Coopers Community

Todays tastings

supernerdy

8 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

Perfection. 

1A7C6EF9-08FA-41CD-9EE5-F1835E2897DA.jpeg

That's raw meat painted on both sides to look like it's cooked. For the most part that's what meat looks like before I cook it. I've tried to understand people that cook & eat meat this way, but can't. Eat steak-ta-ta if you like your meat this way as it will save you time firing up the BBQ & wasting money on gas tanks (IMHO).

If you're simply searing it both sides & then putting it on a plate you're just holding the blood in ya vampire. You're not creating some flavour masterpiece. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

And looks so good.....

....and for a man that posts such wonderful slow cooked meat recipes. 😎 🤔

Australian BBQ'ing doesn't generally subscribe to the Master Chef way of cooking.

And a good thing it doesn't either.👍

Lusty.

Fellas, @Ben 10 is on the money here. It was reverse seared. IMO that’s the only way to do this type of meat. Oven for 20 mins at 150 then 45 seconds each side on a nice hot bbq grill.  Salt and pepper and the meat alone have all the flavour You need. It was so fresh a good vet coulda brought it back to life. 

It’s a darker, richer meat compared to your run of the mill steaks, seeing what it looks like post cook you’d know that this definitely wasn’t raw. It’s probably bordering on medium, the meat just holds its colour a lot more than other meats. Give it a go, you wont be un happy (if you cook it right) 

• Like 4

On 11/20/2019 at 6:12 AM, der kleine Drache said:

A DIRE WARNING TO ALL!!! 

If you are traveling Europe and got a hankering for some beer, do not try Lausitzer Porter! It tastes like a bad attempt at recreating Coca Cola. Sweet is the least I can say. Some German breweries want to hop (!) on this brewing trend and have zero clues what they are doing. I have tried quite a few German IPAs that have been far too sweet. Do not buy 12 bottles without trying! 

I really tried hard DKD to stop myself saying this - but unfortunately - I had a mishap - and it came out on the keyboard... I bet you it is from EAST Germany... and had a quick look...  looks like it to me mate.... I guess they were seriously oppressed by the Soviets for so long and now are on the free-market mate they will try to sell you anything ?  

THANKS for the warning.  

Apologies if you are from the East as there are many good people over there for sure.

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 1

Long time no see! Its been a while and ive been lazy so if you want more info on my beer adventures ask for my onTapped!.

Anyway went to little bang again today. Tried Monkeys Drunkle (I think) dark lager and it was good.  Also picked up their barrel experimental saison Rabit Hole which was made in a gin/sheraz barrel. Interesting beer. I also gt the hibiscus sour and watermelon sour ill write about later.

I also went to PL last week. Tried a few new brews, tropical IIPA, Ice Coffee thickshake IPA and hoort. All were good but no real phones.. except for the one of me looking scientific on the tour. Next tour is of Coopers!

IMG_20191122_172351.jpg

00100sPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191117140532639_COVER.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/20/2019 at 6:59 PM, Beerlust said:

That's raw meat painted on both sides to look like it's cooked. For the most part that's what meat looks like before I cook it. I've tried to understand people that cook & eat meat this way, but can't. Eat steak-ta-ta if you like your meat this way as it will save you time firing up the BBQ & wasting money on gas tanks (IMHO).

Mmmm Lusty - is Steak Tartare  - from the Tartars....  very tasty and goes extremely well with Beer.

image.png.bc2e8c21b1e44635fd1f11ddf193999e.png

Something else I am sure you will like as well is raw pork - Hackepeter - with salt and pepper - fresh white diced onion - gherkin if required - and very fresh crusty white breadrolls...

Very tasty and goes extremely well with Beer.

image.png.774369dcd26b788f73bd47f434005710.png

Onwards and upwards in sharing the Beer - Food - Lexicon hey... 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Mmmm Lusty - is Steak Tartare  - from the Tartars....  very tasty and goes extremely well with Beer.

image.png.bc2e8c21b1e44635fd1f11ddf193999e.png

It went bloody well with beer on my first introduction to the stuff I can tell you! 🤣 It's worthy of telling my story behind my one & only tasting of it that day. If you're not interested in long-winded posts maybe head off & read something else now. If you like a decent story read on...

