Coopers Community

What Are You Drinking in 2022?

Pezzza

27 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Man I am going to get myself a Nitro set-up, awesome IP.

Cheers @Classic Brewing Co CBC Head Brewer Phil thanks mate - but I will note that going Nitro is an EXTRA PITA the with extra gas bottle, the extra regulator... you will need to brew a reasonable body in your beer too I suspect to get the creaminess factor working... anyway it sounds like you may already have the special  Stout Tap...

My experience is that the whole Nitro gas-up of the keg process takes a lot longer....  @RDT2 RD probably has got it worked out way better than me - but I find it somewhat of a tricky process.

You can charge a little of CO2 to start with and then follow with Nitro Beergas/Guinness Gas mix after that  -  but if you push too much C02 in before dispensing with Nitro Mix you will end up with a terrible beer icecream... so you hafta b v careful...  OR you can just do the Nitro thing - no CO2 - and - push in as much as you can as fast as you can I guess like all the other kegs... but it does take quite a bit more time/effort.

@Red devil 44 Reddler the Guru of Gas and who trains young fellas in the gas industry told me kindly that the ol Nitro is deemed "a lazy gas" and that means it does not want to go into solution readily - so takes quite a bit longer... compared to CO2

At higher pressure so your fittings need to be good - and I myself would not recommend the grey push on things but everyone needs to find their own way to the top of the Mountain ; )

And meself - after having experienced both Keg-Gas models... if you can only have one source of keg gas - I really believe that having CO2 is way far the better way to go... cos the CO2 I think delivers more focus on flavour and the Nitro is more of a texture experience.

I might be completely wrong and be happy to be standing corrected from all you good brewers and keggers out there : ) 

Edited by Itinerant Peasant
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Nitro is tempting, but as @Itinerant Peasant explains it has some drawbacks. Nitrogen is largely insoluble in beer, it has 1% the solubility of CO2 so in order to get it in the beer it requires much higher gas pressures than CO2 and hence you need a different regulator to handle the higher gas pressures. Due to its low solubility the only way to get a beer gassed up is to use a mixture of CO2 and Nitrogen and because you are using that gas at much higher pressures it is also easy to create an over gassed beer.

No doubt that the Beergas mixture can create a beautiful stout etc, there are also many drawbacks to the process as well.

For myself I would only ever consume 10% of my beers as stouts so using a Beergas mixture would not work for me, YMMV.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

Nitro is tempting, but as @Itinerant Peasant explains it has some drawbacks. Nitrogen is largely insoluble in beer, it has 1% the solubility of CO2 so in order to get it in the beer it requires much higher gas pressures than CO2 and hence you need a different regulator to handle the higher gas pressures. Due to its low solubility the only way to get a beer gassed up is to use a mixture of CO2 and Nitrogen and because you are using that gas at much higher pressures it is also easy to create an over gassed beer.

No doubt that the Beergas mixture can create a beautiful stout etc, there are also many drawbacks to the process as well.

For myself I would only ever consume 10% of my beers as stouts so using a Beergas mixture would not work for me, YMMV.

Good food for thought, thanks K man.

• Like 3

Hi Gents and ladies.  Pints made a Morgan's frontier IPA and Pacific pale ale toucan. 

21 L with 50 grams Galaxy and 50g Eclipse.  I feel like an Aussie now.🍻

Aussie IPA toucan

About as bitter as aloe 🤣🤣🤣

Oh its only 13 days old

IMG_20220819_160000.jpg

IMG-20220819-WA0023.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Haha 3

Just now, iBooz2 said:

@PintsMeLocal , I shake my head (in a good way) and smile at all your brewing improvements.  Ya gotta be happy with yourself and your brews there bloke.  Wish I could share one or two with you.  All looking very good and a big thumbs up from me.  👍 🍺

Ahh Boozer that made me smile mate thank u!!  Likewise wish could share a few with u and some of the other fine blokes here.  Cheers my friend 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 8/19/2022 at 8:42 AM, Classic Brewing Co said:

Shamus I was looking at your beer tap handles, the Berliner in particular, I assume they are Nuka Taps or similar & was interested to see how they attach, it also appears you create your own decals.

Phil, My taps are Intertaps from Keg King.

The decal holder comes apart so you can clamp it around the collet (the ring you tighten to fit the tap).  See photo.

As for the decals they are just printed on plain paper and laminated with a $20 laminator from K-mart and cut out.  They are held in place by a couple of blobs of Blu-Tack. 

image.png.c74178ad1dfd5e4f7f73be631fa91b01.png

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Phil, My taps are Intertaps from Keg King.

The decal holder comes apart so you can clamp it around the collet (the ring you tighten to fit the tap).  See photo.

