Coopers Community

Todays tastings

supernerdy

41 minutes ago, John E Miller said:

Bought a six pack mix pack at Dan Murphy's today, mostly beer styles I've brewed but never actually tried commercial versions of! 

Today was Kolsch. Tasted like mine so I'm happy to have hit the mark 😀

20210228_175746.jpg

hmmm    you need to do some hand washing with those classes    having co2 sticking to the sides  is the sign of a dirty glass...

mate bit of pbw  in some hotwater with a chucks cloth  and a bottle bottle brush if you need to

how water rinse    

and then a bit of sanitiser   

alow to drip dry on a tea tea towel or towl   

then you will have the carb firing on all cylinders   trying to eascape  but gets trapped  to the nice head you will have

but totally upto you how you like your glasses

love alot of coloniel beers   in which some bottleshops will not  sell it due to it being offensive to indigenous people

still they make a nice drop

Edited by ozdevil

9 hours ago, ozdevil said:

hmmm    you need to do some hand washing with those classes    having co2 sticking to the sides  is the sign of a dirty glass...

mate bit of pbw  in some hotwater with a chucks cloth  and a bottle bottle brush if you need to

how water rinse    

and then a bit of sanitiser   

alow to drip dry on a tea tea towel or towl   

then you will have the carb firing on all cylinders   trying to eascape  but gets trapped  to the nice head you will have

but totally upto you how you like your glasses

love alot of coloniel beers   in which some bottleshops will not  sell it due to it being offensive to indigenous people

still they make a nice drop

Cool, thanks for the heads up. I had no idea that's why the bubbles were on the side of the glass. It doesn't usually happen, I thought this beer was just extra effervescent. I must have been lazy last time I cleaned the glass. 

PC backlash over the name made me want to support the brewery even more!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/28/2021 at 8:05 PM, John E Miller said:

Today was Kolsch. 

Colonial's beer looks to have very big bubbles...  interesting... probably not particularly full bodied then John?

Mmm guess might be right for lighter style... will have to wait till I have a crack at a Kölsch meself I guess... but suspect that the Brewer won't do 4.8% at Graubartigebräu if history is anything to go by 😬

Edited by Graubart

21 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Colonial's beer looks to have very big bubbles...  interesting... probably not particularly full bodied then John?

It's probably a dirty(ish) glass.

Edit: I now see this has already been addressed.

Edited by Hairy
  • Like 1

Just now, Hairy said:

It could be a dirty(ish) glass.

Thanks Hairy - and @ozdevil Oz does mention that above to @John E Miller re bubbles on side of glass...  so maybe is just an artefact of that phenomenon 🤔

I do think - and I may be completely wrong - happy to be corrected - that some of the brews I did in the past more from KnK and dry malt - had bigger bubbles more so than the AG brews I have done more recently - which seemed to be able to develop quite a nice fine bead and tiny bubbles in the head... which may then relate to more creamy mouthfeel?

And then the Nitro beergas bubbles are tinier again with the Nitro influence... or so it seems?  All part of the great exploratory beer journey... 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Graubart said:

Mmm guess might be right for lighter style... will have to wait till I have a crack at a Kölsch meself I guess... but suspect that the Brewer won't do 4.8% at Graubartigebräu if history is anything to go by 😬

Yeah, pretty light bodied but still a bit of sweetness there. I think Kolsch is supposed to attenuate pretty low. You'll go bigger ABV you reckon GB?

Edited by John E Miller
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Graubart said:

I do think - and I may be completely wrong - happy to be corrected - that some of the brews I did in the past more from KnK and dry malt - had bigger bubbles more so than the AG brews I have done more recently - which seemed to be able to develop quite a nice fine bead and tiny bubbles in the head... which may then relate to more creamy mouthfeel?

I reckon I've found this too. My AG beers have a finer bead. I don't like a beer that's too "bubbly" like lemonade 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John E Miller said:

I reckon I've found this too. My AG beers have a finer bead. I don't like a beer that's too "bubbly" like lemonade 

Cheers JEM yeah I don't really think it is a matter of the partial pressure (or being too bubbly) of the CO2 in solution i.e. higher pressure or not... but more so the interaction of the solution qualities with the gas emerging... well yeah I guess also with Nitro Beergas it also will be the type of gas in solution as well.  But just in the CO2 world...  I think it has a whole lot to do with the solution quality i.e. the body of the beer and the types of compounds in solution e.g. some proteins that may still be in solution that then contribute to mouthfeel, head and head retention.  And I think that the finer bubbles and finer bead are related to the experience to be had from the beer... 

So Lemonade and Soda Water - have nil 'body'... and have big bubbles.

2 hours ago, John E Miller said:

You'll go bigger ABV you reckon GB?

Well it's not really just the ABV for me... it's more about the whole beer package that seems to be delivered with higher ABV... so you can achieve higher ABVs with Saisons and Enzymes etc... but that is not what I am in the game for... I am keener on what happens with ABV when you brew a big beer... so the beer is full bodied... and then the ABV just goes along for the ride... so therefore as I probably am wanton to applying a fair bit of Malt in the mash... and the added expense of a cuppla extra kilos is not prohibitive from 25kg bags... so I just throw a bit more in.  But that does result in beer that you don't want to be driving home after a few and a designated driver or a kind lift is required.  