At the time I was working on the production line at the GMH (Holdens) plant at Elizabeth, SA. Trying to be brief, the production line was divided into sub-section groups. In my sub-section group we had a wide diversity of nationalities. Italians, Greeks, Polish, Poms, Irish, Scots, Aussies, Croatians, Canadians, Americans, Kiwis, Vietnamese to name a few. Our particular group that encompassed 40-50 odd guys over 2 shifts got along incredibly well. We all had a common cause & worked liked mates for each other because of that. Racial differences aside, respect was built among the group from that.

Anyways, every year on break-up day before Holdens shut down for the Christmas period the company graciously only had the workers do a half-day shift but for a full days wage. Basically the day shift would start at their normal start time & work 4 hours & finish, then the afternoon shift would come in 4 hours earlier than normal & also work only 4 hours but for 8 hours pay.

Given the reduced working hours on that day it was common for decent sized groups to form outside the GMH property grounds & have early morning BBQ's & breakfasts etc. before starting work that day that were privately organised within the sub-section work groups. Without disclosing too much, let's just say all of these worker groups were often very merry to begin their work shifts for those end of year break-up days. 😁

So this one year a few weeks out from break-up day a conversation got going about steak ta-ta & eating it on break-up day breakfast morning. There was a Polish guy in our group at the time, terrific bloke & fit as a mallee bull who started the discussion because he ate the stuff regularly & often bragged how it help build his biceps. Many got involved in the discussion (including me) & then one thing led to another & I was challenged to eat this steak ta-ta on breakfast morning on break-up day. It got big enough that bets were placed I wouldn't be able to hold it down on the morning. Given we start brekky at around 4.30 - 5.00am probably a fair bet given it would be the first thing to hit my stomach that day.

Lots of bets.

I had to eat a plate full of this stuff with a raw egg only having homemade Italian Grappa to wash it down with, & hold it down for at least 1 hour after eating it. Given it's raw mince meat with spices & salts, it was a struggle to keep from throwing up with that mix at that time of the morning, but I managed to hold it down.

I took home just under $600 that morning from bets against me, & was surprised that the Polish guy had backed me in as well & took home about $100 he told me later.

Despite the win, not something I'll be doing again anytime soon.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

...but I managed to hold it down. 

PURE GOLD Lusty - well done mate.  Luvyerwork! What a great bit of history!!!  Sensssational.

Sad thing is in my case Lusty - I would have been recommending all me mates to back me.... as I actually do like this stuff...  love this stuff.... 

Dunno what it is - but honestly - as a kid - I could not cop this German white-sauce-ground up spinach thing... a big effort - a delicacy - made me wanna puke...

But the raw meat thing... wow - somehow - for whatever reason -  I get that - it is really really tasty.... 

But am impressed mate with your efforts - and what a Cracking bit of history!

Thanks for that mate... really cool!

BB

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Sad thing is in my case Lusty - I would have been recommending all me mates to back me.... as I actually do like this stuff...  love this stuff.... 

I love mettwurst/salami/chorizo etc. that are still essentially raw but are cured meats. This stuff was raw as it gets though. Maybe it was just in my head what I was eating & couldn't let myself get past that fact while I was eating it. Definitely different than a cured meat though.

When I was a kid, I had a pet sleepy lizard (shingleback). I used to feed it basically the same stuff. 🤣

Thank goodness man made fire in my case. 😉

Lusty.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Very tasty and goes extremely well with Beer.

image.png.774369dcd26b788f73bd47f434005710.png

Onwards and upwards in sharing the Beer - Food - Lexicon hey... 

OMFG Schweine-Mett! This is just divine, although in Aussie climate a little bit of a gamble. I got sick of that stuff big time once, on a stinking hot day and with it sitting on my desk for an hour before I ate it. However I also had a bag of pistachio nuts the same day and blamed the nuts. I'd rather not eat nuts for a year or two than the Mett 🙂 

I personally would ditch the gherkins though. The ideal serving is a well buttered crunchy bread roll, the mince, salt & pepper and a goodly amount of either chopped onions or onion rings. I know a lot of people can't fathom the idea of eating raw mince but this really is amazeballs. 

