Coopers Community

Fail thread (mistakes you’ve made 2021)

MitchBastard

2 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

I must have been good because the owners kept ringing me to come back to visit MM over the years and whats more they paid me cash for my services.

So that is my claim to local fame and folklore ha ha.  😇  Probably the only bloke who has been paid to go and visit a place like this.  They turned out to be a good customer and recommended me to other businesses too.

Definitely a claim to fame! I am sure all the Ladies want to pay you for your services 😆

On 7/14/2021 at 9:57 AM, CLASSIC said:

Get one of these @MUZZY they are excellent, the Coopers one does the job but these have more info including ABV.

hydrometer-800x800.png

Unfortunately the ABV on those is only accurate if the FG is 0.988 or so, for example 8% on it roughly lines up with 1.050 on the SG scale, which in beer would be somewhere around 5-5.5%. They are a bloody awesome hydrometer though. I think that potential ABV scale is more directed at wine. 

They say we should learn from our mistakes. Old mate, Muzz, hasn't. I just made a 23 litre K&K of Pale Ale, BE3, cold tea of Summer hops and CCA yeast. Due to our recent lockdown, which has now been lifted after 7 days, I still haven't got myself a new hydrometer, so I have no SG reading. No big deal because K&K is fairly consistent anyway.

My stupid mistake, which I've done before but gotten away with it, is pitching the yeast before checking the temperature. I got away with it once before because my wort luckily was at 21C. Today being colder, I've pitched at 18C. I'm hoping this won't be too big an issue but it's a worry for me personally because I'm becoming a bit blase' with my processes.

7 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

My stupid mistake, which I've done before but gotten away with it, is pitching the yeast before checking the temperature. I got away with it once before because my wort luckily was at 21C. Today being colder, I've pitched at 18C. I'm hoping this won't be too big an issue but it's a worry for me personally because I'm becoming a bit blase' with my processes.

Pretty sure the CCA is rugged enough to handle a small level of chill. 😄 It will fire up and warm the brew a bit anyway and also, 18° is pretty normal for our ferments unless it's a lager - i.e. if 18° was an issue someone else would have had a problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

Pretty sure the CCA is rugged enough to handle a small level of chill. 😄 It will fire up and warm the brew a bit anyway and also, 18° is pretty normal for our ferments unless it's a lager - i.e. if 18° was an issue someone else would have had a problem.

I normally try to pitch around 24 degrees, with some Ales a bit lower. haven't had any issues.

One of my tight bottom mates made a brew recently & totally forgot to put any yeast in 🤣 

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

I normally try to pitch around 24 degrees, with some Ales a bit lower. haven't had any issues.

Most of us do, but also most of us have the fridge set at 18° so we're fighting the yeast process. I've been considering using the programming on my ITC-310T to set a 3 day 22° then bring it down to 18° for the next few days just to see what effect it might have.

2 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

Most of us do, but also most of us have the fridge set at 18° so we're fighting the yeast process. I've been considering using the programming on my ITC-310T to set a 3 day 22° then bring it down to 18° for the next few days just to see what effect it might have.

I have the MJ STC-1000 & I believe you can do similar with it but I need to study the book. As I now have another brew fridge & the weather will slowly get warmer I will be firing it up.

I am going to by the wifi Inkbird as well for summer.

Cheers.

1 hour ago, Graubart said:

18 is perfect I would leave it at that Muzzler... 

So I've read but I get a bit impatient at 18C. I've done 18C a few times and it extended the fermentation time by a few days but I didn't really detect much difference in taste. I don't think I have a very refined palate. 21C is my usual temp for ales and that's what I've set this one at.

Interestingly it's looking a bit weird at the moment. Never seen cold break like this before. Looks like someone put a crepe in the wort. 🤣

IMG20210729143244.jpg

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Interestingly it's looking a bit weird at the moment. Never seen cold break like this before. Looks like someone put a crepe in the wort. 🤣

Hey Muzzy, I am thinking one of Graubster's HOP Beast Monster's has found it's way to your place, you may have to call a priest. 🤣

I do admit I have seen a few curly ones but not like that.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MUZZY said:

@Otto Von Blotto That's encouraging to know. I'm feeling less anxious now. 

I try to do it every batch but sometimes I forget to put the cube in the fridge. A few ales I've actually started at around 13 because I'd chill the cube for about 12 hours. They still get going quickly enough and taste great. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MUZZY said:

They say we should learn from our mistakes. Old mate, Muzz, hasn't. I just made a 23 litre K&K of Pale Ale, BE3, cold tea of Summer hops and CCA yeast. Due to our recent lockdown, which has now been lifted after 7 days, I still haven't got myself a new hydrometer, so I have no SG reading. No big deal because K&K is fairly consistent anyway.

This is not a mistake Mr Muzz and it does not deserve to be on this fail thread.  Old Mate Muzz has just taken his first step to becoming a five star Michelin brewer (well 5 star Coopers anyway).

IMO this CCA yeast needs to be pitched low and 17 C is the pitch target.  You have done well and I hope you kept it at about that for the next couple of days then slowly bumped it up to 22 C.

Pitch low, ferment slow.  A rushed ferment usually only produces piss and we all want nice flavorsome beer instead.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, MUZZY said:

So I've read but I get a bit impatient at 18C. I've done 18C a few times and it extended the fermentation time by a few days but I didn't really detect much difference in taste. I don't think I have a very refined palate. 21C is my usual temp for ales and that's what I've set this one at.

