Coopers Community

Fail thread (mistakes you’ve made 2021)

MitchBastard

16 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Seems to be a lot of Job Sheets there bloke, as long as it works out in the end. I always assemble the ingredients ensuring all are correct before starting the brew.

Regarding mixing the Brew Enhancers & the LDM in cold water I find this works best for me, I hardly get any clumps - the yeast will dispose of them anyway.

Some will say hot water is better but the only hot water I add is to the freshly emptied can of extract to rinse it out thoroughly, wrap a towel around the can though, burnies!

Somehow, I always achieve my pitching temperature of about 24c with this routine.

I will be double checking, maybe triple checking, from now on.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Well I was putting down another brew and decided to sanitise my rapt pill by dropping it in a jar of boiling water. Within a couple of minutes I heard a loud pop and it sent one half of the casing flying and there was the other half with battery and circuit board going for a nice bath. I quickly fished it out and disconnected the battery and dried it off thinking I had stuffed it for sure.

To my surprise, I dried it off and connected it up it was still working. Unfortunately in the next brew it was showing incorrect readings - it was showing gravity being 10 points lower than it should be. I recalibrated it twice and still the same 😩. So today I did an advanced calibration on it, setting 2 points as reference so we will se how it goes. It seems to be working correctly. The seal is ok, albeit the clear half of thecase is opaque from the boiling water. Crossing fingers it is ok 🤞🏼

Geez I do some dumb sh*t sometimes 😂

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Cheap Charlie said:

Well I was putting down another brew and decided to sanitise my rapt pill by dropping it in a jar of boiling water. Within a couple of minutes I heard a loud pop and it sent one half of the casing flying and there was the other half with battery and circuit board going for a nice bath. I quickly fished it out and disconnected the battery and dried it off thinking I had stuffed it for sure.

To my surprise, I dried it off and connected it up it was still working. Unfortunately in the next brew it was showing incorrect readings - it was showing gravity being 10 points lower than it should be. I recalibrated it twice and still the same 😩. So today I did an advanced calibration on it, setting 2 points as reference so we will se how it goes. It seems to be working correctly. The seal is ok, albeit the clear half of thecase is opaque from the boiling water. Crossing fingers it is ok 🤞🏼

Ouch! You'll be lucky if you don't have to change your name to Expensive Charlie.

• Haha 4

On 9/24/2023 at 6:21 AM, Cheap Charlie said:

Wow. Haven't managed to do that yet. I did apparently fry one once by inserting the battery the wrong way but never had one jump out of hot water 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

after a week the graph looks pretty sketchy, it says 1.017, but my hydrometer says 1.020.. It's in the ball park so not too concerned, but what concerns me is I'm using Novalager and usually it annihilates the wort in 6 days, it still tastes sweet, like wtf 🤔

Anyway, I still may be up for a new pill 😩

1.thumb.jpg.45196ecdc3c7ecf00e5df0fea8cedc53.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, RDT2 said:

Just emptied my stir bar straight into the sink drain ffs 🤦‍♂️ after being at the home brew store this morning 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Yeah I have done that and it sucks 🤣

I have since bought a six pack of stir bars.

Edited by kmar92
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, NBillett09 said:

@RDT2hopefully it is/was just sitting in the S bend and could be easily retrieved??

This reminds me of a time when I knocked one of my wife's earrings down the bathroom basin. I thought, "No problem! I'll just unscrew the U pipe underneath and retrieve it."  Which I did but the U pipe was full of water so naturally I poured it down the sink, which now had no catchment because I was holding it in my hands.🤦‍♂️😆

• Haha 9

9 minutes ago, Malter White said:

This reminds me of a time when I knocked one of my wife's earrings down the bathroom basin. I thought, "No problem! I'll just unscrew the U pipe underneath and retrieve it."  Which I did but the U pipe was full of water so naturally I poured it down the sink, which now had no catchment because I was holding it in my hands.🤦‍♂️😆

Putz 🤣

• Haha 1

Had my first Bottle Explosion today!

Heard a noise this morning, I was busy at the time, so didn't go looking, but later when I went down to the shed (under the house), you could smell the Beer.

Opened the door to the brew storage area and glass on the floor and across several shelves. Four bottles blew, I have no clue as to why, It's my standard pale ale brew, it's been aging for Four weeks! The temperature at the time was about 19 in the room, I keep it at around the 18-20 range. It took some time to clean up.

I'll put one in the fridge tomorrow and see what it's like once chilled.

IMG_20231015_125130.thumb.jpg.c42f14d1adcb4ec116ee02d0cbc5eb71.jpgIMG_20231015_125219.thumb.jpg.00359f7f772f32f84dda09e1f807b40b.jpg

• Sad 9

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Heard a noise this morning, I was busy at the time, so didn't go looking, but later when I went down to the shed (under the house), you could smell the Beer.