Edited by Aussiekraut
  • Haha 1

Dos Equis Mexican cerveza. Maybe I am just a little over lager but this has to be pretty much the most tasteless, bland and watery "beer" I've had in a very long time. Not just a waste of money but also electricity for chilling. Dare I say give me a Great Northern instead?

It may be a "Lager Especial" but not in the sense it was intended...

🤮🤮🤮

IMG_6027.thumb.jpg.ff1347b4c659aa70c20ee26547e8db91.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

OMFG Schweine-Mett! This is just divine, although in Aussie climate a little bit of a gamble. I got sick of that stuff big time once, on a stinking hot day and with it sitting on my desk for an hour before I ate it. However I also had a bag of pistachio nuts the same day and blamed the nuts. I'd rather not eat nuts for a year or two than the Mett 🙂 

I personally would ditch the gherkins though. The ideal serving is a well buttered crunchy bread roll, the mince, salt & pepper and a goodly amount of either chopped onions or onion rings. I know a lot of people can't fathom the idea of eating raw mince but this really is amazeballs. 

Re Gherkin:  Yes mate - that is why up above I wrote "gherkin if required"... I think in general I am with you mate - lovely freshly picked white onion finely chopped and salt and pepper... pure Gold.  Gherks not really required... just a possible adjunct to change it up.

And yes - the Schweine-Mett - in Aussie - purchase from good butcher you can trust - fresh - and use same day as purchase - and make sure you bring home in Cooli-Bag with Ice Block and put in 2 deg Fridge until you are ready to serve and EAT... no leaving lying never ever around on a hot desk ; )

And especially not next to those dodgy pistachios that obviously made you crook 🤣

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Dos Equis Mexican cerveza. Maybe I am just a little over lager but this has to be pretty much the most tasteless, bland and watery "beer" I've had in a very long time. Not just a waste of money but also electricity for chilling. Dare I say give me a Great Northern instead?

It may be a "Lager Especial" but not in the sense it was intended...

🤮🤮🤮

Maybe Especially Bad Megaswill?

I cannot even drink the good Megaswill very happily anymore... used to like Boags - Crownies - Stella... now... just watery fluff juice.  

If I need to buy beer off the shelf, I think that Coopers Sparkling and Coopers Stout is about all I can buy that tastes any good.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Beerlust said:

I love mettwurst/salami/chorizo etc. that are still essentially raw but are cured meats. This stuff was raw as it gets though. Maybe it was just in my head what I was eating & couldn't let myself get past that fact while I was eating it. Definitely different than a cured meat though.

When I was a kid, I had a pet sleepy lizard (shingleback). I used to feed it basically the same stuff. 🤣

Thank goodness man made fire in my case. 😉

Lusty.

Good stuff.... 

in earlier years - I would have been with you - but after having lived in Germany for a bit - and had the raw stuff in conjunction with Reinheitsgebot real beer...

and super crusty perfect white breadrolls… wow.  I really like it.  

Great story about your shingleback - that is really cool.  

I think since then I have also really like the raw fish thing which some don't like.... which good quality (like in SA and WA) also goes well with good beer.

Yeah salami etc ain't no raw thing... protein been denatured....  via acid (fermentation) and smoke.

22 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Maybe Especially Bad Megaswill?

I cannot even drink the good Megaswill very happily anymore... used to like Boags - Crownies - Stella... now... just watery fluff juice.  

If I need to buy beer off the shelf, I think that Coopers Sparkling and Coopers Stout is about all I can buy that tastes any good.

Following this one up with a bottle of home brewed Coopers Vintage Ale 2019 and what a difference it is. I may not be the world's best brewer but my product beats the living daylight out of this. A truly awful beer...not my Coopers, the XX. Maybe that's what it is, it is only half a XXXX...then again, that doesn't have to be a bad thing 😂

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

...A truly awful beer... the XX. 

When I was at school teachers would grade my test answers with either a tick for yes (correct) or an "X" for no (wrong).

This beer not only has an X on the label, but it actually has two of them.

I rest my case.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3