Coopers Community

Todays tastings

supernerdy

6 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Raglan Road by Luke Kelly is me ditty of choice 

Fair enough - but yer might have to ask Dogger... might prefer the Irish Rover ?!  😝

Check these festive fellas out... great Aussie Bush Music:

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Great tune mate. Big Irish influence mixed with good aussie lyrics 

Yes mate these are really old Aussie bush ballads from the 1800s brought back to life by more recent bush/folk bands ; )

All classic Irish tunes mate....

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Well waddya expect from a fella from Tipperary?!

Tipperary is About thirty minutes where I’m from.

A thirty minute drive back home feels like eternity. You cross about four different borders and encounter a cacophony of different accents.  

over here you’ll just about get to the local IGA for milk  before it shuts 

Edited by PaddyBrew2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bent Spoke Brewing Co - Saisons Greetings - Spiced Saison

Funky yeast aroma is dominant.  I am keen to taste.  I have only had a few Saisons but this smells the nicest.

The flavour is more gentle than the aroma.  Low maltiness.  Very subtle spice flavour.  Good mouth-feel.  Maybe the spice hides the funky flavour a bit.

The jury is undecided.  Great aroma.  But, delicate flavour.  Easy to drink, but not the experience I expects based on the aroma.

IMG_1563.JPG.70e65f0694a296ec0b6d01bbd07b8a4a.JPG

• Like 4

Riders Brew Co (Small brewery that is part of Kellybrook Winery in Wonga Park, Vic) - Loose Trucks - The Porter

Can says "Lots of chocolate with hints of roast" and does not let you down.

This is a porter on the Brown Ale side rather than the Stout side of Porter.  Really noice.

IMG_1565.JPG.0df9fd5f02a456a67f50bc3212e24b8a.JPG

• Like 4

One of my Christmas cans

Bad Shepherd Brewing Co - Red IPA

Aroma more at the piney end of the spectrum rather than the fruity, but there is certainly fruitiness in there.

Good strong maltiness.  It tastes like there are multiple layers of bitterness.  This is a beauty.

IMG_1568.JPG.5c8c886bb38185f735862ba484cd27f7.JPG

• Like 1

Went to a local pub last night and ordered an "Oatmeal APA," which the waitress described as citrusy. The pub brews its own beer.  I was expecting something along the lines of a NEIPA, but it wasn't cloudy or citrusy. I was disappointed and only sipped it, so it ended up getting warm. It wasn't until it warmed up that I noticed it tasted phenolic. Crikey, I think it was contaminated! 

Anyone else ever had contaminated commercial beer?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

I have had a few 'sus' Craft Beers in Pubs & Pizza type Cafe's that make their own - the worst I ever had was a Honey flavoured Ale, it had a burnt sugar taste, was flat & no head & it cost about $8. I have had Matilda Bay Beez Neez - alright for a change but not my favourite ! 

While cleaning up over Xmas I came across a dozen longnecks of Mexican Cerveza that I made about 9 months ago & stashed hoping for the Carbonation to develop - it worked, tastes pretty good.

Worth the wait, Cheers.

CERVEZA.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

A pub near me (well, 80kms away) has there own lager. I think it is brewed by a mob in town that do a lot of the own brand beers.
Shocking. Diacetyl was about all I could tase.

• Sad 1

Well that's no good, there's a lot of bad things about Diacetyl.  Don't heat your Beer up then. 

Quote from the Internet

Are Food Containing Diacetyl Safe to Consume? 

Diacetyl poses a greater risk of toxicity when it is heated. The likelihood of adverse health risks associated with diacetyl – such as popcorn lung — is therefore increased if a product is heated prior to consumption.

Foods and beverages containing diacetyl are not inherently dangerous to consume if they are not heated. It is important to note, however, that heating products containing diacetyl trigger a chemical reaction that releases the dangerous compound into the air as a more dangerous vaporous form. While consuming diacetyl is not a major health risk, inhaling diacetyl vapors is very dangerous. This poses a great threat to users of Juul and other e-cigarettes. Diacetyl vapor inhalation is linked to an array of pulmonary complications, including the popcorn lung.

If you are heating a product that contains diacetyl — such as microwave popcorn, coffee, hot-cocoa – ensure that the product has cooled down before consuming it. Distance yourself from the product while it is heating up, and avoid prolonged exposure to diacetyl vapors.

13 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Plenty. A lot of craft breweries are actually good at making beer but not so good at packaging.

The worst I encountered was a beer with an overwhelming amount of butyric acid. It smelt like vomit and after only drinking a mouthful, I was up a few hours later puking.

• Sad 2

Deeds Brewing  - Quiet Deeds - Daydreaming in Summer, Double Dry Hopped Hazy Pale Ale

The hop aroma is intense.  It is a bit unique.  The can says it is double dry-hopped with Taiheke and Ekuanot Cryo hops.  Nice.

Nice tasty bitterness and gentle malt flavour.  Nice mouthfeel.

IMG_1570.JPG.53fcd9b2700c3441afac6527de3171d5.JPG

• Like 4