Coopers Community

Fail thread (mistakes you’ve made 2021)

MitchBastard

On 10/8/2021 at 8:14 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

I got this one from Kegland 35L BrewZilla Gen 3.1 - Boiler False Bottom (Grainfather Compatible) $18.95.  It fits the 19 litre Big W pot reasonably well.

I got myself this one. $11.95 on ebay. SS but it's ebay so hopefully it's decent quality.Given I only do partials the legs may be too high so I'm thinking remove them and turn it upside down should do the trick.

Trivet.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Journeyman said:

I got myself this one. $11.95 on ebay. SS but it's ebay so hopefully it's decent quality.Given I only do partials the legs may be too high so I'm thinking remove them and turn it upside down should do the trick.

Trivet.jpg

i'm actually thinking those holes are going to be way to big  and will allow hop and grain under the false bottom regardless which way you have it

i will be interested in how you go with this 

1 hour ago, ozdevil said:

i'm actually thinking those holes are going to be way to big  and will allow hop and grain under the false bottom regardless which way you have it

Pretty sure that @Journeyman is going to use it to stop nylon paint strainer (mash) bags from touching the bottom of the pot so if need be he can give the mash a bit of heat to keep it up to temperature without melting the bag.  I probably need some commas in that sentence, but not sure where to put them. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Pretty sure that @Journeyman is going to use it to stop nylon paint strainer (mash) bags from touching the bottom of the pot so if need be he can give the mash a bit of heat to keep it up to temperature without melting the bag.  I probably need some commas in that sentence, but not sure where to put them. 

fair enough, i do remember  journeyman saying something like that..  i didnt think of that   thought was just going to use as a  pure false bottom

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ozdevil said:

😄 What Shamus said. I burned through a paint bag using the induction plate to do the warm up. It's faster than using the sous vide stick to bring the water up from ambient. 2400W versus 1000W.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Popo said:

I put the spunding valve on the dip tube post of the fermenter. A nice pool of beer on the bottom of the chest freezer.

It's one of the KegLand ones with built in guage. Anyone ever pulled one of these apart to clean? 

I recently did the opposite: Connected a beer transfer line to the gas post of the pressure FV.  Opened the outlet end of the transfer line to rinse out the sanitiser in the line with the first squirt of beer.  By the time I figured out why air was coming out the line, I had lost all the precious CO2 pressure in the FV.  Much less mess than your case though.

Sorry I cannot help with the cleaning question.

11 hours ago, Popo said:

I put the spunding valve on the dip tube post of the fermenter. A nice pool of beer on the bottom of the chest freezer.

It's one of the KegLand ones with built in guage. Anyone ever pulled one of these apart to clean? 

Yes @Popo I have also made the same mistake in the past, but my FV was in an upright fridge and it made quite the mess in the fridge and also on the floor! One of those mistakes that you ever make once.

My spunding valve was one of the blow tie units and I managed to disassemble the spunding valve and clean it OK. My gauge was up higher than the spunding valve so no problem with it.

Maybe not a total fail but a cursed batch I suppose. It started when I milled 2.5kg of Vienna malt, instead of Pale. After some deliberation, I decided to go forward with the plan anyway. So all seems normal, until I missed the 45 minute mark and added the hops at 40 minutes. Oh well, what is next? Things come in 3s as they say and sure enough, I open my yeast container to get the 2 packs of W34/70 out, just to realise I only have one, so I added a pack of S-189. What a mission this was. Oh well, it is an experiment and the main thing was to see if I can get those flavours I want from it. It'll be a bit sweeter, maltier and darker but hopefully still gives me an idea. Then I'll see if I will pursue the path or abandon it. 

• Like 2

On 11/15/2021 at 7:49 AM, Aussiekraut said:

Maybe not a total fail but a cursed batch I suppose. It started when I milled 2.5kg of Vienna malt, instead of Pale. 

@Aussiekraut could you not just put the milled Vienna aside in an air tight container and used some of it from there in subsequent recipes until it was all used up?  I have done your trick on a couple of occasions (due to change of mind of recipe half way through milling) and have just stored the incorrect milled grains and had no apparent issues using it much later.

15 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

@Aussiekraut could you not just put the milled Vienna aside in an air tight container and used some of it from there in subsequent recipes until it was all used up?  I have done your trick on a couple of occasions (due to change of mind of recipe half way through milling) and have just stored the incorrect milled grains and had no apparent issues using it much later.

The grains all go into the same bucket and there was already some Pilsener malt in there, so it would have been impossible to separate. I have no idea what possessed me picking up the Vienna container instead of the big 35l bucket with the pale. 

• 2 weeks later...

Last night unplugged the brew fridge to cook the dim sims for tea and didn't put the fridge plug back in until home from work this arvo. Lucky was only brewing an ale and lucky only reached 24 before i plugged it back in. Second day of fermentation so quite active minus the krausen guessing because used 2 kit yeast and not working as hard. So sitting on 21 now so didn't shock it trying cool it too fast.

