Coopers Community

What Are You Drinking in 2022?

Pezzza

On 8/11/2022 at 2:46 PM, Itinerant Peasant said:

Faster maturing process in a Keggler do you think @MitchBastard Mitchie?

Yes n no…..would actually be an interesting experiment. I feel like…and this is purely MB anecdotal, that you’ll get different maturing qualities from either method. In the keggler you’ll certainly get beers round out and clean up quicker, much like an accelerated lagering,  but I’d put money on it that you would get more complexity from aging a big beer at room temp in a bottle compared to aging a big beer cold and in a keg. In fact, I rekon in a keg and cold Woukd actually slow down the process you’re chasing in big beers….. 

A while back I made an Irish stout. I kegged half and with the other half I bottled after sitting on oak chips for a week. The kegged stout which was drank reasonably quick was great but the bottled and oaked version was far better with some time on it. I found one that I’d forgotten about months after they’d all been consumed and it was phenomenal. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yep it's a hard life, I am not fussed about footy but I can certainly brew & drink, that's 2, does listening to music count as the 3rd ?

You’ve mentioned before you’d rather  watch your grass grow that could be four??🤣

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am getting rather fond of just walking up to the old fridge/kegerator of sorts, I still have bottled beer, bought craft & general beers but there is nothing better than thinking, I might have one out of the tap, Ha- Ha believe me, you cannot just have one !!

There is another bonus of course, you can pour another different beer out of another tap.

Then the trouble starts !!

🍻 😬

20220815_154730.thumb.jpg.55d181bf35055e07a334a34bd1846fbf.jpg

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

On 8/14/2022 at 5:28 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Berliner Weisse

It has the aroma that most sours seem to have.  Plus a tiny bit of citrus.

Excellent sour flavour.

IMG_3183.JPG.171c14cc3c97d4882de8e4e5ba8d9dee.JPG

Congrats, it's looking good. and for the real traditional experience add some raspberry or woodruff cordial, sit in the sun and enjoy the "Champagne from the North"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Congrats, it's looking good. and for the real traditional experience add some raspberry or woodruff cordial, sit in the sun and enjoy the "Champagne from the North"

I did a Raspberry Philly Sour a little while back.  Raspberry extract was the source of the raspberry flavour.  It was really nice.  However, the higher ABV of that beer and the raspberry flavour subdued the sourness.  It would be interesting to try a little raspberry flavour in the Berliner Weisse.  Actually, I have some Cranberry/Raspberry Sodastream flavouring in the cupboard.  I will have to give it a try.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I did a Raspberry Philly Sour a little while back.  Raspberry extract was the source of the raspberry flavour.  It was really nice.  However, the higher ABV of that beer and the raspberry flavour subdued the sourness.  It would be interesting to try a little raspberry flavour in the Berliner Weisse.  Actually, I have some Cranberry/Raspberry Sodastream flavouring in the cupboard.  I will have to give it a try.

You did right, as a Berliner I have to tell you that it is supposed to be sour, any additions during brewing are crafty hipster w..k . You add some sweetness and flavor afterwards with the cordial. Sorry, I grew up on this stuff and when it comes to food and drinks I like the classics (don't fix it if it's not broken)

Edited by Brauhaus Fritz
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I just opened one of the 3 bottles of Pale Ale left over from the brew that was kegged & bottled on the 30th July, the pour from the keg is great but I need to make a note to myself here, use less sugar when bottling in a Grolsch bottle - as you can see it blew the top off !!

It tastes really nice but the difference between the kegged version is so different & I am definitely leaning to keg as many beers as possible, of course I will always have to bottle a few due to the 19l limit on a Cornie Keg.

20220816_152813.thumb.jpg.965e97a570b8e876026f6327e137a3b6.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 8/14/2022 at 4:52 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Toasted Coconut Porter

This one had 300g of Chocolate Malt steeped over night.  You can really smell and taste the chocolate.  The coconut is coming through too.  Nice and tasty.

IMG_3182.JPG.89583aa8f5724de6145a2a57247f2203.JPG

I always been drawn to the Island toasted Coconut Porter, how is its mouthfeel and flavor? I tried twice a Bad Sheppard Choc Coconut Brown Ale and found it quiet thin and disappointing. The Batch Big Kahuna Coconut Brown Ale is not bad so

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

I always been drawn to the Island toasted Coconut Porter, how is its mouthfeel and flavor? I tried twice a Bad Sheppard Choc Coconut Brown Ale and found it quiet thin and disappointing. The Batch Big Kahuna Coconut Brown Ale is not bad so

Yes, I agree, the Bad Shepherd Coconut brown ale is too thin. I think if it was a porter, it'd be a lot nicer. It's lacking the richness you'd expect from such a beer. I've made the toasted coconut porter many moons ago and found it quite nice.

• Like 2