Opened the door to the brew storage area and glass on the floor and across several shelves. Four bottles blew, I have no clue as to why, It's my standard pale ale brew, it's been aging for Four weeks! The temperature at the time was about 19 in the room, I keep it at around the 18-20 range. It took some time to clean up.

Bad luck, Dave. While I love the aesthetics of a beer in glass, it's due to the fear of this happening that I've continued using PET bottles. Especially now that I use kegs too because most of my bottles sit around for a long time before being consumed. That extra time increases the risk.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DavidM said:

IMG_20231015_125130.thumb.jpg.c42f14d1adcb4ec116ee02d0cbc5eb71.jpgIMG_20231015_125219.thumb.jpg.00359f7f772f32f84dda09e1f807b40b.jpg

Oh crap, I hate that 😤 reminds me of a brew I had in my room when I was FIFO at Argyle, I would store my brews on top of a wardrobe, unfortunately it was a shared room and when I was on RnR one stubby let go and showered glass all over the young lady using my room in the middle of the night. Obviously I wasn’t the most popular person upon my return to site 🤦‍♂️

So @DavidM, my experience tells me (which I’m sure you already know) it’ll be only one of two things, either a bottle (it only takes one to take out another 3), was either over primed or there was enough residue of a contamination in the bottle to cause over carbonation. 
Anywho, no one was hurt, so just a hurt feelings report to complete 😉
PS very nice storage setup mate ✅👍🏻🥇

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Triple B Brewing said:

it’ll be only one of two things, either a bottle (it only takes one to take out another 3), was either over primed or there was enough residue of a contamination in the bottle to cause over carbonation. 

PS very nice storage setup mate ✅👍🏻🥇

During clean up it looks like one was pushed off the shelf, and the others took each other out, as you said, one took out 3 more.

Storage: I'm lucky I have an area in which I was able to build shelves, out of scrap, it holds 12 brews and another rack on the other side with room for another 5. It's Nice having space! (it's going to suck when I have to move)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DavidM said:

During clean up it looks like one was pushed off the shelf, and the others took each other out, as you said, one took out 3 more.

Storage: I'm lucky I have an area in which I was able to build shelves, out of scrap, it holds 12 brews and another rack on the other side with room for another 5. It's Nice having space! (it's going to suck when I have to move)

OK, so if I understand correctly, maybe a backing might be needed on your shelving so they can't get pushed off, but other than that ya tellin' me @DavidM ya "standard pale ale" will be good ta go - Well then WOOHOO !! - that's a great outcome 🥳🍺🍺

Cheers to them cold beers mate 😉

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Triple B Brewing said:

OK, so if I understand correctly, maybe a backing might be needed on your shelving so they can't get pushed off, but other than that ya tellin' me @DavidM ya "standard pale ale" will be good ta go - Well then WOOHOO !! - that's a great outcome 🥳🍺🍺

Cheers to them cold beers mate 😉

When I bottled, I used to store all of mine in boxes with the cardboard dividers, tape them up, label them & stack them.

I never had a burst bottle or any issues.

20220526_112744.thumb.jpg.bee161a03bef31958ba89b6e875ce0d7.jpg

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

When I bottled, I used to store all of mine in boxes with the cardboard dividers, tape them up, label them & stack them.

WOW - that's a lot of care right there @Classic Brewing Co

I really love the keg system I have built, no storage issues, no painful washing and sterilising a zillion bottles - anywaz that's me and I'm a happy camper 😉

If I ever want a couple of roadies, or a sample to keep for the "library", I'll use my Counter Pressure Filler and fill the occasional disposable PET bottle - simples ! 👍

😍 Keezers n cold beers 🍺🍺

Keezer2.thumb.jpg.f9324369e881a1e8d39f3404ba4ec339.jpg

Keezer.thumb.jpg.85f9a193e15d7c92ffecae238cca3f76.jpg

TheKeezer.thumb.jpg.ba668a844844dbf61d7d66dca011349f.jpg

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Triple B Brewing said:

WOW - that's a lot of care right there @Classic Brewing Co

I really love the keg system I have built, no storage issues, no painful washing and sterilising a zillion bottles - anywaz that's me and I'm a happy camper 😉

If I ever want a couple of roadies, or a sample to keep for the "library", I'll use my Counter Pressure Filler and fill the occasional disposable PET bottle - simples ! 👍

😍 Keezers n cold beers 🍺🍺

Keezer2.thumb.jpg.f9324369e881a1e8d39f3404ba4ec339.jpg

Keezer.thumb.jpg.85f9a193e15d7c92ffecae238cca3f76.jpg

TheKeezer.thumb.jpg.ba668a844844dbf61d7d66dca011349f.jpg

Yeah, looks good, kegging is so much easier, better tasting beer so why would you muck around with bottles?

Of course, there are always a few with the remaining brew in the keg but they are handy for roadies, visiting etc.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I use boxes like those for conditioning. For storage they just sit on shelves in the kitchen or in the lagering fridge.

• Like 1