Edited by jamiek86

8 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

It has rendered the bottle useless but fortunately no glass in my drink, just dropped on the sink. 😂

That's a shame.  Not fun to lose a Grolsch bottle.  I lost a couple back in the day when I tried pasteurising some brews to reduce the methane effect.  I gave that up as a stupid idea.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

That's a shame.  Not fun to lose a Grolsch bottle.  I lost a couple back in the day when I tried pasteurising some brews to reduce the methane effect.  I gave that up as a stupid idea.  

Yes Shamus, you may have noticed this was one of the original 500ml slightly shorter & thicker with a different design on the bottle.

I had a box of 12. Ironically the very next one I opened blew the swing-clip assembly clean off, I can fix it though.

The newer 450ml bottles are a little thinner with different artwork. I may have to cut back on the priming sugar for Grolsch bottles, I have always used one full Brigalow sugar scoop full & enjoyed a nice pop & great head.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yes Shamus, you may have noticed this was one of the original 500ml slightly shorter & thicker with a different design on the bottle.

I had a box of 12. Ironically the very next one I opened blew the swing-clip assembly clean off, I can fix it though.

The newer 450ml bottles are a little thinner with different artwork. I may have to cut back on the priming sugar for Grolsch bottles, I have always used one full Brigalow sugar scoop full & enjoyed a nice pop & great head.

Do you have any idea how many grams of sugar is in a scoop, Phil? I've just filled a 2 litre growler with same style lid for the first time. I used 4 CSR sugar cubes to prime it. Equates to 9g per litre. I'm hoping it's not too much.

Hi Muzzy,

As the photo suggests 1 x full scoop sugar weighs 6grams, I did 3 different tests are they only varied by 0.01-0.02grams on the

3 Chins Brewing Digital Scale c/- Hoppy 😀  The Brigalow sugar scoop shown shows the full measure on the right which is what I use for all my brew bottles, Coopers 750ml, PET 740/750ml/Weihenstephaner 500ml/Grolsch 450ml.

This is the first time this has ever happened however the Grolsch bottle in the above photo was the older style was 500gms, it probably is due to the age of them despite having replacing the seals a couple of times.

My opinion on the amount of sugar you used may be getting close to the red line but it should be OK, keep us posted. 💣

Cheers 😉

20211204_065008.thumb.jpg.a4cc24537cddcc936aed7ead3e2ee669.jpg

• Like 1

a brewing day was going so smooth   mash  in and out  went great    , sparging  great flow
boil  got  a bit iffy but was a fizzle   really   but went smooth

come the end of boil  thats when pooppy hit the fan.    yelled out to the  good  devil mrs ozdevil turn the hose on

next minute turn it off   the dam thing has broken.. 

next 20-30minutes  was trying to fix the blow out on the  counter pressure chiller    

finally after faffing about no harm really done as it was cool down mode any getting ready for yeast mode

1st brew back and it starting to stress me might have to go to extract brewing  lot less stress i reckon

at the end of the day beer was made

and is pressure fermenting around 10 psi and with a 4 day turn around and if  i force carb the beer i might have a keg for this sunday for my golf buddies

but knowingf me i'll naturally slow carb  it

but thats my fail  counter pressure chiller  having a hissy fit

10 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I don't have those problems old fella, no stress, things go smooth but I am not knocking AG at all.

I maybe will get there one day too.

arrgh its all good  a few expletives and teeth grinding and back into it mate..

its not going to effect the beer that much..

mistakes happen both sides my friend

22 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

but thats my fail  counter pressure chiller  having a hissy fit

Sorry to hear of those troubles OD, just sitting here reading this as I slurp down some of your recipe OD USPA.  I know I said I would save it but I just could not help myself and had to have a few.  Hope that make you feel better ha ha.😆

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Sorry to hear of those troubles OD, just sitting here reading this as I slurp down some of your recipe OD USPA.  I know I said I would save it but I just could not help myself and had to have a few.  Hope that make you feel better ha ha.😆

nope becuase i didnt get a drop lol  i still dream of that beer lol

all good  beer will be drinkable at the end   

life moves on 

Doesn't look like much in pic but stepped on plug for older brew fridge with motor that over heats when too warm. It bent and made a horrid noise I was able to pop the metal parts back in but scared to try and use. Either come out and damage inkbird while plugged in or cause fire. Any Electricians? re wire another plug cheaply?

20211211_132406.jpg

5 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

Doesn't look like much in pic but stepped on plug for older brew fridge with motor that over heats when too warm. It bent and made a horrid noise I was able to pop the metal parts back in but scared to try and use. Either come out and damage inkbird while plugged in or cause fire. Any Electricians? re wire another plug cheaply?

20211211_132406.jpg

Yeah mate. Cut off the plug and buy a new one at bunnings. Easy to wire up yourself. Just need a screwdriver and a Stanley knife to pare back the wires. Match the colours and your done.