Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

25 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Phooooeee I cannot agree more @Tone boy Toner... know that feeeeeeelin' and it is nasty not nice 😧

And BTW some lovely lookin' brews up there... nice job mate ; )

Thanks @Graubart  you always have kind words. 
I do envy the view from your fence…always look forward to your posts (and rails) 😉

Im going to have to pick your brains at some stage. Planning on a HW wheaty yeasty type number over summer…👍✌️

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

Planning on a HW wheaty yeasty type number over summer

Well start off by getting some Lallemand munich classic dry yeast mate... good yeast is critical for HW 

There are loadsa fancy liquid ones - but honestly - I reckon Lally munich dry is GOLD

Think @Shamus O'Sean Shamus you also found it ok mate did you not?

And fit the KKCollar 🏴‍☠️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yep @Graubart & @Tone boy.  I used Munich Classic Wheat Yeast and strongly recommend.

Yes, fit the Kraussen Kollar.  It creates yeast monsters.

Recommend fermenting at 17°C for the best banana aroma plus a bit of spice.  I also did one at 18°C.  It had no detectable banana, but still had a good spice aroma and flavour.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First taste of my Mexican Lager it was actually a kit containing a pouch of 1.7gm Light LME, US-05 & I added 25gm Saaz Infusion) It was bottled on the 20th August but as it yielded 31 PET bottles I fridge'd one for testing. I was surprised with to see it fairly clear in this short time, tastes very nice, good head. As always we try to Lager them but we all know what happens, I will give it another couple of weeks to see the difference.

Cheers.

MV Mexican Lager 4th Sept 21.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Drizly cool day.... Back on the nitro'd dark creamy Ale ; )

Look's really nice Graubster it is a Drizzly cool day too, ha ha couldn't help that, gotcha !! 😀  We are back to 14c in Adelaide & it will continue right up to next Wednesday.  My Stout stocks are getting low so I hope it warms up soon. 

• Haha 1

Ooops!  Haven't had this happen for quite a while. Curious thing is, the PET wasn't rock hard like you'd expect f it was over-carb'd and the beer itself tastes fine,  no hint of any shift in flavour - something that you might also expect when contaminated with brett or diastatitcus etc.  🙄

IMG20210904175222.jpg

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 5

51 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

Ooops!  Haven't had this happen for quite a while. Curious thing is, the PET wasn't rock hard like you'd expect f it was over-carb'd and the beer itself tastes fine,  no hint of any shift in flavour - something that you might also expect when contaminated with brett or diastatitcus etc.  🙄

IMG20210904175222.jpg

Yeah that happens. I probably get 1 bottle on average every couple of bottled batches. Don't think mine are diastaticus just a bottle that wasn't cleaned 100%. What was the yeast? Was it an English yeast?

Edited by Greeny1525229549
  • Like 1

Second taste of wattle yeast beer. This thing has changed. Saison funkiness definitely increased. Too much for my liking but I can see funky saison fans loving this. Going to put down a mixed fermentation tomorrow with this yeast which I will post in brew day. Looking forward to tasting that one in a few months

20210904_172550.jpg

Edited by Greeny1525229549
  • Like 8

6 minutes ago, Titans19 said:

Mexican Cervaza with BE1 and US05.

After making more Crafty Beers, this seems very watery and a bit boring.. but it's still drinkable.

20210905_123149.jpg

Hi @Titans19  That should be a great Beer, if you look at the chart below you will see the different ingredients in the Brew Enhancers, BE1/BE/2/BE3.  Substituting Liquid Malt Extract or even Light Dried Malt will give you a better result, more body, better head retention & overall mouthfeel & taste a whole lot better. Dextrose has it's place but in general it produces a watery flat sort of beer & increases the ABV.Have a go & see the difference.

