Coopers Community

Fail thread (mistakes you’ve made 2021)

MitchBastard

3 hours ago, Oldbloke said:

If its no good after 5 months it's not going to improve. 

Edit: to sterilise I just put 2 l of water in fv with a splash or unscented white king. Wait 30minutes splashing it around to splash all areas 2 or 3 times during that time.

Rinse cold water then rinse boiling water. Done.

For years I just used boiling water.

"During dinner the missus is talking about stuff, while all I'm thinking about is why the beer tastes off.

I don't say anything as all she'd hear would be "blah blah blah"."

Sounds pretty normal. 😜

sorry, can't agree with that.

some time ago I had a coopers real ale. it was really bitter. I left it six months and it was drinkable.

In the meantime I'd taken a couple of bottles into work for a fellow brewer.

somehow they got left in the back of the  fridge, and forgotten.

a few months later someone asked what they were. we cracked em open and they were great.

I have drunk some of the offending 141, but the remainders are now in a box marked drink easter 23.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Graculus said:

to sterilise I just put 2 l of water in fv with a splash or unscented white king.

That is possibly the worst thing to do with home brew given the available commercial products available, i.e. Star San etc.

Using laundry products & cheap short cut methods result in foul tasting beer.

That's OK if you are happy with that but I can assure you the pros just don't do that. Why skimp on a few dollars when the general majority of home brewers don't buy their brew cleaning/sanitising equipment from the Supermarket.

IMO that is tight ar*** stuff that results in beer tasting like, well homebrew.

If you have never tried AG or kegging, you will not know what I mean.

Anyway enjoy.

Cheers.

8 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

That is possibly the worst thing to do with home brew given the available commercial products available, i.e. Star San etc.

That's OK if you are happy with that but I can assure you the pros just don't do that. Why skimp on a few dollars when the general majority of home brewers don't buy their brew cleaning/sanitising equipment from the Supermarket.

Anyway enjoy.

Cheers.

Um, oldbloke wrote that, but you've quoted me.

I'd only use bleach to clean really filthy bottles or at a last resort an FV that I think might have been used and got infected.

Otherwise it's Starsan all the way for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Every now and again a FV or bottle needs a good bleach or sodium perc soak depending on its storage/usage etc. A good rinse then normal sterilise and bobs you're uncle. People do what works for them I guess that's all that matters. I only just started using sodium perc it's an absolute gun for keg stains glad I found this forum.

Edited by Uhtred Of Beddanburg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Graculus said:

Um, oldbloke wrote that, but you've quoted me.

I'd only use bleach to clean really filthy bottles or at a last resort an FV that I think might have been used and got infected.

Otherwise it's Starsan all the way for me.

I was just talking from experience, no insults whatever intended, we are all on the same mission - to make good beer, so I have always found the best practice is to listen & learn from those who know what they are doing instead using old fashioned, cheapskate ways of methods to shortcut the brewing process.

We will always do what we want to do but use cheap, cost cutting methods will result in crap beer.

9 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Anyway enjoy.

Cheers.

May I suggest that the Coopers team disagree with you. They recommend the use of bleach.  Oh,  & small amounts are added daily to your tap drinking water in most Western countries including AU, commonly referred to as chlorine.  (Sodium hypochlorite)

They don't seem to mention the product your using.

It is unfortunate,  but there is a lot of BS repeated without thought or proper research on the internet.

https://www.diybeer.com/au/faqs/#FAQ_1_11

image.png

Edited by Oldbloke

1 hour ago, Oldbloke said:

A little more education.

Resized_Screenshot_20221218-065549_Samsung_Internet.thumb.jpeg.6efbaf5c0915f0d15114ca958e2195e4.jpeg

Agreed. I always use the bleach method as described but with the addition of a splash of white vinegar added after nearly filling with water. DO NOT MIX WITH UNDILUTED BEACH- fumes are highly toxic!

I rinse three times using a garden hose on full blast.

1 hour ago, Oldbloke said:

A little more education.

Resized_Screenshot_20221218-065549_Samsung_Internet.thumb.jpeg.6efbaf5c0915f0d15114ca958e2195e4.jpeg

That's all nice and good but I am pretty sure Coopers do not buy Napisan by the truckload to clean their brewing equipment or pump humungous amounts of bleach through their systems. 

Cooper's instructions are made for Joe Bloke to enable them to brew beer without investing big bucks in equipment. Cooper's instructions do not mention temperature-controlled environments or sophisticated brewing gear. They also mention to ferment at a temperature range, which makes most of us' hair in the back stand up. But that is ok considering the target audience. 

The instructions are as basic as they need to be to make beer. Plain and simple. However, as you know there is a difference between a basic k'n'k using a kilo of dextrose and a beer using the same kit, adding liquid malt, steeping some hops and maybe even some grain. Both make beer, just one is a lot better than the other.

