Coopers Community

Todays tastings

supernerdy

18 minutes ago, Hilltop hops said:

After working back and then being stuck in traffic for 1.5 hrs to drive 15kms I thought I'd crack one of these. 

Cracked on the way home sitting in traffic congestion? Stuff that.

Lane splitting saves heaps of time & is a whole lot more fun.

1 hour ago, der kleine Drache said:

The beers from Innis & Gunn that I've tried so far I like.  My colleague who used to work with beer says they're bad cos they use extracts. I do'nt care, if it's at all true... yummy stuff. 

That was the first of theirs I’ve had as I just saw it at the bottle shop the other day. Very nice, however they make it!

I thought it might have had more woodiness, but it was really well balanced.

• Like 1

Grabbed a four pack of these because I am looking to brew a Helles style at some time and noticed that the BJCP lists Lowenbrau Original as a commercial example of the style.

Really nice floral spicy aroma.  Smooth, almost creamy mouthfeel.  I would be thrilled to make a beer like this.

IMG_1388.JPG.d061e49b76c5010f52d702821a7e4e11.JPG

• Like 3

Got a six pack of these to try.  Coopers XPA.

Mild hoppy aroma.  Pleasant hoppy and bittered flavour.

IMG_1389.JPG.6e454ef8986c5758ddf5b4d7399a0941.JPG

I actually went through the check-out at Dans with A sixer of these, a sixer of Session Ale, a slab of Pale Ale (for the yeast of course) and a slab of Coopers 2019 Vintage Ale (for experimental/comparison purposes when I brew the 2019 Vintage ROTM).  The check-out person said she was noticing a theme.

This was the most commercial beer I had bought in months.

Edited by Shamus O'Sean
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just cracked a Bridge Road Chevalier Saison while prepping some bottles for the APA to go in tomorrow.

Nice beer but tame for a saison, was expecting a bit more funk and a little more dryness but nothing wrong with it.

The first saison I had was a special at Green Beacon one day and really liked it. The next was the extract one I brewed last year.

I’d buy it again 😊

93837026-79EA-4BDC-BEAD-4DD006A7613F.jpeg

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Got a six pack of these to try.  Coopers XPA.

Mild hoppy aroma.  Pleasant hoppy and bittered flavour.

IMG_1389.JPG.6e454ef8986c5758ddf5b4d7399a0941.JPG

Had to go to Uncle Dan's for some malt. Picked up 6 of these with a members special of $13.

Top work, Coopers. This is a well hopped, but balanced and restrained beer, ideal for summer. I didn't think Coopers were the sort of brewer to join the craft beer hop-explosion madness, and they haven't disappointed. I'd probably have a crack at their home brew version of this.

• Like 2

On 9/28/2019 at 8:17 PM, NewBrews said:

Just cracked a Bridge Road Chevalier Saison while prepping some bottles for the APA to go in tomorrow.

Nice beer but tame for a saison, was expecting a bit more funk and a little more dryness but nothing wrong with it.

The first saison I had was a special at Green Beacon one day and really liked it. The next was the extract one I brewed last year.

I’d buy it again 😊

93837026-79EA-4BDC-BEAD-4DD006A7613F.jpeg

I tried the Bridge Road NEIPA on tap at Schnithouse Norwood yesterday. A nice beer but a bit too hoppy for my tastes.
The $12.90 chicken schnitzel was bloody good though.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MUZZY said:

I tried the Bridge Road NEIPA on tap at Schnithouse Norwood yesterday. A nice beer but a bit too hoppy for my tastes.
The $12.90 chicken schnitzel was bloody good though.

Nothing like a damn good shnitty and with that price you can’t go too wrong!

I haven’t tried to many of the Bridge Road beers, but Saisons are a bit rare so I figured I’d give it a go.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2019 at 5:03 PM, Lab Rat said:

Had to go to Uncle Dan's for some malt. Picked up 6 of these with a members special of $13.

