Coopers Community

Fail thread (mistakes you’ve made 2021)

MitchBastard

4 hours ago, Malter White said:

Thought I'd try doing a version of the Woolies "LARGER" with mango and passion fruit. After 12 days fermenting and FG reached after about 6 I thought it wasn't clearing up very well. Then I looked through the lid. It actually smelt OK but the last time I bottled an OK smelling beer with floaties it messed around with my digestive system. The previous one tasted fine but I didn't want to put up with all the flatulence etc again, so this one is down the drain now.

I've got a Coopers Draught fermenting at day 5 using harvested CCA yeast. I hope nothing goes wrong with that one because beer stocks are getting a little low after Christmas. I've got 30 tallies of stout in reserve but they're only 16 days old and I want to save them for the cooler months.

IMG20221227071819.jpg

IMG20221227071757.jpg

NOOOOOOO!!!!

It looks perfectly fine to me Malter.  But given its precarious position on the sink, I guess it is tipped by now.  I would rather bottle/keg and if there are issues on drinking it, tip it then.  I have only ever tipped one brew and it was after it was bottled.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

NOOOOOOO!!!!

It looks perfectly fine to me Malter.  But given its precarious position on the sink, I guess it is tipped by now.  I would rather bottle/keg and if there are issues on drinking it, tip it then.  I have only ever tipped one brew and it was after it was bottled.

I agree. Looked fine to me.

I had a Mangrove Jack's one the other week with far more floaties.

I've taken a  look at that Woolies Larger facebook page.

What I don't understand is they use all cheap stuff & then use a good yeast.

I just don't get it!

Edited by Graculus
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Graculus said:

I just don't get it!

I never have, why bother, it's like buying home brand from supermarkets, ever tasted their coffee/tomato paste etc, so why waste a good yeast?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cheap Charlie said:

Totally agree there, brewed a woolies larger and a kilo of homebrand sugar - bloody terrible! But I have done one pimped with galaxy and LDME and used CCA yeast - turned out not too bad with barely detectable kit twang. Bugger all body and flavour, but was looking for a megaswill style. I figured I was done with the low end kits, but I went and bought a couple of cans of woolies larger last week when on special for $8.80. 🙄 Not sure what I will do with them yet, oh well 😂

I've found if you do them as a toucan it adds more body. They need hops too but for the price they make a good base to work from for experimental beers.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

NOOOOOOO!!!!

Those floaties put me off, Shamus. The last time I had floaties it was pellicle for sure because that custard skin look about it. This one had different floaties and the fact it didn't clear up much put me off. I did consider kegging it but decided against it in the end. This is the first one I've tipped In over a hundred brews and maybe I didn't need to but it's done now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, Graculus said:

I just don't get it!

I agree. I use the kit yeast and as I'm doing toucans most times it's 2 x kit yeasts for me. If I was going to spend good money on premium yeast I'd be adding it to a decent quality extract.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Graculus said:

I just don't get it!

I did mine with CCA yeast, which I had recycled 5 times already. I agree, I probably wouldn't splash out 5 bucks on a fresh yeast for the woolies larger can.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

If it isn't decent quality, why use it in the first place? 

I probably didn't word myself well, AK. The Woolies stuff is a very basic extract, almost like liquid malt extract. Not much beery flavour. I use them as an inexpensive way to try new things eg. fruit additions. I wouldn't be keen to use expensive yeast with them if there's a chance I might botch the brew.

Having said that, I do make the occasional WW brew not just for experimentation purposes. My son actually likes it but I guess that's millennials for you... liking less flavoursome beer. And I admit while it's not my favourite beer it's not undrinkable.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Malter White said:

I probably didn't word myself well, AK. The Woolies stuff is a very basic extract, almost like liquid malt extract. Not much beery flavour. I use them as an inexpensive way to try new things eg. fruit additions. I wouldn't be keen to use expensive yeast with them if there's a chance I might botch the brew.

Having said that, I do make the occasional WW brew not just for experimentation purposes. My son actually likes it but I guess that's millennials for you... liking less flavoursome beer. And I admit while it's not my favourite beer it's not undrinkable.

I'm not judging, just asking.