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MitchBastard said:

Thought I’d treat myself this afternoon. 

37ADAE10-8826-4DF9-A4B6-3ADE17F82090.jpeg

That's one hell of a head, I have always enjoyed Belgium Beers, such a variety available. I am moving into clones lately albeit extract/partial/hop additive etc, but I suppose eventually I will take the big step into AG. I need to asses the equipment I would need & also what I have on hand to continue the journey.

Enjoy.

• Like 3

It certainly had decent foam retention @CLASSIC

thats The beauty of bottle conditioned beers in champagne bottles.  Super fine bubbles and pushing the limits of carbonation. Probably close to 3.5 vols of C02.

you can get away with AG reasonably cheap..... $120 40L urn off eBay and a grain bag and you’re away. You don’t need a re circ system or pump to make AG

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

You don’t need a re circ system or pump to make AG

Agree Mitchie... and would be keen to hear if anyone really thinks that the re-circ pumping is that fkkkkn great... I haven't done any real controlled comparisons but am not convinced at this stage after having done quite a few All Grainers with both circ and non-circ... I am sorta thinking that the pumping makes far call difference... but there may be situations with different grist-water ratios and possibly even grain bills... where it could be useful...  I just dunno and would be happy to hear from anyone who might know?

And @CLASSIC also maybe consider CPB Cheeky Peak Wodonga Nano system - and get a decent sized SS Vessel with heating element and inkbird temp controller and a SS Mesh Basket...  bit easier to get them in and out of the SS Vat - don't need a false floor either - but note that it can be still quite heavy lifting a hot mash grain basket out - some of our guys/and me (some of the time) use a simple pulley system - but you need to be able to hook that up into the ceiling/roof.

Freight is a killer for all internet buying of bigger/heavier goods - but you might be able to get a LHBS to bring the gear in - charge same as CPB with them acting as a wholesaler - and you avoid the freight... I did that earlier on mate... 

@MitchBastard Suspect Mitchie is right tho that cost wise Crown Urn Concealed Element and Bag will be less costly.  And you could always run a Tea Party w the fkkker if you get bored with brewing 😆 (sorry couldn't resist the pisstake on the Crown Urn Brewers but no harm intended 😉)

12 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

you can get away with AG reasonably cheap..... 

Or @CLASSIC go straight to the top and get yourself one of these?  Tri Clover Edition 230L 3V Double Tip NANO Brewery? 

But you might need to build a shed to put it in?  😆

image.png.24131593194eb5aedcbfcc1646e3ed3b.png

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Agree Mitchie... and would be keen to hear if anyone really thinks that the re-circ pumping is that fkkkkn great... I haven't done any real controlled comparisons but am not convinced at this stage after having done quite a few All Grainers with both circ and non-circ... I am sorta thinking that the pumping makes far call difference... but there may be situations with different grist-water ratios and possibly even grain bills... where it could be useful...  I just dunno and would be happy to hear from anyone who might know?

And @CLASSIC also maybe consider CPB Cheeky Peak Wodonga Nano system - and get a decent sized SS Vessel with heating element and inkbird temp controller and a SS Mesh Basket...  bit easier to get them in and out of the SS Vat - don't need a false floor either - but note that it can be still quite heavy lifting a hot mash grain basket out - some of our guys/and me (some of the time) use a simple pulley system - but you need to be able to hook that up into the ceiling/roof.

Freight is a killer for all internet buying of bigger/heavier goods - but you might be able to get a LHBS to bring the gear in - charge same as CPB with them acting as a wholesaler - and you avoid the freight... I did that earlier on mate... 

@MitchBastard Suspect Mitchie is right tho that cost wise Crown Urn Concealed Element and Bag will be less costly.  And you could always run a Tea Party w the fkkker if you get bored with brewing 😆 (sorry couldn't resist the pisstake on the Crown Urn Brewers but no harm intended 😉)

as these guys mention re-circulating or having recirclating pump isnt as important as many people make it out to be

BIAB  brewers do not need to do this  as  the grain bag should hold all grain  and your not using a false bottom like  a Grainfather or brezilla/robobrew  or guten

why many brewers do it that have recirc arms on the all in one vessels   is for clarity and getting all the finer grain out whats in suspension under the false bottom.

This is not say  you wont benifit from this with biab   as you certainly still get benifit from clarity this way  and you definately do not need a pump to do that , pump just makes life easier

all you need to do is draw the wort from your spigot/tap  into a Jug  and then pour it back over the grain  and just simply do this until ya happy

Many think its expensive to get into A.G  but 9/10 most of us already have equipment in the home to already do it

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

Many think its expensive to get into A.G  but 9/10 most of us already have equipment in the home to already do it

Probs easier tho to have a reasonable Urn and Bag -- or -- SS Vessel and Basket -- rather than having to do in already owned Pots and Pans... which works fine for Partials tho yep...

