Coopers Community

Todays tastings

supernerdy

Not now Bernard.... an archive AG Munich Lager...  in a lovely Bernard swingy.... full bodied and exhibits very very nice tiny tiny bubbles... Gold

Yes yes and I coulda done a better job at pouring... still tastes v nice ; )

image.thumb.png.bbe18c136b154c0f1c998aa53a17b1f4.png

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

As it's going to be 38 degrees in Adelaide today I thought I had better get something to drink - $15.00 for 6 x 500ml @ BWS, not too bad, hoping it tastes OK

Drank a fair crack of this stuff before coming back to Brewing... it is I think pretty good value all up... used to be able to get a carton for mid 40s...  Is a Reinheitsgebot beer and although I think there are plenty that are miles better.... this is a great beer to 'tide you over' to something better... and plenty exist that cost more per ml and are much worse.  Hope you enjoy them @CLASSIC mate!  Quite malty compared to aussie megaswill beers... be interested to read what you think mate!

5 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Drank a fair crack of this stuff before coming back to Brewing... it is I think pretty good value all up... used to be able to get a carton for mid 40s...  Is a Reinheitsgebot beer and although I think there are plenty that are miles better.... this is a great beer to 'tide you over' to something better... and plenty exist that cost more per ml and are much worse.  Hope you enjoy them @CLASSIC mate!  Quite malty compared to aussie megaswill beers... be interested to read what you think mate!

I will be opening one shortly, will report my taste findings 🍻

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Not now Bernard.... an archive AG Munich Lager...  in a lovely Bernard swingy.... full bodied and exhibits very very nice tiny tiny bubbles... Gold

Yes yes and I coulda done a better job at pouring... still tastes v nice ; )

image.thumb.png.bbe18c136b154c0f1c998aa53a17b1f4.png

I went out with a Czech lady & have tried this & many others - all good.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Graubart said:

The internet ratings are quite kind to this beer, but I understand there a better ones out there. BWS have a promo with points on the Rewards card so taking advantage ot that. Cheers.

• Haha 1

OeTTINGER Pils Review

OK, I think first impression is it pours nice, holds the head well, slightly light on taste but a after a couple of slurps it starts to kick in. I would give this 7.5-8 out of 10

given that is works out to 3 litres of beer for $15.00. For me it is the type of beer I could drink with some foods ( pizza, seafood etc ) as I prefer wine.

Cheers Phil

20210110_142105[1].jpg

20210110_142145[1].jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Anyone seen these yet? Apparently limited edition and made to the old recipe. Wouldn't mind a try to see what the old man saw in it.

No.  I do not know anything about this beer.  Out of interest were they planning to do it as an ale or a lager?  Didn't most of these beers start out as ales? 

1 minute ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

No.  I do not know anything about this beer.  Out of interest were they planning to do it as an ale or a lager?  Didn't most of these beers start out as ales? 

You've never heard of the old green death? I'm pretty sure it was a lager back then. The old man called it Southark or Green Death. It was pretty much all that was available in our town in the 70's.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I grew up with "Green Death" I still have memories of the monster headaches. In the 70's & early 80's The West End Brewery owned & leased most of the Hotels in Adelaide, Port Adelaide, Adelaide Hills & regional areas. West End Export & West End Draught came along after. Southwark has pretty deadly & it wasn't long before some SA pubs started stocking Carlton Draught, Melbourne Bitter etc to offer a wider range. The interstate visitors wouldn't drink SA Beer & unfortunately most still think we do. When I was travelling through Vic & NSW extensively with my Stubby Holder business & staying & drinking in the Pubs, the locals used to sling off at the Crow Eater & the SA  beers !

Thank goodness tor Home Brew & all of the imported & craft beers available today. We surely have a great choice.

Cheers

Phil.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Attached info might be interesting to somebody, ref: Southwark Bitter ( Green Death )

beeradelaide.com/blog.php?ID=10048

cant figure out how do that on my phone so has the brewery there already closed? how long do they plan to brew it in eastern states and ship it back to Adelaide for? would be good to at least try get my hands on 6 pack of it

3 hours ago, Pale Man said:

The old man called it Southark or Green Death. It was pretty much all that was available in our town in the 70's.

Green Death made a short foray into Queensland in the great beer strike of 1978... before my beer drinking time... but memory says that Southwark was not favoured... well neither was Reschs or anything else from memory haha from the XXXX drinkers... back then there was XXXX and XXXX and XXXX and nothing else - none of this Heavy, Gold and Elephant and Dry nonnnnsense and it was 4.8 or 4.9% and had some malt and hop taste and you either went to a XXXX pub or a Carlton Pub.  There were no "outta state" beers back then.  Filth. Don't even think about it haha!

Just found this cracking vid on a quick search - and lo and behold - Southwark rates a special mention with the classic statement regarding importing outta state beers with  "...even beer from South Australia" haha!  Will be interested to hear from you Brewers what it actually tastes like...  Vague memory was that back then some SA mates seemed to think that Southwark was just fine...  

Edited by Graubart

image.thumb.png.d5b06b763ff62bdd1359e8ce8850d3b3.png

This is a great bit of history of the old Southwark... and I remember that XXXX also used to be called 'Bitter' - just looked - and it still is...

But if you go to Pom and ask for a Pint of Bitter... well that is something else... Ale Yeast and Ale Malts... and the above interestingly suggests Southward STYLE was English Bitter.... and then declares it was an Aussie Lager...  guess us HB folk are into the whole world of beer a bit more so we come across some of the jargon a little more... as a Pint of Bitter vs a Halbe of Helles are very different things... one an English Beer vs Euro/German/Czech Lager style Lager... so the definition above seems to be a little at cross purposes if I am not mistaken... 

As for the hops - I like that Southwark has "25% more hops" - but "Hardly any hop taste" - so I guess it goes to show how watery megaswill was even then...

As for current Great Northwaterswill... it is even worse than standard Aussie megaswill and seems to keep marching out of dirty Dan's doors... the power of advertising hey?

• Like 1

I just hope I can get my hands on the limited edition version if it is made to an old recipe. My Dad loved it when he was young, but I guess it was beer and all he had. He drank it out of longnecks.

Apologies for going off track with the thread, but an old Southark pull top can I have in the shed.

20210115_145239.jpg

• Like 4

I would be glad that it was empty 😑 some old blokes used to say it was best drank at a noisy BBQ with a hangover with noisy kids, smoke filled yard from the BBQ & barking dogs, but it certainly did have its place - my old man used to drink it as did the rellies.

It goes down in history with a lot of other bad ones, you are right about Great Northern - Yuk.

Hope you get the limited edition..

• Haha 1