Coopers Community

Fail thread (mistakes you’ve made 2021)

MitchBastard

19 minutes ago, Oldbloke said:

"was only after I'd finished bottling everything that I realized I'd forgotten to sanitize the tap before inserting the wand. "

I never bother. Just rinse/ clean. Perhaps 1/10 gets a soak in bleach.

Yeah, I reckon I'll probably get away with it. It was cleaned and rinsed and sanitized before I fitted it into the fermenter. But that was 11 days ago. I usually give the tap a spray with the sanitizer before inserting the wand, which is also sanitized.

It's probably no big deal but it's beer we're talking about. I'd hate to spoil it for the sake of a 5second spray.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, jennyss said:

OOOhh! I've never sanitized the tap before bottling - just didn't think of it! It gets sanitized before filling the FV, but yes, that's usually about 10 days ago.

It will be Ok Jenny; I have left it a few times between brews, but I do run the sanitiser through the tap.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, jennyss said:

OOOhh! I've never sanitized the tap before bottling - just didn't think of it! It gets sanitized before filling the FV, but yes, that's usually about 10 days ago.

I think it's in the Coopers bottling video (if there is such a thing, one of the videos anyway, I'm sure Liam sprayed the tap). I don't think I thought of it myself, I'm just a copy cat from Ballarat.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Kegory said:

I think it's in the Coopers bottling video (if there is such a thing, one of the videos anyway, I'm sure Liam sprayed the tap). I don't think I thought of it myself, I'm just a copy cat from Ballarat.

I spray it every time I take a hydrometer reading as well

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

I wasn't trying to be smart sorry if it came across like that

I was just commenting on the tap sanitising subject and whenever I do it 

No, not at all. I was trying to be funny.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Oh, I just realised I've made another mistake, this time on 006. More of an oversight, I guess, but same ball park.

It didn't even occur to me to sanitize the outside of the krausen collar, which, of course, goes inside the FV. I sanitized the inside of the collar, and the rim, and the inside of the FV, and the rim, and the inside and the rim of the lid. I haven't used it before so hopefully it hasn't picked up any nasties or contaminents in transit or whilst sitting, waiting to be used.

What do they say about the best laid plans?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kegory said:

Oh, I just realised I've made another mistake, this time on 006. More of an oversight, I guess, but same ball park.

It didn't even occur to me to sanitize the outside of the krausen collar, which, of course, goes inside the FV. I sanitized the inside of the collar, and the rim, and the inside of the FV, and the rim, and the inside and the rim of the lid. I haven't used it before so hopefully it hasn't picked up any nasties or contaminents in transit or whilst sitting, waiting to be used.

If it was clean, 90% chance it will be fine. Don't stress. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers @Oldbloke. I'm not stressed. I have expected to make mistakes and oversights, I was just hoping to make most of them on my more basic, beginner brews rather than on my more interesting brews. Although, I suppose, the more you've got going on the more chance there is of getting something wrong.

5 minutes ago, Kegory said:

When I sanitise anything, it goes into a tub from K-mart, they are cheap & come with a lid, there are different sizes. I think mine is 50l.

You can completely immerse everything in there to ensure correct sanitation. It also lasts for reuse many times.

20221228_115645.thumb.jpg.7ecc83229eba70acba2cf3d9a4efdcd2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Kegory said:

Thanks Phil. That looks like the way to go, TBH. It'll probably lead to less sanitizer getting splashed onto the floor.

Yeah, even the Krausen Kollar you can roll around in there, the stirring spoons, airlocks, can opener, jugs, in fact anything that comes into the beer gets zapped, even your hands 🤚

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Woke up this morning to find the Inkbird temperature on my TC Innkeepers Daughter Ale is at 14C.  WTH?! Open the fermenting fridge and it feels like a warm, sunny day. Uh-oh!

It seems I've inadvertently knocked the temperature probe off the fermenting vessel and it's been dangling outside the fridge in the cold night air all night. So Inkbird has had the heat belt running all night trying to get the wort up to it's prescribed 20C. I reinstate temp probe to the FV and then start praying I haven't got a wort that would cook 2 minute noodles.

Thankfully it's settled at 26C and the Inkbird alarm was set at 27C, I didn't hear any alarms, so I don't think any damage will be done apart from a less than desirable ferment temperature for one night. On the bright side, it'll probably be done sooner.🤦‍♂️

IMG_20230628_064725.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 6

12 minutes ago, Malter White said:

Woke up this morning to find the Inkbird temperature on my TC Innkeepers Daughter Ale is at 14C.  WTH?! Open the fermenting fridge and it feels like a warm, sunny day. Uh-oh!

It seems I've inadvertently knocked the temperature probe off the fermenting vessel and it's been dangling outside the fridge in the cold night air all night. So Inkbird has had the heat belt running all night trying to get the wort up to it's prescribed 20C. I reinstate temp probe to the FV and then start praying I haven't got a wort that would cook 2 minute noodles.

Thankfully it's settled at 26C and the Inkbird alarm was set at 27C, I didn't hear any alarms, so I don't think any damage will be done apart from a less than desirable ferment temperature for one night. On the bright side, it'll probably be done sooner.🤦‍♂️

IMG_20230628_064725.jpg

Ouch

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malter White said:

Dear oh Dear Malter, the things that can go wrong! Let's hope it all works out for you.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

Did you work out what caused it?

I’m not sure TBH mate. I wonder if it was poor hygiene but I did nothing different with this brew. It was a “bit” sour, I drank half of a keg but in the end it wasn’t getting any better at all and I needed the keg. Oh well…

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

10 hours ago, stquinto said:

I’m not sure TBH mate. I wonder if it was poor hygiene but I did nothing different with this brew. It was a “bit” sour, I drank half of a keg but in the end it wasn’t getting any better at all and I needed the keg. Oh well…

Yes, it is sad when that happens, I have only ever had that happen with a Stout, I came to the conclusion it was Autolysis.

It really hurts when you tip 1/2 keg of stout in the middle of winter. 😂

• Sad 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2023 at 7:32 AM, Malter White said:

IMG_20230628_064725.jpg

I did something similar to this. I'm not sure if i let it hang loose, or if it was when my son was getting his surf board out the  garage.

Ruined. Chucked it out.

• Sad 3