All those home brand things aren't made from bad ingredients, although nobody would use top of the range ingredients for them. They're just basic. They contain exactly what they need to contain to be called what they are but nothing more. So usually those products lack flavour and have a tendency to be rather bland. If you can pimp them, great but if you like the result, you have to ask yourself how good it could have been if you had used a can of Coopers goo instead and a decent yeast 🙂 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

you have to ask yourself how good it could have been if you had used a can of Coopers goo instead and a decent yeast 🙂 

I'd probably use more Coopers product if it actually came to my house but it's currently on a 3 week holiday trekking Qld, NSW and Victoria.
(AusPost have botched my delivery if you don't know what I'm on about)

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Malter White said:

I'd probably use more Coopers product if it actually came to my house but it's currently on a 3 week holiday trekking Qld, NSW and Victoria.
(AusPost have botched my delivery if you don't know what I'm on about)

Malter, I am not laughing at your dilemma but that is funny the way you worded it.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Malter White said:

My parcel must like Melbourne. It's been there since Christmas Eve.

With all of the technology we have these days you would like to think somebody could locate it & say hey, send this man his beer in Adelaide. 🤔

Apart from ridiculous it doesn't seem possible (but we are talking about AUS Post)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/29/2022 at 12:51 PM, Malter White said:

Mr Parcel has finally arrived, 23 days after ordered. He must've had a good time. He looks exhausted. 

I'd forgotten about your parcel.

I've just written in the Coopers FV thread that one of the reasons I've given  up using the Coopers FV is the 3 week +

wait for a new tap to arrive.

• Sad 5

8 minutes ago, Graculus said:

I'd forgotten about your parcel.

I've just written in the Coopers FV thread that one of the reasons I've given  up using the Coopers FV is the 3 week +

wait for a new tap to arrive.

Is a 3 week wait common? This is the first time I've experienced delays like this. Not Coopers' fault either - AusPost are to blame for my shemozzle.

• Like 2

Just now, Malter White said:

Is a 3 week wait common? This is the first time I've experienced delays like this. Not Coopers' fault either - AusPost are to blame for my shemozzle.

I have no idea. Aust Post claimed there was a problem with the address label on my package.

I think it was so small it got lost somewhere along the way.

As I said in the other thread, I gave up with Coopers FV after that. Tap lasted two brews and I couldn't wait another three weeks for another.

• Sad 4

37 minutes ago, Malter White said:

I feel your pain guys.  Back near the end of C19 lock downs my order for two ROTM just went off the radar for two plus weeks for one box and took three weeks for the next box to arrive.  When that last box arrived it looked like it had been dropped from a 737 overhead my joint on it's way to New Zealand.  Luckily all parts of the ingredients were still inside what was looking like a survivor of un-used food parcel they sent back from the Kokoda Track.  AusPost needs to up its game and have delivery guarantees enforced or penalties get applied by govt. not the obscene bonuses now handed out to executives for so called managing a slack organisation.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Malter White said:

Malter it would have been easier & quicker 🤭 to go & see Uncle Bill out at Holden Hill, as you know he stocks Coopers products.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

I feel your pain guys.  Back near the end of C19 lock downs my order for two ROTM just went off the radar for two plus weeks for one box and took three weeks for the next box to arrive.  When that last box arrived it looked like it had been dropped from a 737 overhead my joint on it's way to New Zealand.  Luckily all parts of the ingredients were still inside what was looking like a survivor of un-used food parcel they sent back from the Kokoda Track.  AusPost needs to up its game and have delivery guarantees enforced or penalties get applied by govt. not the obscene bonuses now handed out to executives for so called managing a slack organisation.

When I used to send Stubby Holders, Bar Mats all over Aus, they were the last resort, apart from taking longer they were dearer than most freight companies, fortunately all orders I get now are sent direct to the client by the manufacturer & I add the shipping cost to their Invoice.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Malter it would have been easier & quicker 🤭 to go & see Uncle Bill out at Holden Hill, as you know he stocks Coopers products.

Actually it was easier to get a free delivery from Coopers but the time was a concern. However it wasn't a major concern because I had other stock on hand.

@iBooz2 My order looked a little worse for wear also. 

• Sad 2