When it comes to cleaning, I prefer pure sodium percarbonate over Napisan which also contains bleach, aromatics and whatnot.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

That's all nice and good but I am pretty sure Coopers do not buy Napisan by the truckload to clean their brewing equipment or pump humungous amounts of bleach through their systems. 

Cooper's instructions are made for Joe Bloke to enable them to brew beer without investing big bucks in equipment. Cooper's instructions do not mention temperature-controlled environments or sophisticated brewing gear. They also mention to ferment at a temperature range, which makes most of us' hair in the back stand up. But that is ok considering the target audience. 

The instructions are as basic as they need to be to make beer. Plain and simple. However, as you know there is a difference between a basic k'n'k using a kilo of dextrose and a beer using the same kit, adding liquid malt, steeping some hops and maybe even some grain. Both make beer, just one is a lot better than the other.

When it comes to cleaning, I prefer pure sodium percarbonate over Napisan which also contains bleach, aromatics and whatnot.

Agreed.

https://www.kegland.com.au/phosphoric-acid-blend-sanitiser-500ml-starsan.html

@Oldbloke you do what works for you.  Yes the kraut is right about temperature instructions etc being basic for beginners. I think the fact that they say to rinse it well then continue to sanitise says it all. They know there are different methods and are trying to make it easy for beginners and assume everyone would have a bottle of bleach at home. It doesn't mean people have to stop using this method if it works for them. 

I can also imagine when comments we're made thinking that their way was a superior way to do it compared to a peasant. Meanwhile another thread was made asking for fast and easy ways to help with a problem 🤔 Yes efficient was used to describe. Would others read it as cheap and crap? Taking a shortcut? Or just a different way to do it?

How other people think that this would make crap beer is beyond me a different way to do it. People using these methods probably quite enjoy the beer they make. They probably also have had less infections or trouble than people who use the (superior) methods.

Edited by Uhtred Of Beddanburg
  • Like 2

Well, all I'm saying is it works and does not ruin the beer. Chlorine is used in many industries to sterilise equipment. So are other substances. (alcohol for example)

There is more than one way to skin a cat. 

Just because it isn't normally used in the beer industry means buggerall. 

Coopers recommends it for a few reasons I'd suggest:

It works.

It's easy.

It's convenient.

It's cheap.

It's available. 

Horses for courses. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

They done it by crapping on the way old bloke does it. They then went as far to try to compare it to a commercial brewery which is completely different. Unless had worked in one they also would not know.

Read in between the lines I can almost imagine AK with his nose pointed in the air as he wrote it.

Hey mate, AK is a very experienced, talented brewer & a good bloke, I wouldn't imagine too many on this forum would disagree.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Hey mate, AK is a very experienced, talented brewer & a good bloke, I wouldn't imagine too many on this forum would disagree.

Thats all good and well but the way he tried to say old blokes methods were wrong or not the best despite him quoting coopers themselves was rude. 

Others may think he was just being helpful the way I read it and old bloke himself was a different way. By trying to push aside the Coopers quotes and make fun of the fact that a commercial brewery would not do this or that was having a dig.

For a start they would be using mainly SS equipment so yes it would be different.  Of course they would not buy nappysan by the truckload it was all having a dig. If it was not fair enough old bloke himself though so he messaged me felt like a group attack by you both after you said it might make crap beer. 

Ill stand aside now I'm not here to argue but the way I read it was yes quoting better ways but having a dig at him also.

22 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

They done it by crapping on the way old bloke does it.

UOB, go back and reread AK's post. It's not crapping on anyone. It's an opinion. It comes from his personal experience which he's sharing with the forum which he's completely entitled to do, just as you are.

Stop with the "he's crapping on people" nonsense - nobody has done anything of the sort. OBloke expressed his opinion just as others have - nothing more nothing less. 

Read in between the lines I can almost imagine AK with his nose pointed in the air as he wrote it.

You've got some imagination going on UOB.

1 minute ago, Mickep said:

UOB, go back and reread AK's post. It's not crapping on anyone. It's an opinion. It comes from his personal experience which he's sharing with the forum which he's completely entitled to do, just as you are.

Stop with the "he's crapping on people" nonsense - nobody has done anything of the sort. OBloke expressed his opinion just as others have - nothing more nothing less. 

You've got some imagination going on UOB.

Fair enough maby old bloke and myself read it wrong but that was the way it was taken by him also read my last response to classic. 

Yes, I was a bit pissed by the initial comment saying it would make "crap" beer. (I dont) It did come across that I was being talked down to.

BUT:

Opinions on what is best ignored. I think its now clear that persons statement was not correct. Like it or not coopers recommend that chlorine bleach be used.   

I'm happy to and will continue to do it with bleach for the reasons i set out earlier. 

