Coopers Community

Fail thread (mistakes you’ve made 2021)

MitchBastard

18 minutes ago, Titans19 said:

We had a couple last night while shooting fireworks and after pouring my last beer I must have put the Pluto gun in a bad spot in the Keezer and the lid must have made it pull the trigger when closed.

Sounds like you had a cracker of a night up there in the NT.  Pity about the lost beer and gas.😬

• Like 1

Bottled a flanders red yesterday. I have a dedicated bucket for bug ferments and bottling which allows me to keep things separate. In my haste I grabbed the wrong bucket. Only realised halfway through filling it out of the glass carboy. So I have a potentially contaminated fermenter now which I don't want to dedicate.

Have been reading online that the best way to clean it is a soak in 1 ounce of bleach and 25L of water and then once diluted adding 1 oz white vinegar to lower the ph. Apparently this increases the power of bleach 100 fold and will kill anything however must be done outside as it will release chlorine gas. 

https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/581270

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Titans19 said:

Second fail..

I got my gas bottle filled up today and got home, put the regulator on, put pressure on, and walked away.

Came back about an hour later to pour a drink and found this - gas bottle also empty again!

Not sure what went wrong. I even sprayed it at connection's to make sure no leaks when I did it up.

(On my third P of S cheap regulator. Anyone have a recommendation?)

20210830_194812.jpg

Was the little white gasket put back in when you put the reg back on?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Titans19 said:

Sorry @Titans19 Titan mate - my suggestions are probably not worth much but I feel for you - have had troubles w gas bottles too... mmm so here's my 5c worth mate... 

I am not a big believer in the Duo-Tight fittings... I use the SS Clamps on barbs -- think they are a little more safe and sound... used Duos very little as found them troublesome and read others having both success and failure with them. 

And then fortunately was advised from this Site to utilise a Harris 601 CO2 Regulator from Day One... and am pretty happy with it.

However have had gas fail/losses out of PRVs on Cornies - even a brand new one...   hope you can resolve quickly mate : |

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Titans19 said:

Second fail..

I got my gas bottle filled up today and got home, put the regulator on, put pressure on, and walked away.

Came back about an hour later to pour a drink and found this - gas bottle also empty again!

Not sure what went wrong. I even sprayed it at connection's to make sure no leaks when I did it up.

20210830_194812.jpg

Mate have you checked the hoses on your duotights to make sure the cut is perfectly straight when I bought mine it the hoses were cut to length for me. I immediately had gas leaks when set up, fortunately I never leave my gas bottle on only losing a small amount. I was assured it was set up by an expert. When I checked the hoses they weren’t cut straight so I bought the cheap hose cutter ($3) cut my hoses straight no problems since. I still don’t leave my gas bottle on just give it a blast when I pour a beer as required to ensure no loss of gas till I get my confidence but probably never will when I hear stories like yours. Sorry for your loss of beer and gas hope you sort it out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Graubart said:

Sorry @Titans19 Titan mate - my suggestions are probably not worth much but I feel for you - have had troubles w gas bottles too... mmm so here's my 5c worth mate... 

I am not a big believer in the Duo-Tight fittings... I use the SS Clamps on barbs -- think they are a little more safe and sound... used Duos very little as found them troublesome and read others having both success and failure with them. 

And then fortunately was advised from this Site to utilise a Harris 601 CO2 Regulator from Day One... and am pretty happy with it.

However have had gas fail/losses out of PRVs on Cornies - even a brand new one...   hope you can resolve quickly mate : |

Funny you mentioned the PRV as I was wondering that today as there was no pressure in the keg. Given there's a check valve I though pressure should have stayed in keg if leak was north of this..??

I like the duo tights as I regularly swap disconnects around, however you make a really good point. Maybe for the line from reg, to T pieces, through check valves, I should use fittings as these never change..

I'll also check out that reg.

Thanks Graubart

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RDT2 said:

Mate have you checked the hoses on your duotights to make sure the cut is perfectly straight when I bought mine it the hoses were cut to length for me. I immediately had gas leaks when set up, fortunately I never leave my gas bottle on only losing a small amount. I was assured it was set up by an expert. When I checked the hoses they weren’t cut straight so I bought the cheap hose cutter ($3) cut my hoses straight no problems since. I still don’t leave my gas bottle on just give it a blast when I pour a beer as required to ensure no loss of gas till I get my confidence but probably never will when I hear stories like yours. Sorry for your loss of beer and gas hope you sort it out.

Good idea about turning gas off. If the beers primed there's no reason to keep it on hey..

I'll also check the connections. 

Thanks!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Bottled a flanders red yesterday. I have a dedicated bucket for bug ferments and bottling which allows me to keep things separate. In my haste I grabbed the wrong bucket. Only realised halfway through filling it out of the glass carboy. So I have a potentially contaminated fermenter now which I don't want to dedicate.