IMG20210729143244.jpg

A day later, order has been restored.

IMG20210730080637.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

ok kegging day for the eclipse pale ale and a drama that I wish never happened. Keg and transfer hose all sanitised and filled got keg inside to purge at keggerator thought lid doesn't look right. released gas and opened lid to fix keg lid seal and it fell off into the beer. Has just sanitised my hand so thought it might be floating near top and no it wasn't. sanitised up to my elbow and fished around in keg no nothing any further I wouldn't be getting my arm out. 

Grabbed and sanitised lid from English bitter  keg with only a litre left in it and put it on pale ale keg. Now I just hope my nice brewed and cold crashed pale ale doesn't get infected in keg after trying to fish out lid seal might have to gas fast and try drink just in case. Also hope lid seal doesn't get sucked up tube while pouring a glass.

• Sad 3

41 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

ok kegging day for the eclipse pale ale and a drama that I wish never happened. Keg and transfer hose all sanitised and filled got keg inside to purge at keggerator thought lid doesn't look right. released gas and opened lid to fix keg lid seal and it fell off into the beer. Has just sanitised my hand so thought it might be floating near top and no it wasn't. sanitised up to my elbow and fished around in keg no nothing any further I wouldn't be getting my arm out. 

Grabbed and sanitised lid from English bitter  keg with only a litre left in it and put it on pale ale keg. Now I just hope my nice brewed and cold crashed pale ale doesn't get infected in keg after trying to fish out lid seal might have to gas fast and try drink just in case. Also hope lid seal doesn't get sucked up tube while pouring a glass.

Well I reckon that beer will certainly put hairs on your chest ha ha.🤣

I shouldn't laugh as this happened to me, O ring stuck to inside top of the keg and when I removed the lid to grab it bloody thing dropped in.  Luckily I had some SS mig welding wire handy and sanitised a length of that after I made a hook on the end then fished it out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iBooz2 said:

Well I reckon that beer will certainly put hairs on your chest ha ha.🤣

I shouldn't laugh as this happened to me, O ring stuck to inside top of the keg and when I removed the lid to grab it bloody thing dropped in.  Luckily I had some SS mig welding wire handy and sanitised a length of that after I made a hook on the end then fished it out.

yes its pain I haven't yet got anything like that rdy but after a good gas ill try sanitise and cut long coat hanger or something and sanitise to try get it out. just worried about my arm oils and wild yeast etc but thinking less likely after fermented and at 2 degrees but still bit worried 

10 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

yes its pain I haven't yet got anything like that rdy but after a good gas ill try sanitise and cut long coat hanger or something and sanitise to try get it out. just worried about my arm oils and wild yeast etc but thinking less likely after fermented and at 2 degrees but still bit worried 

Do you have a metal fabricator in town?  I am sure they would give you a metre of SS mig wire for a couple of $.

3 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Do you have a metal fabricator in town?  I am sure they would give you a metre of SS mig wire for a couple of $.

I could probably find something to do the job somewhere I've been that busy today ill try the coat-hanger after first taste in day or 2 when carbed enough for a test thinking that it was sanitised and food grade. If I'm lucky might even get keg empty then fish it out without it going bad.

• 5 weeks later...

Certainly not a disastrous fail, but a fail none the less.

Using the free CO2 from my current brew to purge the sanitiser from a recently cleaned keg full of said sanitiser, and leave the keg full of CO2.  Purging the 19 litres of sanitiser into a cube for future reuse.  Forgot to check and turn off the tap on the cube.  It was still open from when I filled the same keg a week or so ago.  Now I have a nicely sanitised garage floor.

IMG_2566.JPG.11f942ca7f5dc414a30daa52041ea5f9.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Forgot to check and turn off the tap on the cube.  It was still open from when I filled the same keg a week or so ago.  Now I have a nicely sanitised garage floor.

You can't do that because that cube tap left open thing is my trick.🤣

Edited by iBooz2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Certainly not a disastrous fail, but a fail none the less.

Using the free CO2 from my current brew to purge the sanitiser from a recently cleaned keg full of said sanitiser, and leave the keg full of CO2.  Purging the 19 litres of sanitiser into a cube for future reuse.  Forgot to check and turn off the tap on the cube.  It was still open from when I filled the same keg a week or so ago.  Now I have a nicely sanitised garage floor.

IMG_2566.JPG.11f942ca7f5dc414a30daa52041ea5f9.JPG

Could of been worse could of been 🍺 😳

• Haha 2

I've got two fails..

Firstly, I've got my brother in law into homebrew and his first brew is a lager. We had a couple last night while shooting fireworks and after pouring my last beer I must have put the Pluto gun in a bad spot in the Keezer and the lid must have made it pull the trigger when closed.

When he went to get a beer this arvo it looked like this - both keg and gas (was a full one) empty.

received_394584808762437.jpeg

• Sad 2

Second fail..

I got my gas bottle filled up today and got home, put the regulator on, put pressure on, and walked away.

Came back about an hour later to pour a drink and found this - gas bottle also empty again!

Not sure what went wrong. I even sprayed it at connection's to make sure no leaks when I did it up.

(On my third P of S cheap regulator. Anyone have a recommendation?)

20210830_194812.jpg

• Sad 2