Coopers Community

Todays tastings

supernerdy

11 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Following this one up with a bottle of home brewed Coopers Vintage Ale 2019 and what a difference it is. I may not be the world's best brewer but my product beats the living daylight out of this. A truly awful beer...not my Coopers, the XX. Maybe that's what it is, it is only half a XXXX...then again, that doesn't have to be a bad thing 😂

Following this one up with a bottle of home brewed Coopers Vintage Ale 2019... Aaaaaaaaaaah that sounds better!

Whether 2 or 4 or even 6 Xs (Wadworths) I am not a believer.  I reckon years ago 4 was not too bad... it was 4.8 or 4.9 back then too... and I think they did use some hops and barley.

Now.... well maybe I have learned what is available if you do it yerself and I cannot go back.

5 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Following this one up with a bottle of home brewed Coopers Vintage Ale 2019... Aaaaaaaaaaah that sounds better!

Whether 2 or 4 or even 6 Xs (Wadworths) I am not a believer.  I reckon years ago 4 was not too bad... it was 4.8 or 4.9 back then too... and I think they did use some hops and barley.

Now.... well maybe I have learned what is available if you do it yerself and I cannot go back.

I have made some bad beers in my life, I'm fully aware of that  and I'm not ashamed to say so. But, unless it got infected, I never made a truly awful beer, well IMHO. Even my worst beers were better than this, hands down.

• Haha 1

Culture House - Raspberry Berliner Weisse

IMG_1431.JPG.34bf569a9258bbb2a5bc15479d4f5a59.JPG

Slight pink tinge to the colour.

Immediately on opening the aroma is a touch of banana-ry wheat yeast.  After five minutes, the raspberry starts to shine through as the glass approaches the lips.  The banana is still their but only if you sniff deeply.

Sourness is on the low side.  Noticeable but subtle.  Worth a try, and a good intro to sour beers, but not one for the sour-heads.  I do like what the raspberries bring to this beer.

• Like 2

Went to the new Ballistic location in Springfield yesterday for a few beers.

This was a Chock-Chilli-Stout/ Very smooth, rich, creamy and chocolaty, leaving a nice slight tickle in the back of the throat. very good indeed. Shame they don't have a takeaway licence yet, so I brought my squealers for nothing. 

IMG_6028.thumb.jpg.bcd509630dbbd6640f361575a33a4785.jpg

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Culture House - Raspberry Berliner Weisse

IMG_1431.JPG.34bf569a9258bbb2a5bc15479d4f5a59.JPG

Slight pink tinge to the colour.

Immediately on opening the aroma is a touch of banana-ry wheat yeast.  After five minutes, the raspberry starts to shine through as the glass approaches the lips.  The banana is still their but only if you sniff deeply.

Sourness is on the low side.  Noticeable but subtle.  Worth a try, and a good intro to sour beers, but not one for the sour-heads.  I do like what the raspberries bring to this beer.

I bought a 4 pack of this about 6 weeks ago....still have 3 cans left haha, did not enjoy it at all but this was my first sour, so maybe i'm not
A fan of sours 🤔

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hoppy81 said:

I bought a 4 pack of this about 6 weeks ago....still have 3 cans left haha, did not enjoy it at all but this was my first sour, so maybe i'm not
A fan of sours 🤔

Hey mate, don’t judge sours on one beer. 
Sours are good but few are great. some are gross. 
otherwise you might not like it. 

Should try one that smells like Ass and feet. Hmmm amazing

I considered making a rude joke about that Bruchoc… but thought better of it... as I would like to stay on the forum a little longer😉

Bought a fourpack of these recently as they were the most interesting beer on special at the time and I was not near my fridge... was ok - quite interesting - some talk of oak barrels according to legend know all beer tin salesman.... but wouldn't be rushing to brew an analogue or relative of it....  I believe it has something to do with being 'a sour' ?

image.png.2f778da7d5cc99193bf8e29b74bfcc9f.png

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

I considered making a rude joke about that Bruchoc… but thought better of it... as I would like to stay on the forum a little longer😉

Bought a fourpack of these recently as they were the most interesting beer on special at the time and I was not near my fridge... was ok - quite interesting - some talk of oak barrels according to legend know all beer tin salesman.... but wouldn't be rushing to brew an analogue or relative of it....  I believe it has something to do with being 'a sour' ?

image.png.2f778da7d5cc99193bf8e29b74bfcc9f.png

I found the rodenbach interesting and delicious. Yes it’s true they age in oak. Very large oak barrels. 
I tried Ben 10s version one day and it was bloody delicious, better than the rodenbach. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

Looks good mate, quite a collection, what are your top 5 out of all that ?

