck... festive memories mate!!!  😋

Edited by Graubart

10 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Yes & good old Don Dunstan in his Pink Shorts

Do you remember this classic event - when Don went down to challenge the waves?

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/adelaide-remember-when-clairvoyant-john-nash-predicted-earthquake-and-tidal-wave-would-obliterate-adelaide-in-january-1976/news-story/e11935a6d44b5281a47bbfdd65b2dc2d

8 hours ago, Hilltop hops said:

Sparkling Ale at Coopers Ale House Wallaroo. Also had the XPA both great on tap. 

20210117_172210.jpg

The aged version of Sparkling on tap is a beauty of a beer. They have it at the Austral on Rundle Street. Always call in for a couple of them.

• Like 2

On 1/16/2021 at 9:14 AM, CLASSIC said:

When I was a kid my old man used to bring home longnecks ( probably Southwark or West End Draught ) in a brown paper bag after the pub closed at 6.00 !

Rellies & friends would turn up with the same, ladies usually had a shandy or Barossa Pearl or Cold Duck sparkling wine.

My old man & his brother started making home brew in the shed back in the 60's & as us kids grew older used to nick some & replace the bottles filled with water, they caught on eventually & there was a lock put on the door.

Still fond memories of the old early closing days & the rush to buy take away - how things have changed !

Cheers

Phil

When I was growing up as a youngster, in the mid 70s, my parents were very young. Dad was just out of an apprenticeship and didn't make much money. He used to scrape all the loose change together Mum had, buy a couple of longnecks and take me and my sister to the drive in to watch a movie.  Dad had his two or three longnecks of Southark Bitter, Mum would take us to the canteen during a break. We watched movies such as Jaws, King Kong, Planet Of The Apes and the rest. Thems were the days.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

I agree, the Coopers beers are among the best, especially the Pale Ale. In the winter ( or anytime ) their Stout. I have been to many Craft Breweries & tried even more, there are some really good ones & some shockers.

I have a soft spot for Coopers Sparkling and Coopers Stout. I can take or leave the rest. Pale Ale is ok.

43 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

I tried that once as Liquor Land had it on special. I bought a six pack but won't be back for a carton ! It was OK though, I would rather Steinlager, has the same ABV.

Cheers

Phil

I got a carton because on holidays and didn't want keep going back but yes it's drinkable wouldn't get again in hurry not awful but not fantastic 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CLASSIC said:

How can you afford holidays ? Being self-employed most of my life I just waited for retirement. 🧑‍🦯 

haven't been on one for a while with the family mate staying in the border bubble give Aussies some much needed money