If some wish to pay extra for some imagined advantage let them.

I think I got the last laugh and someone here looks a bit silly.

It's always a good idea to pause & think for a moment before hitting the "post," button.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thought I'd try doing a version of the Woolies "LARGER" with mango and passion fruit. After 12 days fermenting and FG reached after about 6 I thought it wasn't clearing up very well. Then I looked through the lid. It actually smelt OK but the last time I bottled an OK smelling beer with floaties it messed around with my digestive system. The previous one tasted fine but I didn't want to put up with all the flatulence etc again, so this one is down the drain now.

I've got a Coopers Draught fermenting at day 5 using harvested CCA yeast. I hope nothing goes wrong with that one because beer stocks are getting a little low after Christmas. I've got 30 tallies of stout in reserve but they're only 16 days old and I want to save them for the cooler months.

IMG20221227071819.jpg

IMG20221227071757.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

1 hour ago, Malter White said:

Thought I'd try doing a version of the Woolies "LARGER" with mango and passion fruit. After 12 days fermenting and FG reached after about 6 I thought it wasn't clearing up very well. Then I looked through the lid. It actually smelt OK but the last time I bottled an OK smelling beer with floaties it messed around with my digestive system. The previous one tasted fine but I didn't want to put up with all the flatulence etc again, so this one is down the drain now.

I've got a Coopers Draught fermenting at day 5 using harvested CCA yeast. I hope nothing goes wrong with that one because beer stocks are getting a little low after Christmas. I've got 30 tallies of stout in reserve but they're only 16 days old and I want to save them for the cooler months.

IMG20221227071819.jpg

IMG20221227071757.jpg

That's a shame mate, I was thinking of doing this recipe myself after seeing it on poor choices homebrew youtube channel. I think he got it from the woolies larger appreciation thread on FB? What was your recipe?

1 minute ago, Cheap Charlie said:

That's a shame mate, I was thinking of doing this recipe myself after seeing it on poor choices homebrew youtube channel. I think he got it from the woolies larger appreciation thread on FB? What was your recipe?

Hi Charlie.
I improvised a bit and I think that's where I went wrong. Instead of adding the mango and passionfruit in a hop sock later in the ferment I decided to add them at mixing. I boiled and mashed them up with some hops and then strained the "tea" in to the wort. Some of the chunks sloshed over the strainer too, I was a bit careless.
I did two tins of WW "Larger" + 250 dex + the mango/pass/PoR hops tea + the 2 kit yeasts and fermented at 20C. I tasted it around day 10 and it tasted pretty good but as I mentioned above I didn't want to go through the tummy rumbles again so I ditched it.
My inspiration was from the same FB page but my method obviously failed. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Malter White said:

Hi Charlie.
I improvised a bit and I think that's where I went wrong. Instead of adding the mango and passionfruit in a hop sock later in the ferment I decided to add them at mixing. I boiled and mashed them up with some hops and then strained the "tea" in to the wort. Some of the chunks sloshed over the strainer too, I was a bit careless.
I did two tins of WW "Larger" + 250 dex + the mango/pass/PoR hops tea + the 2 kit yeasts and fermented at 20C. I tasted it around day 10 and it tasted pretty good but as I mentioned above I didn't want to go through the tummy rumbles again so I ditched it.
My inspiration was from the same FB page but my method obviously failed. 

A mate of mine also buys the Woolies brand Larger & he called around with a couple of bottles for Xmas, he knows I am not big on that stuff, so I poured a half glass just to please him, I could hardly finish it, it was disgusting 😬 When he finished his I poured him a schooner out of the tap & couldn't believe the difference & the head retention etc.

I know I sound like I am condemning W/Larger but it's available for anyone that wants it.

I have never added any fruit either but that doesn't mean it doesn't work.

I will always stick with Coopers & some of the other well-known brands.

44 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

A mate of mine also buys the Woolies brand Larger & he called around with a couple of bottles for Xmas, he knows I am not big on that stuff, so I poured a half glass just to please him, I could hardly finish it, it was disgusting 😬 When he finished his I poured him a schooner out of the tap & couldn't believe the difference & the head retention etc.

I know I sound like I am condemning W/Larger but it's available for anyone that wants it.

I have never added any fruit either but that doesn't mean it doesn't work.

I will always stick with Coopers & some of the other well-known brands.

Totally agree there, brewed a woolies larger and a kilo of homebrand sugar - bloody terrible! But I have done one pimped with galaxy and LDME and used CCA yeast - turned out not too bad with barely detectable kit twang. Bugger all body and flavour, but was looking for a megaswill style. I figured I was done with the low end kits, but I went and bought a couple of cans of woolies larger last week when on special for $8.80. 🙄 Not sure what I will do with them yet, oh well 😂

• Haha 1