Chimay grande reserve , La trappe oak aged quad , Mr Banks Raspberry Parfait , Mr Banks play ground insults , Jaffa milkshake ipa bad shepard  but hey is all personal taste I like hop forward beers  fruity beer and trappiest style mostly

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Went there.... guess where? Tried a 6.6 % Pacific Ale (very nice) the Jasper Ale (also very nice), the Stone Beer (an 8.8% barrel aged porter) which was also nice BUT I'm not a fan of oak. Was very oaked and that came out too much at the end for me.

IMG_20191123_170614.thumb.jpg.7435ca9e04e599e29e7b07ffa8585004.jpg

The went to Soapbox. Impressed. Not sure if you Brisbane people have been there but if not please do. The hairy brewer bloke is very nice and was keen for a chat. 

IMG_20191123_174153.thumb.jpg.0e6066340d8f68dda55068e8ca22edf8.jpg

These two were the Carrot Cake ale and the Biscuit Ale. Both stunning. 
Tried all of the below apart from the Pep Talk. There was also a home brewer brewed beer called Chaimera IPA.

Munchen Fassbier is a Kölsh and was very good. Classic, mallty, noble hop tasting German beer.
Loud Mouth - Lovely hop forward Amber
The Rant - typical nice and fresh IPA
Opinionator - Aussie style pale, very nice, not hop forward, could easily target the Aussie lager drinker
Outburst - Stunning NEIPA, big bold fresh, hop forward, juicy etc
Sweet Talker - Vovo inspired and wow, great beer. Big raspberry and biscuit hit
Carrot Cake Ale - WTF? Tasted of walnuts, cinnamon, wife said mixed spice, maybe some carrot?

Chaimera IPA - Sweet and hoppy. I tasted Amarillo and it was confirmed. The sweet was from toffee malt apparently.

83478863_ScreenShot2019-11-25at5_41_54pm.png.8442ed5764dc689e3d2f95b27bb7c52f.png

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

Munchen Fassbier is a Kölsh and was very good. Classic, mallty, noble hop tasting German beer.

Aaaargh Benny someone has let you out of your cage ?!!  On a rampaging tour of the Deep South ?!  😝  And in the VALLEY?! (Fortitude Valley Bris)….into the night?

Just a small bit of brew-feedback...

Kölsch is not from Muenchen as my Bavarian BF @Aussiekraut will attest...  even it was a very very good Koelsch - they should call it a Koelsch…  from Cologne.

Cos if you are gunna brew a Munich Fassbier it will likely be a Helles as per Paulaner Spaten HackerPschorr…. 

Cologne otherwise known auf Deutsch as Koeln would be the place for a Koelsch… like image.png.cdec90444bcb81611fdb451cf1a69e09.png

Just a quick geographical brewing point for discussion.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

What did you not like about?

I think Benny that the fruity sourness of it - which I am led to believe is the very essence of such a magnificent animal - is just not quite my scene at the moment.

Now not long ago I remember saying I was not that fired up about the IPA or DIPA Hop Bomb.... which seems to be my latest goal... so who knows... maybe one day I shall graduate to the excellence of an oaky sour?

I think right now I am back at the basics still trying to master the AG-Keg thing and getting a reasonable IPA - Black IPA - Golden Ale - Stout - Helles - Pilsener... in the Keg... sorted and with good replicability...

And making some Wurst and after that maybe I shall graduate to the dizzy heights of the splendid Sour?

Enjoy yourself Cob and make sure you leave the Valley before midnight 😜

Just now, Ben 10 said:

AND I spoke to the brewer. He said it was brewed with a Kölsch yeast they had not used so he did not know what to call it so called it  a German Cask beer.

https://wyeastlab.com/yeast-strain/kölsch use an umlaut.

Very good.

But then he should not mention the word Muenchen in it.

Bavaria is a very different beast to those further North - just like you and those 

Just Deutsches Koelle or Deutches Fassbier would be fine... 

Strike the word Muenchen right out

21 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Byron Bay Brewery - Premium Lager

Nice lager aroma.

First taste I did not think it was anything special.  However, it grew on me as I sipped.  Flavour is good.  Stronger than megaswill lager.  Sessionable ABV of 4.2%.  Clear glass bottle is asking for trouble though.

IMG_1432.thumb.JPG.8e03ba5b96490c6e9bc0cf31034f5153.JPG

Actually bought a carton of these for the weekend because the Liquorland at Traralgon didn't have anything else other than bloody Carlton varieties. Hard to get decent beer there. It was ok, but I would have preferred something Euro. 

One of those beers that doesn't seem to taste any different drinking it from a glass or straight from the bottle, and I tried both ways. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

Back home in the far north today bud.
What wurst will you make? Please post in teh BBQ or Salumi threads. I have some magnificent Mettwurst ATM....

Aaaargh good to hear you are back home out of the dangers of the dreaded Valley 😝  Ah that Wurst sounds great.  Is it a cold-smoked one?

Just aiming to do the most basic fermented pork out of those two books you recommended...  and will advise when get organised.

• Like 1