Coopers Community

Fail thread (mistakes you’ve made 2021)

MitchBastard

5 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Very nervous now, moving or touching these fittings and will be glad when they are all SS barb and crimp.

PIA but they last.

1 minute ago, iBooz2 said:

Did you do a reasonably sized starter to begin with or was it just a punt?

Dry pitch of one sachet - my fault with the high OG for sure

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, beach_life said:

I don't think it will work - it was around 1.065 and I think the alcohol will murder the yeast.

I may transfer to another clean FV tomorrow - I think that may work as it can rouse the yeast.

How will that work just transferring it? wouldn't a simple stir or gentle rock be the same .

Not being smart either interested to know the reason if end up in same spot.

Edited by Uhtred Of Beddanburg
  • Like 1

OH BUGGER!

Opened up the Keezer the other evening to select and pour a beer.  Damn kegs were swimming in about 5 L of dark beer.

The only dark beer in there was an Innkeepers Daughter K&K which I kegged several days ago, and it was in one of the three second hand kegs my mate Bob had given to me.  I had replaced all the seals and "O" rings on the posts and dip tubes etc so was stumped as to why my other kegs were swimming in this beer.

Lifted the suspect keg out and sat it on an old towel.  Applied gas to it expecting to see it spew its contents all over the towel but nothing.  So up went the CO2 pressure until 40 psi. and still nothing dribbling, spraying weeping (except me of course) so once again I was stumped as to why.    Later on, I remembered I had connected one of my Pluto guns to this keg for a sample beer late one night as a nightcap.   The only plausible explanation was that the Pluto gun had leaked slightly overnight and caused the pond of dark beer.

Anyway, after about 4 hours work removing all kegs, sopping up the mess and cleaning everything with a sanitising bleach solution and drying it all out, fired the Keezer up again and put my drinking kegs back in.

So, from now on I will disconnect the Pluto guns from the kegs after last drinks just to be sure.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2
  • Sad 6

I figured I would clean some bottles with the brush and a drill method. Having nowhere to place the drill, dumbass rested it across the bucket and turned my back to get another bottle. Kersplosh, hmmm that sounded like the drill. Drill was ok but battery cactus. $150 for a new battery they don't miss ya.

• Like 1
  • Sad 9

5 hours ago, Cheap Charlie said:

I figured I would clean some bottles with the brush and a drill method. Having nowhere to place the drill, dumbass rested it across the bucket and turned my back to get another bottle. Kersplosh, hmmm that sounded like the drill. Drill was ok but battery cactus. $150 for a new battery they don't miss ya.

Stuff that. 90% of mine go in the dish washer. SHMBO suggested it. Works great. Now complains I am doing it. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Cheap Charlie said:

That is a lot for a battery, it must be a good drill.

I have just ordered some of this, I was sent a sample & it is great stuff. 

https://diversey.com/en/product-catalogue/beer-clean-glass-cleaner-990201-nam

Beer Clean® Glass Cleaner

j4kc20gixhnycnmzj8b0.jpg

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So despite trying to ferment as a reasonable temp it seems like my chai latte stout with S-04 has stalled. I did first 2 days of fermentation at 19, then up to 20deg for 5 days. My OG was 1.070, recipe says aiming for FG of 1.015-1.017 but also for 6.5%, so my OG wass possibly a bit high. Fermentation should take 7-10 days, and today at day 7 the SG is 1.032. All krausen has dropped out.

what do I do to get it going again to finish it off? Bump temp to 22?

36 minutes ago, NBillett09 said:

So despite trying to ferment as a reasonable temp it seems like my chai latte stout with S-04 has stalled. I did first 2 days of fermentation at 19, then up to 20deg for 5 days. My OG was 1.070, recipe says aiming for FG of 1.015-1.017 but also for 6.5%, so my OG wass possibly a bit high. Fermentation should take 7-10 days, and today at day 7 the SG is 1.032. All krausen has dropped out.

Perhaps the S-04 doesn't like the higher ABV?

I've only had this happen once or twice years ago. First double check you temp controls are working ok. I would raise the temp a bit, 22c sounds good. Add some yeast, any yeast will do, perhaps 200g of sugar or malt to ensure the yeast has something easy to consume, and give it a bit of a stir with a sanitised spoon. Bottle about day 12 or 13 to ensure its had plenty of time.

Sometimes stouts FG is high anyway. I think its the very dark/burnt malt. It's very slow to ferment.

My 2c

Someone with a bit more experience may have other ideas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Oldbloke said:

Mate I have got one in ATM with the same yeast, it is a fast fermenter & the krausen falls back into the wort, if you can keep it above 18c or 20c would be better it will be fine. The last 2 I have done with S-04 have done the same thing, just keep an eye on the temperature. I left mine for 14 days & it is great.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Mate I have got one in ATM with the same yeast, it is a fast fermenter & the krausen falls back into the wort, if you can keep it above 18c or 20c would be better it will be fine. The last 2 I have done with S-04 have done the same thing, just keep an eye on the temperature. I left mine for 14 days & it is great.

I don't know if you have seen this, but all the specs are in here.

https://fermentis.com/en/product/safale-s-04/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NBillett09 said:

Temp was definitely stable at 19 and then at 20.

I have upped it to 22 now. Ill see what happens by tomorrow afternoon. If it hasn’t dropped SG at all, then perhaps a dash of sugar and a coopers yeast thereafter.

thanks @Oldblokeand @Classic Brewing Co

Fair enough, I took a SG reading & it was 1.053 & I didn't bother with another reading until I kegged it, the FG was 1.014.

• Like 1