Coopers Community

Todays tastings

supernerdy

33 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Colab Blasta Brewing and Rocky Ridge Saison

So so disappointing. 
There wasn’t one part of this beer that was enjoyable 

D088953D-D343-47E9-B21A-D50865E21FC0.jpeg

Maybe they should put a bit more money into recipe design, & a bit less into can design patterns. 😜

Side by Side taste test - Coopers 2019 Vintage Ale

IMG_1424.JPG.fe3b2e974cb48d37d5964a267d333cd5.JPG

One guess as to which is the homebrew version.

Coopers Commercial (CC) 2019 Vintage

• Noticeable alcohol smell
  • Some Cascade hop aroma too
  • Strong Ale taste
  • Good bitterness that lingers

Homebrew (HB) 2019 Vintage

• Under carbonated (only 2 weeks in the bottle)
  • Spicy fruit cake aroma
  • Much more hop aroma than the commercial version, which is obviously older
  • My tasting expectations are high because the hop aroma is more inviting than the CC version
  • Taste is smoother than CC version
  • Residual sweetness, even though it finished at 1.010.  It might be that the priming sugar is not fully consumed and that might explain the under-carbonation level.
  • Similar lingering bitterness to the CC version

Summary

• Prefer the aroma of the HB
  • Prefer the taste of the CC
  • Hope I get some more carbonation going in the other bottles, that will help offset the sweetness
  • HB is not an exact clone, well not mine anyway
  • Like 5

On 11/12/2019 at 7:36 AM, der kleine Drache said:

Bottling my raspberry mead and sipping on one of my favorite Pils, Jever. Dry and bitter. Herbal and earthy. Yum yum. 

WOW DKD - have not seen that bottle for such a long time... JEVER... hopefully it is still the same.... my memory was Dry and Bitter... and went so well with Herringe Hausfrauenart and Spring Baby Potatoes... GOLD!

Was mentioning that to @Otto Von Blotto when I did a SMASH with Galaxy hops AG... and OVB noted the long boil with Galaxy might be toooo bitter... good call..… yes but I had thoughts of JEVER... that supremely bitter brew.... yeeeehaaa… and here it is... thanks @der kleine Drache!!!

Apologies @Aussiekraut that's the Northern Relatives influence... ; )

image.png.cf515cd8b703dcb91672b5d7fb7d5234.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/17/2019 at 5:58 PM, Bearded Burbler said:

WOW DKD - have not seen that bottle for such a long time... JEVER... hopefully it is still the same.... my memory was Dry and Bitter... and went so well with Herringe Hausfrauenart and Spring Baby Potatoes... GOLD!

Was mentioning that to @Otto Von Blotto when I did a SMASH with Galaxy hops AG... and OVB noted the long boil with Galaxy might be toooo bitter... good call..… yes but I had thoughts of JEVER... that supremely bitter brew.... yeeeehaaa… and here it is... thanks @der kleine Drache!!!

Apologies @Aussiekraut that's the Northern Relatives influence... ; )

image.png.cf515cd8b703dcb91672b5d7fb7d5234.png

I used to work with a fair few guys from the north. Ostfriesen you know. They kept harping on about JePi as they called it. Hardly ever delivered any though 🙂 Not bad as far as I remember. Haven't had one in a good 25 years.

• Like 2

@Aussiekraut Sad to hear that did not drop a few brews off... yeah this was my Aunty's 'Haus Bier' in the vicinity of Hamburg - and honestly it was a very refreshing 'herb' Bier and went sooo well with a dish known as Herringe Hausfrauenart… with fresh spring potatoes... a lunchtime serve... how beautiful it was... the salted Herrings in cream with gherkins apple and fresh onion with the fresh Salzkartoffel spring potatoes...  offset by the lovely crisp bitter Jever…. mmmm….. beautiful.   Good beer goes so well with good food!

• Like 2

A DIRE WARNING TO ALL!!! 

If you are traveling Europe and got a hankering for some beer, do not try Lausitzer Porter! It tastes like a bad attempt at recreating Coca Cola. Sweet is the least I can say. Some German breweries want to hop (!) on this brewing trend and have zero clues what they are doing. I have tried quite a few German IPAs that have been far too sweet. Do not buy 12 bottles without trying! 

IMG_20191119_200550.jpg

Edited by der kleine Drache
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2