Coopers Community

What Are You Drinking in 2022?

Pezzza

4 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Hey there Sainter mate @stquinto

Yeah sorry cobber I don't usually use oats 😬

I don't think I am doing anything special... just routine freshly milled malted barley and some wheat sometimes and then the speciality grains... roasted barley, chocolate malt, Carafa III..... I have sort of steered away from X a bit now somehow am not thinking it is that cool and that I know that @interceptor the Braumeister himself is not that keen on the crystal either...  and maybe yeah just keep the main grains as light coloured as you can as your base malt... 

This one below is an early one which I am happy with... it is not pure white as Swiss Snow...  I guess - bit of an aussie tan in the sunlight... haha but was bllllllaaaardy taschty!

image.thumb.png.662ef342bbb0788cebec90d2719cc623.png

This more recent fella does seem a bit lighter hey... maybe there's a bit of lighting and camera effect... dunno... 

image.thumb.png.e3eadc9565cc3cfd24e68ae502c490b9.png

Maybe our good mate @Mickep Mick might be able to assist with the influence on the camera shot and then the outcome of the creamy top?

I guess when I been drinkin' them neither meself or me clients have suggested it was a brown-out ; ) 

But not sure whether quite pure-white-as-snow-guinness top either?

But I probs have not been that focused on that either as I think nothing I have ever brewed will fit into a BJCP Guideline just sorta going with the flow and trying to make something.... that is hopefully nice... 

I am not so sure about the colours of the head, as you say @Itinerant Peasant different lighting etc may have an influence on that, but the head texture is something else and a great looking brew - both of them!

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Agree, kegging is the way to go but I'm not going.

I'll bottle and put up with.. whatever it is.

I'm happy, 🍻

I myself will beg to differ re Kegging is the way to go with my very good Brewing Colleague @Classic Brewing Co and say that I think that kegging is a good thing and a beautiful thing.... but that you can keg the same KnK beer and enjoy it as much as a bottler.

And if you want to brew better beer - you need to improve that with your ingredients and process well prior to the secondary step of bottling or kegging.

I believe that if you brew very good beer - Coopers KnK - and then adjuncts - and put that in a bottle - you can achieve incredibly good beer.

I brewed KnK for years.   And then moved into adjuncts and enhancements in Kit Brewing and made amazingly good beers.

Then I went into All-Grain with bottling... and made great beers... including Coopers magnificent Largies that were lagered for like three months at 3 degrees... was truly amazing.

And now more recently have gone into kegging and then subsequently into Nitro.

I do not believe that a kegged kit beer is better than an AG bottled beer.... sorry - it just can't be.

I hope that I am not causing controversy here - but the brewing chemistry would suggest otherwise - because other than that it is a pure issue of carbonation.

And yeah - there may well be specialty beers and Brewer's particular outcomes where kegging lower qual inputs would achieve their specific outcomes for sure.

And very much - at the end of the day - it is purely a matter of personal choice - taste - and what works practicably and cost-effectively for everyone's specific frame of reference...

But at the end of the day... if you want to get closer to the truth - it is getting closer to the grain... not necessarily the gas.

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

image.thumb.png.662ef342bbb0788cebec90d2719cc623.png

This more recent fella does seem a bit lighter hey... maybe there's a bit of lighting and camera effect... dunno... 

image.thumb.png.e3eadc9565cc3cfd24e68ae502c490b9.png

Looks SO creamy, whack it on a scone 

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

I myself will beg to differ re Kegging is the way to go with my very good Brewing Colleague @Classic Brewing Co and say that I think that kegging is a good thing and a beautiful thing.... but that you can keg the same KnK beer and enjoy it as much as a bottler.

And if you want to brew better beer - you need to improve that with your ingredients and process well prior to the secondary step of bottling or kegging.

I believe that if you brew very good beer - Coopers KnK - and then adjuncts - and put that in a bottle - you can achieve incredibly good beer.

I brewed KnK for years.   And then moved into adjuncts and enhancements in Kit Brewing and made amazingly good beers.

Then I went into All-Grain with bottling... and made great beers... including Coopers magnificent Largies that were lagered for like three months at 3 degrees... was truly amazing.

And now more recently have gone into kegging and then subsequently into Nitro.

I do not believe that a kegged kit beer is better than an AG bottled beer.... sorry - it just can't be.

I hope that I am not causing controversy here - but the brewing chemistry would suggest otherwise - because other than that it is a pure issue of carbonation.

And yeah - there may well be specialty beers and Brewer's particular outcomes where kegging lower qual inputs would achieve their specific outcomes for sure.

And very much - at the end of the day - it is purely a matter of personal choice - taste - and what works practicably and cost-effectively for everyone's specific frame of reference...

But at the end of the day... if you want to get closer to the truth - it is getting closer to the grain... not necessarily the gas.

Some very sound advise there @Itinerant Peasant IP.

We all have to find our "Niche" in brewing and Life.

I'm happy with what I'm doing, I've tried @Classic Brewing Co brews, bottle and Keg and they are good.

