Coopers Community

Fail thread (mistakes you’ve made 2021)

MitchBastard

4 hours ago, MUZZY said:

My kegging journey has hit another trough and I must say the peaks haven't been that high either.
In the name of hygiene I disassembled and cleaned the components of the PCO38 tap head for my plastic keg system.
Today I discovered my kegs were soft ie. no pressure in them. It appears I didn't re-seat the PRV on one keg correctly and it's emptied the contents of the CO2 tank.
It's only a 2.5kg tank and I had been using it for a few months now. I don't know how much gas was left in it but there's none now. I'm hoping it was close to empty anyway. Fortunately I have a second tank and this is now connected. Tomorrow I get to find out how much refills are. 😞 

Sorry to hear that mate! For this reason I turn my gas off when not in use so if I get a leak I just end up with a flat keg which I haven’t had touch wood. Even when carbing I give it a burst starting at 40psi turn the gas off then when the gas absorbs into the beer I turn it on again and slowly adjust it down with each burst until I get to my required carbonation. It also stops over carbonation. Even when serving i don’t turn it on until it gets a bit slow although you need to do it more regularly when keg is new as there is less head space.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MUZZY said:

@RDT2 Thanks mate. Yeah I had a fresh keg carbing up so left it on. I didn't realise a big burst of gas and then switching off would do as you explained. I'll give that a go in future.

I am for the moment leaving the gas on & so far no issues but as I dive deeper into it I am wondering whether it is actually OK.

I have noticed that the 2 kegs I have in service ATM both are pouring heavy & it is a 2 step pour leaving it to settle on the drip tray & top up but an enjoyable drink all the same.

I am wondering if my actual gas usage is much higher by leaving it turned on ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I am for the moment leaving the gas on & so far no issues but as I dive deeper into it I am wondering whether it is actually OK.

I have noticed that the 2 kegs I have in service ATM both are pouring heavy & it is a 2 step pour leaving it to settle on the drip tray & top up but an enjoyable drink all the same.

I am wondering if my actual gas usage is much higher by leaving it turned on ?

I guess it's possible you're over carbonating but I'm too inexperienced to say for sure. One tip I could give to combat that is to drink faster, Phil. 
No need to thank me. I'm here to help.🍻

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

I guess it's possible you're over carbonating but I'm too inexperienced to say for sure. One tip I could give to combat that is to drink faster, Phil. 
No need to thank me. I'm here to help.🍻

OK thanks for the tip - I never thought of that 🤔 my concern is I have a German Kolsch in one keg & a AUS Pale Ale in the other, the first one had a head start but they just keep giving but I need to keg 2 new beers.

So I will try your method this arvo if I get thirsty & hopefully I can fixt the problem. 🍻

• Like 2

13 hours ago, MUZZY said:

My kegging journey has hit another trough and I must say the peaks haven't been that high either.
In the name of hygiene I disassembled and cleaned the components of the PCO38 tap head for my plastic keg system.
Today I discovered my kegs were soft ie. no pressure in them. It appears I didn't re-seat the PRV on one keg correctly and it's emptied the contents of the CO2 tank.
It's only a 2.5kg tank and I had been using it for a few months now. I don't know how much gas was left in it but there's none now. I'm hoping it was close to empty anyway. Fortunately I have a second tank and this is now connected. Tomorrow I get to find out how much refills are. 😞 

And that is why we have spares 🙂 I emptied a full 2.6kg bottle in a few hours due to a poorly connected duotight connector. Never fun. I usually pay $35 for a small bottle refill. Not the cheapest but if I drive to the other side of town, where it is cheaper, I spend 15 bucks on tolls alone, so I don't complain. The guys are great. First time I rocked up with my 6kg bottle, they just gave me a brand new full one. 👍

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

And that is why we have spares 🙂 I emptied a full 2.6kg bottle in a few hours due to a poorly connected duotight connector. Never fun. I usually pay $35 for a small bottle refill. Not the cheapest but if I drive to the other side of town, where it is cheaper, I spend 15 bucks on tolls alone, so I don't complain. The guys are great. First time I rocked up with my 6kg bottle, they just gave me a brand new full one. 👍

I'll most likely go local too but in little ol' Adelaide we don't have the joy of paying tolls either, so if the local guy is too steep I can always go to one of the places Phil mentioned as part of my work commute. They're not much of a detour for me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MUZZY said:

I'll most likely go local too but in little ol' Adelaide we don't have the joy of paying tolls either, so if the local guy is too steep I can always go to one of the places Phil mentioned as part of my work commute. They're not much of a detour for me.