Have been reading online that the best way to clean it is a soak in 1 ounce of bleach and 25L of water and then once diluted adding 1 oz white vinegar to lower the ph. Apparently this increases the power of bleach 100 fold and will kill anything however must be done outside as it will release chlorine gas. 

https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/581270

Ahh that’s a bugger! Pardon the pun.

is an iodine based cleaner like iphodor any good in that situation?

11 hours ago, Titans19 said:

fortunately I never leave my gas bottle on only losing a small amount....I still don’t leave my gas bottle on just give it a blast when I pour a beer as required to ensure no loss of gas till I get my confidence but probably never will when I hear stories like yours.

@RDT2 @Titans19 Brewers I am also a big supporter of RD's methodology - Gas on only when you need it... from  hard lessons learned in the past...  If it's off at the bottle hopefully won't escape out the smallest leak anywhere else hey... 

So even on gassing up if I am not in a mad rush - I just keep pressurizing - giving it a hit - and then turning off... till it has enough... 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

Ahh that’s a bugger! Pardon the pun.

is an iodine based cleaner like iphodor any good in that situation?

Yeah I read other people recommending that as well and it seemed the safer option but being locked down in one of the Sydney LGA's I went with the household stuff. I have left it in there for about 20 hours now and will tip it out this arvo and wash with clean water then starsan. I guess I'll know the first batch I use it again.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

Blardy hell….no time to brew in recent weeks has resulted in 3 blown kegs and one approaching a critical level. No hope in sight. Pray for me people. 

Doesn't sound like happy times Mitch, I guess your work keeps you busy but I am imagine you will get it sorted, there's always the old bottle'o for times like this. Cheers.

• Haha 1

On 9/10/2021 at 7:57 AM, Classic Brewing Co said:

Doesn't sound like happy times Mitch, I guess your work keeps you busy but I am imagine you will get it sorted, there's always the old bottle'o for times like this. Cheers.

Cheers mate! Brew day today so will have something sorted shortly 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Brew day yesterday.  Did normal clean and sanitise of fv including removing tap. Had noticed that when fully tightened the tap was not vertical, more like 7.30 if you get my drift. Decided to add the washer from the bung to the tap - bewdy perfectly vertical. Did a trial fill with water to just over the tap level and no leaks.

Mixed wort, covered then went away to rehydrate yeast. Returned later to a puddle of wort on the bench and floor from a leaky tap. Panic stations! Clearly the added pressure of a full wort had found me out!

Mad scramble to find things to empty the wort into. All the kitchen pots were sanitised and put to use but they clearly weren't enough. Had 2 buckets in the shed i use to wash car, clean paint brushes in etc. Quick rinse and sanitise and managed to save the rest of the wort.

Reverted to a single washer and refilled- all good. 

Not holding out much hope for the brew. Probably (almost certainly) its going to a Bootmaker PAIL ale with a subtle hint of car wash and Taubmans Forest Green.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Spursman said:

Brew day yesterday.  Did normal clean and sanitise of fv including removing tap. Had noticed that when fully tightened the tap was not vertical, more like 7.30 if you get my drift. Decided to add the washer from the bung to the tap - bewdy perfectly vertical. Did a trial fill with water to just over the tap level and no leaks.

Mixed wort, covered then went away to rehydrate yeast. Returned later to a puddle of wort on the bench and floor from a leaky tap. Panic stations! Clearly the added pressure of a full wort had found me out!

Mad scramble to find things to empty the wort into. All the kitchen pots were sanitised and put to use but they clearly weren't enough. Had 2 buckets in the shed i use to wash car, clean paint brushes in etc. Quick rinse and sanitise and managed to save the rest of the wort.

Reverted to a single washer and refilled- all good. 

Not holding out much hope for the brew. Probably (almost certainly) its going to a Bootmaker PAIL ale with a subtle hint of car wash and Taubmans Forest Green.

Sounds like it will have buckets of flavour with a lingering acrylic aftertaste. 😬

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Sounds like it will have buckets of flavour with a lingering acrylic aftertaste. 😬

Yeah Classic i think you're spot on. It's fermenting now and i guess I should taste test at some point. Any suggestions when I should do so?

22 minutes ago, Spursman said:

Yeah Classic i think you're spot on. It's fermenting now and i guess I should taste test at some point. Any suggestions when I should do so?

I would give it a week & if it tastes like beer whack a heap of hops in but it would be worth keeping an eye on it as there is always the chance of infection.  You may experience some 'off' tastes but as you say if the buckets were sanitised you may get away with it.

Cheers.

• Thanks 1