Hoppy Days are quoting a 40L Urn w concealed element at $295 and Beer Co at $369.95 (incl freight)... I reckon if yer can cop the bit extra, that the CPB base set of Stainless Steel Basket, 36L SS Vessel and fittings as well as a Bluetooth Inky... is a pretty good start... esp if you can get your local LHBS to bring it in as agent and knock the freight out... and the SS Vessel will last forever and if the heating element shitttts itself you get a new and better version... and or use Gas to boost... Can you replace element on a Crown Urn? Or the controller on a Grainfarter or Robozilla as easy as getting another inkbird?  I respect that the Guten Bad-un Grainmother and Robozillas do have their place and advantages tho... and probs have better brewhouse efficiency than my bucket brewing system.  Many and varied ways to the top of the Mountain I guess.  [And I don't work for CPB just am throwing up another option to consider] I better stop blithering and get on with organising the second rise of Bread Making 😋

• 1 X 36L NANO Brewery 304SS Tri Clover Triple Base Vessel
  • 1 X 300 Micron 304SS Mesh Basket with 70mm 304SS Drop Down Hooks
  • 1 X 304SS 100mm Thermowell
  • 1 X WiFi Heat & Cool Temperature Controller (Can be used on fermentation fridge)
  • 1 X 304SS QuickSeal 3 Piece Ball Valve Set
  • 2 X 304SS Kettle Plug Set
  • 1 X 2200w 2" Tri-clamp Element Set
Edited by Graubart

1 minute ago, Graubart said:

Probs easier tho to have a reasonable Urn and Bag -- or -- SS Vessel and Basket -- rather than having to do in already owned Pots and Pans... which works fine for Partials tho yep...

Hoppy Days are quoting a 40L Urn w concealed element at $295 and Beer Co at $369.95 (incl freight)... I reckon if yer can cop the bit extra, that the CPB base set of Stainless Steel Basket, 36L SS Vessel and fittings as well as a Bluetooth Inky... is a pretty good start... esp if you can get your local LHBS to bring it in as agent and knock the freight out... and the SS Vessel will last forever and if the heating element shitttts itself you get a new and better version... and or use Gas to boost... Can you replace element on a Crown Urn? Or the controller on a Grainfarter or Robozilla as easy as getting another inkbird?  I respect that the Guten Bad-un Grainmother and Robozillas do have their place and advantages tho... and probs have better brewhouse efficiency than my bucket brewing system.  Many and varied ways to the top of the Mountain I guess.  [And I don't work for CPB just am throwing up another option to consider]

• 1 X 36L NANO Brewery 304SS Tri Clover Triple Base Vessel
  • 1 X 300 Micron 304SS Mesh Basket with 70mm 304SS Drop Down Hooks
  • 1 X 304SS 100mm Thermowell
  • 1 X WiFi Heat & Cool Temperature Controller (Can be used on fermentation fridge)
  • 1 X 304SS QuickSeal 3 Piece Ball Valve Set
  • 2 X 304SS Kettle Plug Set
  • 1 X 2200w 2" Tri-clamp Element Set

dont get me wrong  as i totally agree  with you

however my point is   a 20l pot  you could easily still do  a 15litre A.g    and its not really costing to much to start out to see whether you like doing A.G  biab style.  i would hate to spend a fortune on something i wasnt enjoying  for whatever reason   

at the price your  saying for the nano from hoppy days or  beerco ones you might as well look at the 35l Digiboil thats 160 bucks.

or if ya handy try and score a 50l  keg or even try and score 2    cut out the top  drill a 1/2inch hole for ya spigot   and another for heating element  
a great way to start A.G

more then one way to skin a cat in brewing

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Looks great but probably out of my reach as well as space, however I can go window shopping ! 🤔

That was more of a poor attempt at a joke... reckon window shop on this one mate... noting the above that @ozdevil Ozzy has nicely mentioned for consideration regarding Urn and Brewbag... which might be good to keep costs down on entry.

image.thumb.png.ea5a46e2057f71c37d2e400f9d4626c2.png

16 minutes ago, Graubart said:

That was more of a poor attempt at a joke... reckon window shop on this one mate... noting the above that @ozdevil Ozzy has nicely mentioned for consideration regarding Urn and Brewbag... which might be good to keep costs down on entry.

image.thumb.png.ea5a46e2057f71c37d2e400f9d4626c2.png

That was more of a poor attempt at a joke...  I understand, I will have to browse through the systems, I have 3-4 LHBS all in reach of my address so I can compare. Cheers.

• Like 1

I have some Country Brewer 'WAl'S PALE ALE chilling in the fridge 3 weeks in the bottle, early I know, evidence of good carb, so in the meantime just bought a 4 pack x 500ml from Liquor Land, hard to believe 2 litres of beer for $10.00 ! I was buying 3 x 660ml bottles for $10.00 but the cans beat the value. Rather buy beer in glass but I always pour in a glass anyway.

'Prost'

20210306_142414.jpg

• Like 3