Muzza, Amanda from Beer Belly just sent me an email, the prices are filling your own bottle;

2.6kg  $29.00

6kg     $49.90

I have done a lot of research & that is the cheapest in Adelaide,

Brew Craft want $40 for the 2.6kg & that is swap only, Phil from Countyry Brewer will fill your 2.6kg for $40.

Guess where I will be going. 

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, interceptor said:

I leave my gas on the whole time after carbing, no issues here... well, not with the beer anyway

As I'm using smaller, 8l kegs I find I need to leave the gas on most of the time. If I don't, the next keg won't be carbed enough before the previous one is drank. However, if I know I'm not going to drink for a day or two (unlikely) I'll turn it off to prevent over carbonating and reduce the chance of another unplanned empty tank.

FYI - It's Muzzy here. I'm one of the last people in the world to watch Breaking Bad. Just started streaming it this morning and thought Walter has a good look. Haha. Figured I should have some fun with my profile pic and change my pseudonym.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

58 minutes ago, Malter White said:

As I'm using smaller, 8l kegs I find I need to leave the gas on most of the time. If I don't, the next keg won't be carbed enough before the previous one is drank. However, if I know I'm not going to drink for a day or two (unlikely) I'll turn it off to prevent over carbonating and reduce the chance of another unplanned empty tank.

FYI - It's Muzzy here. I'm one of the last people in the world to watch Breaking Bad. Just started streaming it this morning and thought Walter has a good look. Haha. Figured I should have some fun with my profile pic and change my pseudonym.

NO.... Brink back Con the Fruitier

All good, you seem to be getting Younger

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Hey Muzza, you need to get out more, you must be changing your avatar every coupla days 🤣

I like being home, Phil, but it's just coincidental I've changed the avatar a couple of times recently. I thought Malter White was a clever name for this particular forum and I could cash in on a few easy laughs because I'm cookin' up home brew.

• Haha 7

22 minutes ago, Malter White said:

I like being home, Phil, but it's just coincidental I've changed the avatar a couple of times recently. I thought Malter White was a clever name for this particular forum and I could cash in on a few easy laughs because I'm cookin' up home brew.

All good Muzzman, keep up the brewing & enjoy. 🍻

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jennyss said:

How can I change the picture for my Coopers Community profile please? I want to get with it!

Top right hand corner of the page, click your user name and select profile from the drop down. Then on your profile page, you can change your profile and background pictures.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now I do not know what it is but every time since I started making my own yeast starters I have always forgotten to strain the yeast liquid as I tip it out of the Erlenmeyer into the FV and hence my magnetic stir bar ends up in the FV.  Then I have to fish it out with sanitised tongs etc. or wait until the batch is kegged and then remember to retrieve it before cleaning out the FV. 

I have even put masking tape reminders on the flasks to stop me from the above silly process but I did it again with the big Kegmenter and my stir bar is now well and truly welled up somewhere in the bottom of 44 L of wort.

Now I have masking tape reminders on my FV's for gods sake.  Promise to give myself an uppercut next time I do this to myself. 🥊

Lucky I have a few stir bars otherwise big trouble in the brewery. 

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, iBooz2 said:

Now I do not know what it is but every time since I started making my own yeast starters I have always forgotten to strain the yeast liquid as I tip it out of the Erlenmeyer into the FV and hence my magnetic stir bar ends up in the FV.  Then I have to fish it out with sanitised tongs etc. or wait until the batch is kegged and then remember to retrieve it before cleaning out the FV. 

I have even put masking tape reminders on the flasks to stop me from the above silly process but I did it again with the big Kegmenter and my stir bar is now well and truly welled up somewhere in the bottom of 44 L of wort.

Now I have masking tape reminders on my FV's for gods sake.  Promise to give myself an uppercut next time I do this to myself. 🥊

Lucky I have a few stir bars otherwise big trouble in the brewery. 

I did the same recently and then used the yeast cake another two times and hence completely forgot about the stir bar. Luckily it went clank when I tipped it into the sink otherwise I would of forgotten and lost it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1