Coopers Community

Todays tastings

supernerdy

22 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Turn 39 years young today. Back in the motherland for it. Flew in Friday for a couple of weeks of R and R

had some creamy Guinness the last few nights. But also stocked up at the local bottle shop. The craft beer scene ain’t too bad here.  I would also recommend this Murphy’s stout. Bit sweeter than Guinness but a lovely drop

33842195-7CCC-43CA-97D3-E72AA5755A1A.jpeg

Happy B'day Paddy

I was over there a few months ago and found Beamish Stout to be rather nice. Sunk a fair few pints of the stuff 🙂 

My fave was Smithwicks though. The real McCoy (or would that be O'Coy?), not that Kilkenny stuff they're selling to us because they want to keep the good beer to themselves 🙂 

• Like 2

I had a Fantôme Pissenlit on the weekend. Saison with a dandelion tea?

Dany and some cohorts get busy every spring picking bushels of dandelions that grow in the fields around the picturesque farmhouse brewery. The yellow flowers are removed and dried in the sun, then soaked in water for a few days. The thick, dark dandelion “tea” that results is the basis for the Pissenlit, which is made also from traditional barley malt and hops. It resembles a classic saison beer – golden spritzy brew, strong and very flavorful, with a good hop bite. 

It was really good, a darker saison than what you'd normally expect with a richer flavour.

Cheers, 

John 

• Like 1

Something a bit different for me.

Bee Mead.  Found it online, then saw that BWS has it.  Listened to a few podcasts about mead making.  Thought I would try one.

Nice earthy aroma.  Similar taste.  Somewhat drying in the mouth.  Can pick up residual sweetness and a honey note in the after-taste.  Pretty tame.  Not sure I would rush out and buy a slab though.  More like a very easy drinking sparkling sweet white wine.

IMG_1396.JPG.ef9e346797b74a8019dc55fcafa5c0a1.JPG

• Like 1

On 9/12/2019 at 7:05 AM, porschemad911 said:

I was pretty skeptical of this beer at first glance, but it was actually really, really good...The blood orange and cherry flavour was noticeable but well-balanced, the whisky barrel notes were gorgeous and there was a lovely underlying feathery malt character. It came together very nicely. 

I can understand why you liked this beer so much John.

You didn't have to pour two separate glasses this time. 😜

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Haha 2

On 10/9/2019 at 5:38 AM, porschemad911 said:

I had a Fantôme Pissenlit on the weekend. Saison with a dandelion tea?

It was really good, a darker saison than what you'd normally expect with a richer flavour.

Cheers, 

John 

I love this Saison. The best I’ve tried to be honest. Just due to how complex it is. 

• Like 2

Alehouse Project & Mornington Brewery - The Continuous Daryl.

A 60 minute continuously hopped Imperial IPA.

Wonderful concentrated passiona aroma you could smell the second the can was popped.

Full blooded, but zingy, IIPA bitterness.  Not as blunt force as some IIPA's.  This is a sipping beer.

IMG_1397.JPG.57733f5c8cc2c2ff908ae54eea35ca6c.JPG

IMG_1398.JPG.00f9976f2c8530a88b0d1b9e66f28b6d.JPG

• Like 4

Just now, The Captain!! said:

Been wanting to get s hold of cashmere for a while now. 

Cashmere and strata pale sounds delicious 

If I could get close to replicating this Pale I'd be happy. Grabbed a mixed 4 pack, had a quick pint and the cost was close to a 20l AG batch. I better build my homebrew stocks before summer! 

• Haha 2

Pikes Beer Co SA - Passionfruit Belgian Witbier - My reward after putting down the Coopers Vintage 2019 ROTM.

The bottle says: A Belgian Wit with a passionfruit twist inspired by the Hurricane cocktail.  Additions of orange & lemon zest, vanilla beans, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon & Passionfruit.

Obvious passionfruit in the aroma but more subtle on tasting.  The other additions mix nicely in the glass.  Nothing dominates, but the passionfruit is there.  Should have used a wheat glass.

IMG_1402.JPG.04c87141324910955769fb8ef43e8e2e.JPG

Edited by Shamus O'Sean
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Arrrr. Fruity, hoppy with a nice body and head to it but a tad too bitter for my liking. The main reason why I'm not a big fan of IPAs is that some breweries go a little overboard with the bitterness IMHO. But that's just me.

If it doesn't have a noticeable bitterness, it's not a true IPA (IMHO). It's the signature of the style. Without it, all you have is a higher ABV Pale Ale.

I had the Pirate Life Mosaic IPA on tap recently while at a cousins birthday party. Then I had another, & another.....Yum!

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

If it doesn't have a noticeable bitterness, it's not a true IPA (IMHO). It's the signature of the style. Without it, all you have is a higher ABV Pale Ale.

I had the Pirate Life Mosaic IPA on tap recently while at a cousins birthday party. Then I had another, & another.....Yum!

Cheers,

Lusty.

Noticeable isn't the problem. I just think it is often too much. If I still taste bitter after 15 minutes, it's too much IMHO. English IPAs seem to be a little easier on the bitterness. But we all like different styles of beer and have different tastes. That's the beauty of it 🙂 It's still a nice beer.

This caught my eye at BWS last night. Don’t usually shop there but had no choice. Can recommend this 150% and will probably go back for a six pack this weekend. Slipstream tropical pale ale. Brewed in QLD too. Forgot to check when it was canned but it was fresh as they come. 
could do with a bit more bitterness but hella yum none the less 

63C53492-26F2-4D14-872F-61BE6AFAECBE.jpeg

Edited by MitchBastard
  • Like 3

Side by side taste test:  I have wanted to do this for a while now.

IMG_1405.JPG.98828c618a2156728f0190884c747806.JPG

Session Ale

• Pineapple aroma
  • Paler colour
  • Good balance of flavour
  • Lingering bitterness
  • Pleasant dankness
  • Smoother flavour

XPA

• Citrus aroma
  • Darker colour
  • Lively flavour
  • Less intense bitterness

Both great beers (but we know that).  I cannot split them.  I love them both.  I do not know why, but the only difference is I am drinking the XPA quicker (or there was less in the can).  Do yourself a favour.

• Like 5

Went to pick up a Pirate life six pack from my local cellar. Surprised that they are now stocked in fours. Not surprised however that the price

per unit has gone up from $5 to $5.50

a sixer was $30 , four pack is 22

i always backed them when they were perceived to have sold out but I won’t be supporting them anymore 

7 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Went to pick up a Pirate life six pack from my local cellar. Surprised that they are now stocked in fours. Not surprised however that the price

per unit has gone up from $5 to $5.50

a sixer was $30 , four pack is 22

i always backed them when they were perceived to have sold out but I won’t be supporting them anymore 

I haven't noticed a change in price but if thats the case it is really disappointing considering it is now a large internationally backed brewery. Another reason to brew your own! 

• Like 2

So today I went to Wild Hop brewery. 

Had every ale they had. Standout was the Saison...... surprise, surprise. 

Very vast selection of beers. Had a Russian imperial stout, a raspberry porter, simple pale ale and a hazy. Not one beer disappointed. 

Well done Wild Hop brewery. 

• Like 5