Coopers Community

Fail thread (mistakes you’ve made 2021)

MitchBastard

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I was given a Coopers FV

Replaced the "O" Rings, 4 days delivery.

Didn't realise how dirty the tap was and then replaced the tap, 5 days delivery.

Somethings arrive on time others get lost in the cracks.

I buy a lot of Coopers products, but I have never actually ordered from them.

Keg Land for example are very prompt with their deliveries. I have found a few other large online brewing suppliers to be the same.

So, I really can't comment on Coopers delivery.

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Keg Land for example are very prompt with their deliveries.

You obviously didn't order from them anytime in the past couple of years when they have had extensive wait times for orders to be picked and despatched, at times up to 20 days.

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, beach_life said:

Moved the keezer, knocked over the gas bottle, broke the reg then overcarbed my beers.

speaking of gas bottles one thing i have always wondered..

if the 6.5kg one i get is nearly 20kg.. how blooming heavy are the 20kg ones the pub gets!?!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stickers said:

speaking of gas bottles one thing i have always wondered..

if the 6.5kg one i get is nearly 20kg.. how blooming heavy are the 20kg ones the pub gets!?!

I have the big CO2 31kg bottle (stands about 5ft high) from BOC, not sure if that's the total weight though as it feels a lot heavier than that to pick up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, beach_life said:

Moved the keezer, knocked over the gas bottle, broke the reg then overcarbed my beers.

Life’s a beach!

You being overcarbonated at the time of the incident, was that a contributing factor🤣

In all seriousness though I liked what @Classic Brewing Co ‘s nephew/relative did with the wooden box for his keezer where he cut a hole in the top of the box and sat the gas bottle in the hole. Looked really neat and kept the bottle safe! (Provided you have the room next to your keezer)

Edited by RDT2
  • Haha 4

17 hours ago, beach_life said:

If it’s any help @beach_life, this is what I did with my 6kg CO2 cylinder next to my keezer.

‘When I built it I added extra framing in so I could screw hooks into it, then just cut some chain to suit. 

14487EF8-E77E-4A3C-A0B5-F41A7BF11298.jpeg

Edited by Red devil 44
  • Like 7

13 hours ago, RDT2 said:

Life’s a beach!

You being overcarbonated at the time of the incident, was that a contributing factor🤣

In all seriousness though I liked what @Classic Brewing Co ‘s nephew/relative did with the wooden box for his keezer where he cut a hole in the top of the box and sat the gas bottle in the hole. Looked really neat and kept the bottle safe! (Provided you have the room next to your keezer)

He is a bit of a handyman unlike his uncle, attached for those who didn't see it.

151558375.jpg

1582066261.jpg

• Like 6

On 12/27/2022 at 12:55 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

NOOOOOOO!!!!

It looks perfectly fine to me Malter.  But given its precarious position on the sink, I guess it is tipped by now.  I would rather bottle/keg and if there are issues on drinking it, tip it then.  I have only ever tipped one brew and it was after it was bottled.

I wish I had foresight instead of hindsight. I tried this recipe again and once again it had the floaties. However this time I've sampled the beer before making a decision. It tasted great for which I'm really happy about but now regret turfing the previous version. Oh well, you live and learn I guess.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2023 at 3:38 PM, Cheap Charlie said:

Keg blew last night, opened this morning, frozen! About a 6 pack or so down the drain 😩

I have had that happen a few times, turns out its always the keg in the LHS rear corner of my Keezer so when it happens I just carefully move it to a different position and leave it alone for a few days, seems to work.  One day I will fit a couple of air re-circulation fans as I have a box of new PC fans here somewhere.

• Like 2

The other day I was cranking up the CO2 to 40 psi to fast carb a keg of Innkeeper’s Daughter when there was a loud “pop” then “wack”.  One of the spare gas lines I have coming off my manifold was sitting on the benchtop and it exploded apart. The gas ball lock connector’s MFL threaded Duo tight adapter had let go and the gas disconnect itself hit me right in the t*t.  Luckily I don’t have big nipples otherwise it may well have latched on. 😅

Suspect sanitiser has gotten into the MFL duo tight and ruined the plastic.  So now I cannot trust the others and I am going to swap all my stuff over to SS bits with step-less clamps.  Lesson learned – turn off any manifold taps not being used for fast carbing.  Glad this did not happen later or overnight as I had just re-filled my 6 kg bottle of CO2 and it would have been lost.

As a post script:

A second MFL duo tight failed yesterday.  It was connected to my 27 L fermzilla feeding a pressure gauge and blow off tube.  Noticing the pressure had built up quite a bit more than I thought I had it set for, decided to wind the spunding valve open a bit more to adjust.  Soon as I touched the valve the MFL duo tight blew apart, same place as previous failure and the fermzilla depressurised before I could remove the gas ball lock.  I now have an order in to replace all my duo tights with barbed and clamped bits as they are all the same age c.2 years old and lost faith in the plastic now.

Duotight MFL failure - resized.png

• Haha 1
  • Sad 3

6 minutes ago, beach_life said:

Stall, I have had a stall and it won't restart. MJ New World Strong. Looks to have crapped out @ 1.020....
Raised the temp to 25°c and nothing

for what sort of brew mate? any spare yeast? imagine how many times this happened to people who didn't do readings and it all ended up fine? Or the bottles blew up and it was witchcraft?

I know u keg hope have spare yeast and get it down

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

any spare yeast?

I don't think it will work - it was around 1.065 and I think the alcohol will murder the yeast.

I may transfer to another clean FV tomorrow - I think that may work as it can rouse the yeast.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cheap Charlie said:

better than in the eye mate, something to be aware of cheers

Yep damn lucky alright, that I was leaning over the bench to get to the gas reg.  Also damn lucky I was not learning over too far otherwise it would have hit me in the ****.  Very nervous now, moving or touching these fittings and will be glad when they are all SS barb and crimp.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, beach_life said:

I don't think it will work - it was around 1.065 and I think the alcohol will murder the yeast.

I may transfer to another clean FV tomorrow - I think that may work as it can rouse the yeast.

Did you do a reasonably sized starter to begin with or was it just a punt?