Coopers Community

Todays tastings

supernerdy

I had a few glasses of this on tap at Schnithouse Norwood yesterday. They have a large range of craft beers rotating through their numerous taps.
I don't know if all Schnithouse franchises are set up this way or this one is this way because they changed their operations over the last couple of years. I believe they were a Schnithouse then changed to an Italian cafe/bar (in an area swarming with Italian cafes). This format didn't work so they reverted back to Schnithouse and I think they kept the beer operations from the Italian cafe/bar format.
Anyway this Nomad Piccolo Stout is a delicious coffee stout and rather sessionable at 4% ABV. 

1564009965439nomad_pic-350-937.jpg

• Like 4

Side by side taste test - Coopers Vintage 2018 (RDO tomorrow so can handle a couple of higher ABV brews)

Homebrew version from Oct 2018, versus Commercial version bought about the same time.  Both stored quietly at the top of a cupboard.

IMG_1415.JPG.baeb23dfae345424bee97b694cf0ea79.JPG

Homebrew

Aroma:

• Noticeable alcohol, but not dominant anymore
  • Spicier than the CC
  • Dark stewed fruit, maybe plum
  • Herbal

Taste

• First mouthful is robust alcohol-like then fades on further sips
  • More earthy than the CC
  • Bit of a burnt flavour
  • More bitter than the CC

Coopers Commercial 2018

Aroma

• Woody and moreso than HB
  • Spicy
  • Floral

Taste

• Woody
  • Earthy
  • Smoother
  • Less bitter

Summary

Very similar but still different beers.  Strong Amber Ale in style.  I like them both.  The HB version has improved with time.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Side by side taste test - Coopers Vintage 2018 (RDO tomorrow so can handle a couple of higher ABV brews)

Homebrew version from Oct 2018, versus Commercial version bought about the same time.  Both stored quietly at the top of a cupboard.

IMG_1415.JPG.baeb23dfae345424bee97b694cf0ea79.JPG

On appearance, if I walked into a beer shop and saw these two, I'd go for the one on the left.

Edited by MUZZY

Just now, The Captain!! said:

Deschutes hazy ipa. It’s probably better than the Stone but still doesn’t live up to the hype

503B07D5-A19E-40E6-A14D-012B46FE4F4B.jpeg

Hey Captain, I grabbed a few of these Hazy IPAs today. Brewed with Kveik yeast and packaged 30/10/19. If you can get it where you live its worth a try, its real good. 

20191101_192242.jpg

• Like 1