Coopers Community

Little Update of my goings on and being quite around the forum

ozdevil

Hey All

Have seriously  been thinking of Giving the brewing away as well as the drinking, but that isn't me i have walked away from brewing once before

However I have had some serious issues going on with my body  which has put brewing and trying to slow my drinking down a tad

I am a skinny bloke at 160kg ringing wet that can stand a pint of beer on belly  standing up  , this has been putting alot of pressure on  my lower half and making it very hard for me to walk and stand .  Yes i am working on getting my weight down   through some weight management

My biggest issue  is my blood Pressure, my doc isn't all that happy there   part from overnight  pressures which was good it the day time pressure he is worried about   1ts like average of 160 over 90    from an over night blood pressure check  and he was saying at times i was increasing to double century  in blood pressure  ..  so   he has upped my blood Pressure tablets but i haven't got much wriggle room  there.   but hopefully  by next visit my pressure comes down and  unfortately  i am of to a cardiologist in couple months time  to see whats going on 

So i have been doing some life changing Habits that can still allow me to have a beer  and brew  but at the moment i am limiting myself to 1 or 2 beers
I have started to excercise  a bit more then just arm ups  yep beer to mouth  i called it

I have been implanting these changes for a good 2 months not that much weight has changed  as i said i was 160kg  wringing wet and now  have lost 7kgs and down to 153kg  but i have a hell of alot more to go  before i will be a happy man again

anyway  i have jumped of the  demon bus and back on the wagon to better healthy way  and the odd beer   

happy brewing All

• Like 14

You've got to look after yourself, mate. Nobody needs a dead Oz.
As a fat b*stard myself and high blood pressure carrier I hope you don't mind me offering some advice/suggestions.
For 23 years I sat on my ar$e driving public transport buses and gained weight accordingly. I went from around 100 to 125kgs in that time with spells of get fit/lose weight but I always put it back on and 120+ kgs was my "normal".
Since Dec last year I got a new job doing deliveries ie. active work. I've dropped 10 kgs without trying and haven't dieted nor stopped beer. My BP is now down to the point where my doc has reduced my BP meds.
Regular exercise at 56 years is a hard thing to get motivated to do but an active job, even though my body aches at times, is much easier to suffer. I'm getting paid to lose weight so to speak.
Without knowing your financial circumstances, I'd suggest a change of jobs. Changing jobs can be a daunting prospect but not as daunting as your loved ones not having you around. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, ozdevil said:

Hey All

Have seriously  been thinking of Giving the brewing away as well as the drinking, but that isn't me i have walked away from brewing once before

However I have had some serious issues going on with my body  which has put brewing and trying to slow my drinking down a tad

I am a skinny bloke at 160kg ringing wet that can stand a pint of beer on belly  standing up  , this has been putting alot of pressure on  my lower half and making it very hard for me to walk and stand .  Yes i am working on getting my weight down   through some weight management

My biggest issue  is my blood Pressure, my doc isn't all that happy there   part from overnight  pressures which was good it the day time pressure he is worried about   1ts like average of 160 over 90    from an over night blood pressure check  and he was saying at times i was increasing to double century  in blood pressure  ..  so   he has upped my blood Pressure tablets but i haven't got much wriggle room  there.   but hopefully  by next visit my pressure comes down and  unfortately  i am of to a cardiologist in couple months time  to see whats going on 

So i have been doing some life changing Habits that can still allow me to have a beer  and brew  but at the moment i am limiting myself to 1 or 2 beers
I have started to excercise  a bit more then just arm ups  yep beer to mouth  i called it

I have been implanting these changes for a good 2 months not that much weight has changed  as i said i was 160kg  wringing wet and now  have lost 7kgs and down to 153kg  but i have a hell of alot more to go  before i will be a happy man again

anyway  i have jumped of the  demon bus and back on the wagon to better healthy way  and the odd beer   

happy brewing All

Sending strength mate

• Like 5

Hey All

happy brewing All

Good on you for having the courage and conviction to try to do something about it.  All the best with achieving your goals.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Malter White said:

As a fat b*stard myself and high blood pressure carrier I hope you don't mind me offering some advice/suggestions.
For 23 years I sat on my ar$e driving public transport buses and gained weight accordingly. I went from around 100 to 125kgs in that time with spells of get fit/lose weight but I always put it back on and 120+ kgs was my "normal".
Since Dec last year I got a new job doing deliveries ie. active work. I've dropped 10 kgs without trying and haven't dieted nor stopped beer. My BP is now down to the point where my doc has reduced my BP meds.
Regular exercise at 56 years is a hard thing to get motivated to do but an active job, even though my body aches at times, is much easier to suffer. I'm getting paid to lose weight so to speak.
Without knowing your financial circumstances, I'd suggest a change of jobs. Changing jobs can be a daunting prospect but not as daunting as your loved ones not having you around. 

