Coopers Community

Fail thread (mistakes you’ve made 2021)

MitchBastard

I’ll kick off this years beery blunders....

after having 5 mins to assemble and work out my counter pressure bottle filler, I decided to give it a test run. Being a bit cautious as I’d never used one, I was pleasantly surprised when I successfully transferred 750ml of American ipa into a tallie. What was less impressive was the fact that I didn’t allow the residual pressure in the hose to vent before removing the rubber bung from the neck of the bottle. 

I had two showers this morning, a normal shower and an American IPA shower. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

A good little fail on the weekend... I didn't think how quickly the Wort would come out from the FWK!

Fumbled it around for a little to get it closer to the FV. Ended up having a Wort shower. So did the dog!

All in all didn't lose to much of the FWK (a few litres), but enough to have a wort smelling dog.

• Haha 3

It may not be a fail but it has potential. I put down 2 x 23 litre brews today and they're sitting in my ferment fridge under the verandah. I forgot the SA Power Networks people are turning our power off tomorrow for "essential works". It's going to be 29C tomorrow in Adelaide. Hoping my brews won't get anywhere near that temperature.

• Sad 1

56 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

It may not be a fail but it has potential. I put down 2 x 23 litre brews today and they're sitting in my ferment fridge under the verandah. I forgot the SA Power Networks people are turning our power off tomorrow for "essential works". It's going to be 29C tomorrow in Adelaide. Hoping my brews won't get anywhere near that temperature.

get some soft drink or milk containers fill with water and freeze to put around it. worse case scenario a few bags of ice if cost u $8 stop getting too hot worth it.

They done this at my house fem months ago was at night time.

Edited by jamiek86
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I put down a brew to be pressure fermented yesterday, in a 29lt kegmenter. Got up this morning and went to check the brew fridge and there was quite a flood in and around it. Although I am very much aware of the dangers of attaching the floating dip tube to the gas post guess what this imbecile did? Must have been a total brain fade. The wort had built pressure nicely overnight as the yeast went to work and then just pushed it out via the blowtie set up! Fortunately the gauge appears to be OK, it was mounted to the top of the blowtie setup and seems to have escaped any of the liquid. The spunding valve is one of the plastic versions that is easy to dismantle and clean. With my spare blowtie gear installed the kegmenter is working away happily with a few litres less of the original wort.

I have had a fun day cleaning partly fermented beer from the fridge and surrounds.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Well really this is the back end of 2020.

Started a brew. Put it in the brew fridge. Set temperature to 20C.

Went to see how it was going a day or so later.
The fridge wasn't turned on. We'd had high temperatures during the week.
Bottled it. Tastes awful. I'll have to tip it.

• Sad 6

A bit of a disaster during brew day yesterday.  I was trying to overlap some tasks to cut the total time down a bit.  Idea - during the draining of the grain in the basket I could also bringing the wort up to the boil at the same time.  The basket has spring clips that pop out and hold the basket above the hot wort to drain. It was a good plan and was working ok so could see myself saving 15” or so here.

Once the draining was nearly done and wort getting close to the boil, I lifted the basket up in order to swing it out of the way and onto the bench nearby.  Trouble is I forgot to turn my re-circulation pump off and one of the basket clips pulled the re-circulation hose up out of the wort, pointed it straight at me and soaked my entire right side in near boiling wort.  Was only wearing a T-shirt, shorts and thongs, my stomach and upper right thigh got cooked.  Luckily was able to get the hose back into the boiler and quickly grab a couple of frozen water milk bottles to stop the scolding effect.  Stomach feels like it has been sunburned today.

Wort went all over the floor and I was just soaked, and sticky as but just had to press on until the 60” hops went into the boil and then started to clean the big mess up.

I was like Velcro man getting around the brewery after that, clothes sticking to me, feet sticking to thongs and thongs to the floor.  Big lesson learned – remember to turn that pump of when mash is finished.

• Sad 5

I have accidentally switched the pump button whilst the cap was off the recirc pipe and pumped hot wort everywhere. I only lightly scolded my hand and was very lucky.

But definitely a good idea bringing the wort to boil whilst draining the basket. I think sitting the basket above also helps get the temp up quicker; it acts like a lid.

@iBooz2 

its not good fun getting scalded by  near boiling wort and i say ya not the 1st or the last to do it.

your idea of upping the temp to boil to save time is a good one this is all i have ever done since taking up A.G

I can remember going to a brew Day In south Australia at a homebrew shop that was situated on ol tapleys hill rd  in Glenelg (dont think he is still open
(he was Part owner of Grumpys brewhuas near Harndorf before they departed ways)
and we was using a 50litre west end keg  over gas burner and just had finished the boil

as i was one of the closest standing by the brewer of the day needed some assistance to lift the boiling wort to near a tap so they could chill the wort down
to put in the fermenter.

so stupid me  places 1 hand on the handle of the keg  which wasnt to bad but  with my other hand i put on the bottom of the keg for support and didnt give it thought i t was going to be  hot
(dont know what me think it wasnt going to be red hot)  anyway ended up with 3 massive blisters on the palm of my hand and was rather lucky  as i didnt scare from the incident or show where my burn marks was...  but boy  the throbbing pain   was not good

lesson learned that day  dont touch bottom of  red hot keg

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Grumpy's Brewhuas near Harndorf  ( Verdun ) was destroyed in a fire in 2016, it has been closed since.

They still brew from a shed at the rear apparently & it  is about to be demolished & rebuilt soon. Wasn't a bad place for a beer & a pizza.

Grumpys was the 1st place i brought my brew gear.whch served me well until i had a bout 10 year break from brewing

Loved there beer and pizza's   when i lived in S.A  left adelaide in 2006

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Yeah they were OK, I didn't like his Bee Sting Honey beer, some of the others were OK. He's not a bad bloke actually, I used to sell him stuff.

Visited quite often. The owner Andrew showed us around, and his wood fire oven. Mrs talks to him often on facebook now days. I loved his beers, especially Rogers Reserve IPA.

His wood oven pizzas were on another level. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Yeah they were OK, I didn't like his Bee Sting Honey beer, some of the others were OK. He's not a bad bloke actually, I used to sell him stuff.

i agree i wasnt a fan of his honey bee sting beer either. but most of his beers i liked

when they had the brew shop there  they did have some great extract recipes  to use

where you would  boil up 300mls of hotwater and mix the ingrediats in that  with a can of malt extract and away ya went..

but he closed the homebrew side as he was pushing more of the resturant side of things

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Visited quite often. The owner Andrew showed us around, and his wood fire oven. Mrs talks to him often on facebook now days. I loved his beers, especially Rogers Reserve IPA.

Andrew also had a partner  that actually ran the homebrew side of  things  and i believe they  had a falling out and went seperate ways
and Andrew solely took on  grumpys

The other started a home brew shop on tapleys hill rd in Glenelg

Agree  the wood oven pizzas was brilliant and was very busy  place  to enjoy a drink and a feed

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

If you Google it now you will see the devastating results of the fire, there is a large news article as well.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

Andrew also had a partner  that actually ran the homebrew side of  things  and i believe they  had a falling out and went seperate ways
and Andrew solely took on  grumpys

The other started a home brew shop on tapleys hill rd in Glenelg

Agree  the wood oven pizzas was brilliant and was very busy  place  to enjoy a drink and a feed

I used to take young ladies ( as I am only young ) 😄 for weekend drives in the Adelaide Hills, it was great visiting the Wineries/Breweries & finally ending up at Grumpys as I could slide down the freeway & be home in about 20 minutes, sober of course.

• Haha 1