As for the decals they are just printed on plain paper and laminated with a $20 laminator from K-mart and cut out.  They are held in place by a couple of blobs of Blu-Tack. 

image.png.c74178ad1dfd5e4f7f73be631fa91b01.png

OK Shamus, Cheers for that, it all looks effective though, Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

OK Shamus, Cheers for that, it all looks effective though, Cheers.

Thanks Phil.  I agree, they look the part.  I think they look so good that I even bought my brother-in-law and my neighbour one of the chrome label holders and make labels for their brews too.

They do look pretty cluttered on my four tap font.  But what do you do?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Thanks Phil.  I agree, they look the part.  I think they look so good that I even bought my brother-in-law and my neighbour one of the chrome label holders and make labels for their brews too.

They do look pretty cluttered on my four tap font.  But what do you do?

Yeah I am happy with my Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA handles ATM but every now & again I like change & I am sure I will come across something for a bit of variety. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

COOPERS PALE ALE

This is the last of the bottled AUS PA apart from a 2l Growler I am saving - the rest is in the keg - well not a hell of a lot 😬

It really is a great beer, I am hoping the keg will hold as I will be kegging a Bootmakers & a Brew A IPA at the end of the week.

20220820_153739.thumb.jpg.fc9f10b57fedfe573cda0119c1c11f4c.jpg

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 9
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

COOPERS PALE ALE

This is the last of the bottled AUS PA apart from a 2l Growler I am saving - the rest is in the keg - well not a hell of a lot 😬

It really is a great beer, I am hoping the keg will hold as I will be kegging a Bootmakers & a Brew A IPA at the end of the week.

20220820_153739.thumb.jpg.fc9f10b57fedfe573cda0119c1c11f4c.jpg

Looks great, Classic.  I do not remember the Aus Pale Ale being so pale.  I will have to make a brew based on this can soon.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Looks great, Classic.  I do not remember the Aus Pale Ale being so pale.  I will have to make a brew based on this can soon.

Cheers Shamus I was very happy with this one, a full 14 days in the FV, temp constant, it tastes just as good in the bottle as the keg, although the kegged version is a tad smoother.

• Like 3

The previous Berliner Weisse with Cranberry & Raspberry flavouring was 1 tablespoon of flavouring.  This one is half a table spoon.

It has much more balanced aroma.  Flavour is similarly better balanced.  I think I could even half the flavour again to 1 teaspoon and it would be better again.  Less cloying than the previous version.

The actual colour is less amber than in the photo and more pink blush.

Yum.

IMG_3195.JPG.26025ae6b1d4dd5cbbf87dedfafa84cf.JPG

• Like 8

Coopers APA AG from the keg. The first couple were particularly frothy so I didn’t bother posting photos. Seems to have calmed down a bit. First lot from my 1kg of PoR ordered in Oz, only 960gm to go 😂

Beautiful drop. Really happy with it 👍

CE51486E-F974-4F0D-B0E5-0C8273ED55E2.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

On 8/19/2022 at 9:27 AM, Itinerant Peasant said:

Cheers @Classic Brewing Co CBC Head Brewer Phil thanks mate - but I will note that going Nitro is an EXTRA PITA the with extra gas bottle, the extra regulator... you will need to brew a reasonable body in your beer too I suspect to get the creaminess factor working... anyway it sounds like you may already have the special  Stout Tap...

My experience is that the whole Nitro gas-up of the keg process takes a lot longer....  @RDT2 RD probably has got it worked out way better than me - but I find it somewhat of a tricky process.

You can charge a little of CO2 to start with and then follow with Nitro Beergas/Guinness Gas mix after that  -  but if you push too much C02 in before dispensing with Nitro Mix you will end up with a terrible beer icecream... so you hafta b v careful...  OR you can just do the Nitro thing - no CO2 - and - push in as much as you can as fast as you can I guess like all the other kegs... but it does take quite a bit more time/effort.

@Red devil 44 Reddler the Guru of Gas and who trains young fellas in the gas industry told me kindly that the ol Nitro is deemed "a lazy gas" and that means it does not want to go into solution readily - so takes quite a bit longer... compared to CO2

At higher pressure so your fittings need to be good - and I myself would not recommend the grey push on things but everyone needs to find their own way to the top of the Mountain ; )

And meself - after having experienced both Keg-Gas models... if you can only have one source of keg gas - I really believe that having CO2 is way far the better way to go... cos the CO2 I think delivers more focus on flavour and the Nitro is more of a texture experience.

I might be completely wrong and be happy to be standing corrected from all you good brewers and keggers out there : ) 

Thanks for that IP. I put my first Guinness clone on N2/CO2 blend, having connected it to CO2 for a week beforehand. A bit underwhelming TBH. The taste of the beer is right (with the 2g lactose) but there’s none of the creaminess normally associated with Guinness, and the head is brown, not white. It tastes like a bottled Guinness, quite popular in Nigeria apparently , not bad but not right . 🤔 

765D0E95-BBDD-494B-A040-4137FBD02D42.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Sad 1