Top work, Coopers. This is a well hopped, but balanced and restrained beer, ideal for summer. I didn't think Coopers were the sort of brewer to join the craft beer hop-explosion madness, and they haven't disappointed. I'd probably have a crack at their home brew version of this.

It's not too bad hey? The hopping is pretty subtle but comes together nicely with the delicious Coopers malt and yeast.

I had a couple yesterday evening to sustain me over the course of a million bits of housework and putting together a pantry cupboard flat pack ($50 on clearance from Aldi). The pantry definitely looks like it was put together by a computer programmer rather than any sort of handyman but that's not the beer's fault, and it will do the job nicely.

However nice the XPA is, the Sparkling is a bit better I think. 

Cheers, 

John 

Edited by porschemad911
  • Like 2

On 9/30/2019 at 1:15 PM, NewBrews said:

I haven’t tried to many of the Bridge Road beers, but Saisons are a bit rare so I figured I’d give it a go.

Im part of their "Posse beer club" So have been getting a regular supply of their beers this year.

Their Saison is a great beer, but ive found that buying it locally can be an issue. The Dans near me all stock it, however they have normally been sitting there for a while. Can change the flavour.

If your ever in the Beechworth area, 100% worth a stop in on them. Try to do the tour as well!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RepSpec said:

If your ever in the Beechworth area, 100% worth a stop in on them. Try to do the tour as well!

After next year, holiday plans are likely to be much more Australian travel and brewery stops/tours. So if they’re still around it’ll be on the list.

I do wonder how long some of the Dan’s stuff (especially the smaller or less popular lines) sits in the warehouse for...

I’m a fan of any PL can. This is no exception. Yumbo. They conveniently don’t name the hops they use on the can anymore... anyone know or guess what it’s got in it?

Im guessing Columbus and cascade with a centennial dry hop? Got some resin and spice  up front with some fruity ness as it goes down.

8EE0C635-97FB-4D53-BE78-4C2DCD9BEA65.jpeg

• Like 2

Moon Dog Brewery - Barrel-Normal Activity (Ghost Barrel Porter)

This is an interesting one.  Poured with less darkness than most porters I have had.

First aroma was a slight pineapple hoppiness.  Again, a first for me in a porter.  Drifted to a smokey background aroma.

A hint that hoppiness in the drinking.  Definite smokey maltiness, more like we expect in a porter.  

Really like this.  Somewhere between a Black IPA and a Porter, but leaning toward the porter end of the spectrum.

IMG_1392.JPG.61f882861d4d7501cde6bf8bec6cc7f7.JPG

IMG_1393.JPG.9c17f63830767e7bc1f92a06eb3be9e4.JPG

• Like 6

Turn 39 years young today. Back in the motherland for it. Flew in Friday for a couple of weeks of R and R

had some creamy Guinness the last few nights. But also stocked up at the local bottle shop. The craft beer scene ain’t too bad here.  I would also recommend this Murphy’s stout. Bit sweeter than Guinness but a lovely drop

33842195-7CCC-43CA-97D3-E72AA5755A1A.jpeg

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Moon Dog Brewery - Barrel-Normal Activity (Ghost Barrel Porter)

This is an interesting one.  Poured with less darkness than most porters I have had.

First aroma was a slight pineapple hoppiness.  Again, a first for me in a porter.  Drifted to a smokey background aroma.

A hint that hoppiness in the drinking.  Definite smokey maltiness, more like we expect in a porter.  

Really like this.  Somewhere between a Black IPA and a Porter, but leaning toward the porter end of the spectrum.

IMG_1392.JPG.61f882861d4d7501cde6bf8bec6cc7f7.JPG

IMG_1393.JPG.9c17f63830767e7bc1f92a06eb3be9e4.JPG

That actually sounds pretty bloody nice Shamus.....Where did you get it from?

18 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

I would also recommend this Murphys stout.

I absolutely fell in love with Murphy’s when I was over there near 20 years ago. Never seen it here. But am planning on heading over that way late next year so I’ll be looking for it again.

And Happy Birthday (belated) Paddy!

• Like 1