Spot on.

I'm trying to lose 5-8kg. So, reducing the beer and dry bickys. More waking too. Have droped 2kg in abt 2 months.

It's the carbs you need to lower. Here is a list. One column is in alpa order the other lowest to highest.

Food Carbs 2.pdf

Edited by Oldbloke
  • Like 6

Oz mate, what can I say. I feel your pain brother. I wish there was an easy solution here but that's not likely. But you have to do what's best for you, whatever that might be. You're already showing the right moves mate through your commitment and conviction to see this through. You've already dropped 7kg - that's just awesome mate! If you need me to do anything for you just holler. You got this!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Malter White said:

Without taking light of OD's situation, you are just a young buck Malter! I must have been kissed by a fairy as I have had virtually nil health issues & take no medication.

I am 6'2" & always been around 100kg or so apart from my bodybuilding/weightlifting days when I was much heavier, but I have over 10 years on you & I agree about exercise, being active helps a lot as I too sat a lot when travelling OZ for a job. A walk on the beach seems to keep me in order & I still have a few weights in the shed.

Diet of course plays an important part in daily health & I believe a background in cooking has steered me into the right direction.

I don't drink as much as I used to, but I have never had any problems with it, so I enjoy it just the same.

2892881-George-Carlin-Quote-Cherish-your-health-If-it-is-good-preserve-it.jpg

• Like 4

Thankyou everyone for the  wise words and encouragement

This is not the end of my brewing  i love the hobby to much just to throw it away 
but more  controllable approach 

I have a long way to go  and taking each day as it comes  

However guys thankyou for the words of encouragement

• Like 7

@ozdevilWishing you all the best mate, plenty of exercise and a diet change will help. I'm by far nowhere near as healthy as i should be and it is very hard to change
How we eat and drink i have found.

I have gone from having a couple of cold ones every day to a couple every second day when i'm not at work at and when i'm at work i don't have any when i get home, Plenty of water (cold) and I also find sparkling water with a bit of lime or lemon in it is a good replacement as you're still getting that icy cold carbonated drink.

If you are ever struggling with it mate, jump on here for a bit of encouragement from others, as you can see, the community here is awesome.

Edited by Hoppy81
  • Like 10

All the best ol mate. Ive never met you but known you for a lot of years. Mainly through fishing forums.

Look after yourself. Its a brave man that can admit that you need life changes. Its scary for me. I love beer. Way too much. It wont be long and I'll have to make changes to my habits. I'll never not drink beer, but there's no doubt I'll have to cut back soon. I drink water and beer. So its going to be hard.

Overlooking the fact I'm a 6"1 , 110 kilo fat c*$t, I'm starting to feel it.

Thanks for sharing ol sausage. Always keep in touch @ozdevil

• Like 7

All the best mate @ozdevil, I am a Mechanical Fitter by trade and 5 yrs ago I had a knee replacement, Surgeon told me I need to take a sideline move or change of career. 
‘It was a surprise how bad my knee was (ex footballer) but I completed my Cert IV and moved into training Mechanical apprentices and tradies up skilling, also giving trades assistants a chance to move into an apprenticeship.

‘Extremely rewarding for myself passing on knowledge to the younger & older generation. 
I have scored a good gig now and love my work & training people to up skill.

All the best mate with your health & issues. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Pale Man said:

I'm a 6"1 , 110 kilo fat c*$t,

Been there, got myself down to 85, now 88 (same height though... hahahahah) - it's do-able.