I'll never be that good but i'm happy with where I'm at, I will get a "little" bit better.

It's a journey..

Edited by DavidM
Remove Word
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Bottling has a nostalgia for me. I've not heard anyone saying how they found a long forgotten keg stashed away that took them back to brew day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

27 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

I bottled for years and had some exceptional beers done in bottles. However I do not miss the cleaning, sanitising and just the general hassle of bottles. Just storing them is a pain to me these days 🤪. Each to their own though.

I do also feel that beer conditions faster in a keg, it is also ready to pour in a much faster time frame than with bottles.

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Some very sound advise there @Itinerant Peasant IP.

We all have to find our "Niche" in brewing and Life.

I'm happy with what I'm doing, I've tried @Classic Brewing Co brews, bottle and Keg and they are good.

I'll never be that good but i'm happy with where I'm at, I will get a "little" bit better.

It's a journey..

Hey David, your beers are fine & thank you for your kind words, however I think every brewer that has been at it for a few years will agree that practice makes perfect, experience is knowledge & it is a never ending journey of learning. 

There are times when you think you have achieved perfection but we look as someone else's brew & say wow.

It is a matter of how much you want to meet our good friend Bug's 🐰 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

39 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

I bottled for years and had some exceptional beers done in bottles. However I do not miss the cleaning, sanitising and just the general hassle of bottles. Just storing them is a pain to me these days 🤪. Each to their own though.

I do also feel that beer conditions faster in a keg, it is also ready to pour in a much faster time frame than with bottles.

Hey Kmar I have to concur, I bottled for years & still do & yes if you can let a good Dark Ale/Stout age in a bottle it a great thing, tonight I took a longneck of stout over to the neighbors that was 6 weeks old & it was a treat.

But I am with you on the extra work associated with bottling, it is much easier to detail a keg & gas it up & you can drink it in a couple of days.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Columbus Pale Ale

A single hopped Pale Ale.  See recipe via red coloured text.

Subtle citrus aroma. Plus herbal notes.

Lots of flavour.  Good maltiness.  Good bitterness.  Hoppy herbal flavour.  Head retention is great.

IMG_3197.JPG.663d971a82c0e103c1776eb9c4e939a8.JPG

Looks great Shamus, always the perfectionist, which is a good thing. It is always pleasing to see the Keg Guru's still bottle the odd drop. 

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Looks great Shamus, always the perfectionist, which is a good thing. It is always pleasing to see the Keg Guru's still bottle the odd drop. 

Thanks Classic.  I started a new job a few months ago and when the guys and girls heard I brew beer they started asking about samples.  Hence I have been putting a few in bottles to give them sample packs.

In this case, this helped me out because the main Columbus keg was for my brother.  My neighbour ran out of beer, so I gave him the half keg.  Luckily, I had a few bottles, so I got to taste this sample myself.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Thanks Classic.  I started a new job a few months ago and when the guys and girls heard I brew beer they started asking about samples.  Hence I have been putting a few in bottles to give them sample packs.

In this case, this helped me out because the main Columbus keg was for my brother.  My neighbour ran out of beer, so I gave him the half keg.  Luckily, I had a few bottles, so I got to taste this sample myself.

Way to go.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, kmar92 said:

I am not so sure about the colours of the head, as you say @Itinerant Peasant different lighting etc may have an influence on that, but the head texture is something else and a great looking brew - both of them!

I seem to remember you have a nitro setup @kmar92 mate, and your pics have a white head, beautiful looking, just like in Ireland 😉

You reckon it’s the lighting? 

I think this is an old effort of an extract version of a  Belgian strong golden, about a year old. Used to be quite “challenging“ to drink, actually not bad at all now. 
Go figure…

The other one is the Summer Berry Sour. Yum 😋 

2B7054D6-3C1B-40CD-B78A-D5BFF7063B7E.jpeg

27F12A74-1C24-4D3C-9F56-3154838BFFCE.jpeg

Edited by stquinto
Typo
  • Like 7

14 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Maybe our good mate @Mickep Mick might be able to assist with the influence on the camera shot and then the outcome of the creamy top?

Full sun - warmer color. Cloud cover or shade cooler pic.  Afternoon or midday? I say Kelvin temp played it's part. 

Either way - outstanding beer!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Mickep said:

Full sun - warmer color. Cloud cover or shade cooler pic. 

Thanks @Mickep Good stuff. 

The below is not such a festive photo but was taken soon after a pour to capture the cascading bubble effect but the condensation on the glass sorta nipped that in the bud 😕

But @stquinto Sainter I guess -- here as Mick points out - in the shade - cooler photo - somewhat more white and less orange-brown maybe?  ... shoulda put the Flouro on that might've whitened it up a bit but am not a lover of having me retinas grilled by flouros that much 😆

image.thumb.png.67b839906888ab7699ada81c3455123c.png

Anyway come what may I cannot help much more on this specific black foamy brew -- as sadly just as you are really enjoying the beer... the keg blows -- but at least a visiting mate got the last Pint last night : )

• Like 4
  • Haha 2