Coopers Community

Todays tastings

supernerdy

2 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Actually bought a carton of these for the weekend because the Liquorland at Traralgon didn't have anything else other than bloody Carlton varieties. Hard to get decent beer there. It was ok, but I would have preferred something Euro. 

One of those beers that doesn't seem to taste any different drinking it from a glass or straight from the bottle, and I tried both ways. 

Mmmm…. what about snorting it? 👺

Might be able to detect a faint glimmer of hoppiness that way ?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Lagers aren't meant to be overly hoppy anyway but some flavour like you get in a good pilsner or German lager would be nice.

I think Kelsey that we are so committed to brewing Real Beer and developing something we can taste and enjoy, that the rest of the commercial beer world fades into insignificance.

Doesna matter what the style is...  I reckon a micro-nano Brewer with access to good quality ingredients, should be able to do it better.   I think the Deutschies do it better cos of history and their internal regulation forcing them too... but even so - I reckon someone doing a 23L brew should with good ingredients, process and control, be able to do it as well as or better than a 23 ML brew.

Paulaner - Hacker Pschorr - Spaten - Augustiner all make good beer - but I reckon that All-Grain with the right water-temp protocol-hygiene-yeast-fresh malt and hops...  is hard to beat cos somehow it has a freshness and body to it that event the best big brewers don't have in their final - albeit very good - product. 

And yes - Lagers are not so hoppy - but I think they are meant to have SOME flavour and hop aroma ; )

I don't think the Reinheitsgetbot is actually law over there anymore but plenty of breweries pride themselves on still following it. I pretty much do at home other than the clarification agents and the CO2 from a cylinder. All barley malt, hops, yeast and water is all I use. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Aaaargh Benny someone has let you out of your cage ?!!  On a rampaging tour of the Deep South ?!  😝  And in the VALLEY?! (Fortitude Valley Bris)….into the night?

Just a small bit of brew-feedback...

Kölsch is not from Muenchen as my Bavarian BF @Aussiekraut will attest...  even it was a very very good Koelsch - they should call it a Koelsch…  from Cologne.

Cos if you are gunna brew a Munich Fassbier it will likely be a Helles as per Paulaner Spaten HackerPschorr…. 

Cologne otherwise known auf Deutsch as Koeln would be the place for a Koelsch… like image.png.cdec90444bcb81611fdb451cf1a69e09.png

Just a quick geographical brewing point for discussion.

Yep, Kölsch literally means "from Cologne" in the local dialect. There is the big rivalry going on with Düsseldorf, where they drink Alt. They say when the spillage from the pubs in Cologne flows down the Rhine, they call it Alt by the time it reaches Düsseldorf. But both places are a fair bit from Munich. 

Fassbier (barrel beer or keg beer) is a draught beer, likely a Helles as you said.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I don't think the Reinheitsgetbot is actually law over there anymore but plenty of breweries pride themselves on still following it. I pretty much do at home other than the clarification agents and the CO2 from a cylinder. All barley malt, hops, yeast and water is all I use. 

Well, it is all about the EU. They said Germany can't force other breweries to brew in a certain way but if it isn't brewed following the Reinheitsgebot, it has to be marked and German breweries all brew according to the law, at least for the German market.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Yep, Kölsch literally means "from Cologne" in the local dialect. There is the big rivalry going on with Düsseldorf, where they drink Alt. They say when the spillage from the pubs in Cologne flows down the Rhine, they call it Alt by the time it reaches Düsseldorf. But both places are a fair bit from Munich. 

Fassbier (barrel beer or keg beer) is a draught beer, likely a Helles as you said.

Mate @Aussiekraut do you know whether the Reinheitsgebot is still in place?

@Otto Von Blotto Kelsey alludes to the possibility is it no longer - and I know that the EEC or EU now certainly were problematic on this...

The Frogs were happy to say you couldn't call Bubbly White Chardonnay Pinot Noir Meunier Champagne if it weren't produced in the district - but expected Germany to allow imported cheap shittt French beer and call it Bier... same was with blllllardy Fosters... 

So who knows whether thanks to the EU the Reinheitsgebot is gone...

I have not done any research.  My gut feel is that it will be there and Und Wie…  certainly for beer produced and consumed in Germany.

Maybe if it is beer produced and consumed elsewhere they will jump on the Megaswill bandwagon and pump out whatever they like.

I just cannot see our old mates Paulaner and Hacker Pschorr and Franziskaner producing non-Reinheitsgebot beer for sale in Germany.... even the Northerners surely like Einbeck and Einbecker Ur Bock would be making real beer still surely?

…. hmm not so sure about Flensburg... that might be expecting too much hey ?  😝

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Well, it is all about the EU. They said Germany can't force other breweries to brew in a certain way but if it isn't brewed following the Reinheitsgebot, it has to be marked and German breweries all brew according to the law, at least for the German market.

Think our postings crossed mid flight... there you go...

The German market still holds strong... but outside...  whatever

19 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

Went there.... guess where? Tried a 6.6 % Pacific Ale (very nice) the Jasper Ale (also very nice), the Stone Beer (an 8.8% barrel aged porter) which was also nice BUT I'm not a fan of oak. Was very oaked and that came out too much at the end for me.

IMG_20191123_170614.thumb.jpg.7435ca9e04e599e29e7b07ffa8585004.jpg

The went to Soapbox. Impressed. Not sure if you Brisbane people have been there but if not please do. The hairy brewer bloke is very nice and was keen for a chat. 

