Coopers Community

Fail thread (mistakes you’ve made 2021)

MitchBastard

There is nothing wrong with how david stores his long necks. Ive used an old wardrobe with shelves fitted for about 10 years. Holds 8 brews. Its very efficient and takes up little floor space.

The solution is find the cause of the high pressure in the long neck.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Yes, but over carbonated.  Will try another few tonight.

Was it pretty bad,,,like champagne?

If more are too fizzy tonight then obviously

1. too much primeing sugar or

2. brew not completely fermented out. (Most likely)

Temperature control?

Time in fermenter?

Remove that brew to a cool area....carefully.

Edited by Oldbloke
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Yes, but over carbonated.  Will try another few tonight.

I used to find just a single teaspoon 4.1gms was ample for a long neck (I used a Brigalow Sugar Scoop) & all of mine were not stored for more than a few weeks& the carbonation was just right. I hopped them up a fair bit, any longer the aroma & taste would fade away.

Darks & Stouts I stored a little longer but still drank them in a short time. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Malter White said:

I've been making Coopers kits solidly for almost 6 years. I would have made well over 100 of them. Why is it this morning was the first I realised this is how to remove the plastic lid? Previously I'd been trying to pry the lid from the edge with cold chisel styled fingers. 🤦‍♂️

I think they call it a 'senior moment' old chap. 👴

• Like 1

On 10/19/2023 at 6:49 AM, Malter White said:

I've been making Coopers kits solidly for almost 6 years. I would have made well over 100 of them. Why is it this morning was the first I realised this is how to remove the plastic lid? Previously I'd been trying to pry the lid from the edge with cold chisel styled fingers. 🤦‍♂️

I always try to get them off in one piece. That way they can go in the recycling.
Once broken the middle bit especially is too small for recycling.

And bottle bombs. Thankfully haven't had more than one bottle per batch go for a long time.
I just put that down to the bottle having a weak point.

Edited by Graculus
  • Like 1

Well I got of jail today and avoided every keggers nightmare. Two nights ago i tried to pour a glass of my raspberry sour but it appeared the beer line was frozen and couldn’t get any beer to come out so was stuffing around with the tap turning it on and off to get it to flow which it didn’t so i gave up and had another beer! Well I must have left the tap partially open as when i went into the garage today i had my google chrome remote on the keg-orator and it was sticky with a tinge of pink. I was like that’s weird then found the whole top of the fridge was sticky and some had ran down the back of the fridge mostly into the condensation tray. Some had also gone onto floor and didn’t reach the new carpet i have in my garage. I think when it started to flow I’m guessing the spring closed the tap or as I turn my gas bottle off when not in use it stopped flowing! I am so so lucky! 

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

I guess there’s no 2023 version of this thread, maybe there’ll be a 2024 version soon, but here’s todays point. This belongs here rather than “What Are You Drinking 2023” because it’s an example of disregarding a recipe going wrong. This is my Chai Latte Stout, what has now been bottle conditioning for 241 days or about 8 months. Admittedly it has mellowed just a touch but here are the details:

Looks - nice and dark, like coke

Aroma - CHAI!

Flavour - CHAI! Marginal chocolate

Head - virtually none because using average kitchen glass

basically the recipe calls for 1 x 1/2 tablespoon of chair spice. Now when I went to the shop to buy it I was expecting the powder I see in coffee shops but the box contained what looked more like a trail mix of bits of herbs and such. Not knowing what difference that would make flavour wise, I figured I’d probably get less extraction than the dissolved powder so I added 1 heaped tablespoon to the boil. And there’s the mistake. Instead of a nicely balanced chai flavour to the stout, this is like a giant chai punch to the face and nose, like Rocky 😵‍💫. Absolutely dominates the palate and kinda leaves you dazed! Needless to say the wife wanted no part in what I brewed for her.

One day I will probably do this brew again, but I will definitely follow the recipe next time 😅😅 less is more sometimes.

IMG_5504.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 2

56 minutes ago, NBillett09 said:

I guess there’s no 2023 version of this thread, maybe there’ll be a 2024 version soon, but here’s todays point. This belongs here rather than “What Are You Drinking 2023” because it’s an example of disregarding a recipe going wrong. This is my Chai Latte Stout, what has now been bottle conditioning for 241 days or about 8 months. Admittedly it has mellowed just a touch but here are the details:

Looks - nice and dark, like coke

Aroma - CHAI!

Flavour - CHAI! Marginal chocolate

Head - virtually none because using average kitchen glass

basically the recipe calls for 1 x 1/2 tablespoon of chair spice. Now when I went to the shop to buy it I was expecting the powder I see in coffee shops but the box contained what looked more like a trail mix of bits of herbs and such. Not knowing what difference that would make flavour wise, I figured I’d probably get less extraction than the dissolved powder so I added 1 heaped tablespoon to the boil. And there’s the mistake. Instead of a nicely balanced chai flavour to the stout, this is like a giant chai punch to the face and nose, like Rocky 😵‍💫. Absolutely dominates the palate and kinda leaves you dazed! Needless to say the wife wanted no part in what I brewed for her.

One day I will probably do this brew again, but I will definitely follow the recipe next time 😅😅 less is more sometimes.

IMG_5504.jpeg

How many bottles did you make? How many bottles do you have left?

I have not, mainly because I already have another stout in bottles (the Choccy Milk Stout) which has me sorted and during th warmer months I’d rather be getting into pale ales/ipa/Neipa type beers. I saw Christmas was coming up soon so I’m gonna have a second crack at the recent neipa FWK, the first one turned out more like a pale ale so I’ve ordered fresh hops and also KegLands new hydrolyzed oat extract to throw together, see if V2 turned out more like intended 😅 if not I’ll be back here again! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, NBillett09 said:

I have not, mainly because I already have another stout in bottles (the Choccy Milk Stout) which has me sorted and during th warmer months I’d rather be getting into pale ales/ipa/Neipa type beers. I saw Christmas was coming up soon so I’m gonna have a second crack at the recent neipa FWK, the first one turned out more like a pale ale so I’ve ordered fresh hops and also KegLands new hydrolyzed oat extract to throw together, see if V2 turned out more like intended 😅 if not I’ll be back here again! 😂

Hopefully not.

But a 2024 Fail thread sounds like a good idea.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Bugger HH, that is definitely not a good thing, when you find out what happened, let us know the cause. 

The last thing you need at this time of the year. 

Mrs knocked it somehow getting something out of the freezer. 

• Sad 2

6 hours ago, Hilltop hops said:

Mrs knocked it somehow getting something out of the freezer. 

Definitely not her fault then the gender saves her being at fault. 😉 So have you posted in the wrong thread? Not really a mistake you have made. 

Unless the mistake is having a missus?

Edited by Uhtred Of Beddanburg
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Definitely not her fault then the gender saves her being at fault. 😉 So have you posted in the wrong thread? Not really a mistake you have made. 

Unless the mistake is having a missus?

The mistake was having the tap positioned within knocking distance of the freezer.

• Like 2