On 11/2/2022 at 7:33 PM, ozdevil said:

I have started to excercise  a bit more

Bikes are good mate

• Like 6

On 11/17/2022 at 6:04 AM, stquinto said:

Good luck Oz mate ! It ain’t easy, I know. Everyone has different solutions, from dieting to different kinds of exercise: I hope you find the one that works for you 🍀

yes   there is different solutions.

my doc   has put me on an injection  which is once a week (sadly i cant get this medication until March) however i have  been prescribe a replacement drug  but sadly that is injecting twice a day  and is being discontinued  as of December   so will be picking up 3 months worth of this one and by that time  my other medication should be back in stock

what this injection does   is  makes you  feel fuller  and suppresses the appetite   

i  still have the injection of once a week only have 3 doses left   and having this   has made me feel  alot better and is helping my  blood pressure and everything my doc is concerned

so hopefully its smooth sailings from me now

The sad thing is this medication has decreased my  beer intake at the moment.  still a good thing for my health

• Like 5

yes   there is different solutions.

my doc   has put me on an injection  which is once a week (sadly i cant get this medication until March) however i have  been prescribe a replacement drug  but sadly that is injecting twice a day  and is being discontinued  as of December   so will be picking up 3 months worth of this one and by that time  my other medication should be back in stock

what this injection does   is  makes you  feel fuller  and suppresses the appetite   

i  still have the injection of once a week only have 3 doses left   and having this   has made me feel  alot better and is helping my  blood pressure and everything my doc is concerned

so hopefully its smooth sailings from me now

The sad thing is this medication has decreased my  beer intake at the moment.  still a good thing for my health

All the best on your journey OD, but as we have all said your health comes first. Sounds like there are signs of progress. Cheers.

• Like 3

@ozdevil How are  you going?

I read this thread the other week and never got around to replying.

How are you going now?

Have you had a sleep apnea test?

I have high blood pressure and it was pretty much under control.

But I was snoring a lot (allegedly) and I got a test done. I now have a CPAP machine & my blood pressure has come down heaps.

I could do with losing a bit of weight though, which would make it much better.

I turned 60 this year & I really think I need to make an effort to lose 5-10 kilos and keep it off now, or I'll never do it.

There was an article on the radio and something in the paper a couple of weeks ago.

Basically saying what @Oldbloke is saying about the carbs. It's protein your body is after.

• Like 7

Hey there all

All the best @ozdevil

Just wanted to say - all good stuff up above - and yeah am in the same boat

But the big thing is

Just get off the Carbs.... strictly get off the carbs (which for a start means get off the beer as well but it is worth the pain)

And yeah you hafta be reasonable with amounts of non-carb too canna eat a whole chook a day

Highly recommend Michael Mosely stuff... SBS had a good series.

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/tv-series/australias-health-revolution-with-dr-michael-mosley

But yeah

Get rid of

Bread, Pasta, Potatoes, Rice, Cane or other Sugar, muesli, porridge, breadrolls, doughnuts, cake, biscuits, crackers, bananas, mangoes, grapes....

High sugar stuff... and yeah just any grain product and definitely sugar in tea/coffee and softies... and yeah Coke is a killer

Veggies and Protein - and there are plenty good things there - way to go. 

And to start with - if you can do two weeks to begin with no carbs and no beer - that is a great start - and then if you can do 8-12... it will change your life

BP - Blood Sugar - Hypertension... massive change... 

Yeah just a small suggestion...  might seem a bit tough... but will make a huge difference 👍

Just speaking from hard experience 😬

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Graculus said:

@ozdevil How are  you going?

I read this thread the other week and never got around to replying.

How are you going now?

Have you had a sleep apnea test?

I have high blood pressure and it was pretty much under control.

But I was snoring a lot (allegedly) and I got a test done. I now have a CPAP machine & my blood pressure has come down heaps.

I could do with losing a bit of weight though, which would make it much better.

I turned 60 this year & I really think I need to make an effort to lose 5-10 kilos and keep it off now, or I'll never do it.

There was an article on the radio and something in the paper a couple of weeks ago.

Basically saying what @Oldbloke is saying about the carbs. It's protein your body is after.

yeah i am going well  slowly moving the right direction .   have dropped 8kg since starting

Sleep apnea  yeah had a few tests and yes i have sleep apnea  have pretty severe  however it doesnt help my blood pressure
have cpap machine has been a life changer  specially for   profession as a truckie.

i know   i am on a long journey and still have a long way to go  and starting to feel much better with in myself  
i just really have to stick to what i have been doing recent times  

alot of my eating habits are slowly changing  and i just cant everything my good partner dishes me up

i will get there in the end   and thank you all  for taking time out to give me some great tips and thoughts what you guys have done

• Like 10