IMG_20191123_174153.thumb.jpg.0e6066340d8f68dda55068e8ca22edf8.jpg

These two were the Carrot Cake ale and the Biscuit Ale. Both stunning. 
Tried all of the below apart from the Pep Talk. There was also a home brewer brewed beer called Chaimera IPA.

Munchen Fassbier is a Kölsh and was very good. Classic, mallty, noble hop tasting German beer.
Loud Mouth - Lovely hop forward Amber
The Rant - typical nice and fresh IPA
Opinionator - Aussie style pale, very nice, not hop forward, could easily target the Aussie lager drinker
Outburst - Stunning NEIPA, big bold fresh, hop forward, juicy etc
Sweet Talker - Vovo inspired and wow, great beer. Big raspberry and biscuit hit
Carrot Cake Ale - WTF? Tasted of walnuts, cinnamon, wife said mixed spice, maybe some carrot?

Chaimera IPA - Sweet and hoppy. I tasted Amarillo and it was confirmed. The sweet was from toffee malt apparently.

83478863_ScreenShot2019-11-25at5_41_54pm.png.8442ed5764dc689e3d2f95b27bb7c52f.png

You definitely did a nice walk of the Valley! Stone and Wood Brissy location is nice. Only had a couple of Pacific Ales the afternoon I dropped in. Soapbox beer is pretty good. The hairy brewing guy is always up for a chat, especially if you turn up on a brew day.  I only had a couple as well as I only made it there at lunchtime one day when they were open, and where I was working was 0 alcohol level at all times. Long lunches that day. You would have probably walked past the Elephant on the way. One of the best craft beer takeaways in the Valley.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2019 at 3:46 AM, Otto Von Blotto said:

Must have gotten mixed up somewhere, just had another look and it is still in effect, just modified from the original version. 

There is a lot of tradition there and it is upheld by law... and loyal brewery customers.  What were the modifications Kelsey?

21 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

There is a lot of tradition there and it is upheld by law... and loyal brewery customers.  What were the modifications Kelsey?

Well, yeast wasn't in the original because they didn't know it existed in 1516. There are different versions for top and bottom fermented beer. The latter is restricted to malted barley, hops, water and yeast, but ales are permitted more things like sugar. PVPP is also permitted.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Well, yeast wasn't in the original because they didn't know it existed in 1516. There are different versions for top and bottom fermented beer. The latter is restricted to malted barley, hops, water and yeast, but ales are permitted more things like sugar. PVPP is also permitted.  

Yeast was not in the original.... and is now - gold.  Yep that is pretty cool and shows the long history.  Good stuff.

There is an interesting old saying for beer in Germany - Hopfen Malz und Gott erhalt's…. Hops and Malt and may God protect ; )

And PVPP is permitted I think as you noted it is not IN the beer when it is "a product" as it is dropped out prior?

37 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I have got one of these in the fridge to try.  I quite liked their IPA, which I see you tried a bit later on.

Might open the Pale next.

I gave the Zytho Pale Ale a try.  It was a nice beer.  I described their IPA as more of an XPA.  I would also describe the Pale Ale as more of an XPA.  It would be interesting to try these two beers side-by-side.  Both of these beers are worth trying.

11 hours ago, Hairy said:

The IPA is nicer (or more nice).

C1757894-12E1-4C48-A95B-C43616778EBA.thumb.jpeg.03efba1ad2e5c578289dcb473a829f07.jpeg

I tried the IPA this past week too Hairy. Nice flavour & aroma, but lacked any real bitterness that has me scoring it down for an IPA. As a comparison, Pirate Life's Pale Ale has a far more noticeable bitterness than this at the same ABV, & if I was blind tasting the two side by side, I know which one I'd be thinking was the Pale Ale & which one I was thinking was the IPA, & it wouldn't match the labels on the cans they came out of.

As a stand alone beer, the Zytho Brewing IPA is still a nice beer to drink.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beerlust said:

I tried the IPA this past week too Hairy. Nice flavour & aroma, but lacked any real bitterness that has me scoring it down for an IPA. As a comparison, Pirate Life's Pale Ale has a far more noticeable bitterness than this at the same ABV, & if I was blind tasting the two side by side, I know which one I'd be thinking was the Pale Ale & which one I was thinking was the IPA, & it wouldn't match the labels on the cans they came out of.

As a stand alone beer, the Zytho Brewing IPA is still a nice beer to drink.

Cheers,

Lusty.

There are so many beers out there claiming to be certain styles that don't meet the criteria. I don't worry about the labels anymore.

Although refreshing and a nice summer beer, I found the pale ale a little thin and preferred the body of the IPA. Both are very easy to drink.

1 minute ago, Hairy said:

There are so many beers out there claiming to be certain styles that don't meet the criteria. I don't worry about the labels anymore.

Yeah the lines are definitely blurred across the categories from the commercial breweries these days.

1 minute ago, Hairy said:

...Although refreshing and a nice summer beer, I found the pale ale a little thin and preferred the body of the IPA. Both are very easy to drink.

Been drinking a few heavy's lately Hairy?

When I first had the Zesty Pale it was a really hot day here, & you don't feel like a lot of body in the beer on those days, so drank really well.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

i actually ran into this issue a few years ago at a local Micro brewery that was 6 months into their life (still going now)

Had one of their pales and thought it was more of a IPA...tried their IPA and it was way more of a pale. I even went and asked if they had their taps around the wrong way (admittedly i was fair pissed at this stage) but they just gave me a weird look 🤔🤨😁