Cheers

Phil

Coopers Light Dry Malt

100% light dry malt (500g)

Coopers Dextrose

100% dextrose (1kg)

Coopers Brewing Sugar

80% dextrose, 20% maltodextrin (800g/200g)

Coopers Brew Enhancer 1

60% dextrose, 40% maltodextrin (600g/400g)

Coopers Brew Enhancer 2

50% dextrose, 25% maltodextrin, 25% light dry malt (500g/250g/250g)

Coopers Brew Enhancer 3

50% Light Dry Malt, 30% Dextrose, 20% Maltodextrin (500g/300g/200g)

Any of the above products can be substituted with ingredients available at your local home brew shop (LHBS). For example if a recipe that you have done previously called for a package of Coopers Light Dry Malt 500g this could be replaced with 500g of any Light Dry Malt you can get, if your are doing a dark beer or stout you could use a Dark Dry Malt for sightly darker richer beer. If you used it in a beer and you thought the beer could do with a slightly lighter mouth feel or be a bit drier you could swap the Light Dry Malt with some Dextrose. Experimenting like this is fun and can lead to some great beers.

• Corn Sugar = Dextrose
  • Corn Syrup = Maltodextrin 

Try and keep the simple sugars (dextrose, white sugar, etc.) at or below 20% of the total fermentables. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Hi @Titans19  That should be a great Beer, if you look at the chart below you will see the different ingredients in the Brew Enhancers, BE1/BE/2/BE3.  Substituting Liquid Malt Extract or even Light Dried Malt will give you a better result, more body, better head retention & overall mouthfeel & taste a whole lot better. Dextrose has it's place but in general it produces a watery flat sort of beer & increases the ABV.Have a go & see the difference.

Cheers

Phil

Coopers Light Dry Malt

100% light dry malt (500g)

Coopers Dextrose

100% dextrose (1kg)

Coopers Brewing Sugar

80% dextrose, 20% maltodextrin (800g/200g)

Coopers Brew Enhancer 1

60% dextrose, 40% maltodextrin (600g/400g)

Coopers Brew Enhancer 2

50% dextrose, 25% maltodextrin, 25% light dry malt (500g/250g/250g)

Coopers Brew Enhancer 3

50% Light Dry Malt, 30% Dextrose, 20% Maltodextrin (500g/300g/200g)

Any of the above products can be substituted with ingredients available at your local home brew shop (LHBS). For example if a recipe that you have done previously called for a package of Coopers Light Dry Malt 500g this could be replaced with 500g of any Light Dry Malt you can get, if your are doing a dark beer or stout you could use a Dark Dry Malt for sightly darker richer beer. If you used it in a beer and you thought the beer could do with a slightly lighter mouth feel or be a bit drier you could swap the Light Dry Malt with some Dextrose. Experimenting like this is fun and can lead to some great beers.

• Corn Sugar = Dextrose
  • Corn Syrup = Maltodextrin 

Try and keep the simple sugars (dextrose, white sugar, etc.) at or below 20% of the total fermentables. 

Thanks Phil. That's great!

I think ill be stocking up on different types of Malt!.. do you know how they differ of how much ABV they make?

Eg, would 1kg of BE1 be similar to 1kg LDM?

5 minutes ago, Titans19 said:

Thanks Phil. That's great!

I think ill be stocking up on different types of Malt!.. do you know how they differ of how much ABV they make?

Eg, would 1kg of BE1 be similar to 1kg LDM?

To be perfectly honest I would rather not quote on the exact figures as I am not a stickler for the ABV being slightly higher or lower.

There are ways to calculate more accurately, for example when you do your next brew list all of the ingredients etc as below & @Shamus O'Sean  @Journeyman   @iBooz2  are just a few that would come to your aid.

EXAMPLE - this was my last brew

Coopers Australian Pale Ale 1.7kg

LME - Liquid Malt Extract, Light 1.7gm

Hops - POR  Pride of Ringwood x 25gm ( Infusion )

Safale Yeast US-05

SG 1.046

If you submit it like this one of the guys will estimate it for you.

Cheers & Good Luck

Phil

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Was that one of the ROTM's ? It certainly looks nice.

I don’t recall it being a ROTM at any stage ( could be wrong though ).

I just bought what ingredients I didn’t have on hand from my LHBS.

‘Not bad for a partial.

Soon comes the jump to All Grain BIAB. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

I don’t recall it being a ROTM at any stage ( could be wrong though ).

I just bought what ingredients I didn’t have on hand from my LHBS.

‘Not bad for a partial.

OK good luck, I am not in a hurry ATM but I will slowly up the antics. Cheers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Red devil 44 said:

why soon why not now  😄   

to be honest  i when i returned of a long break , instead of jumping to  all grain
That i should have started at doing a few extract brews and working my way back up to where i was when i decided to long break

I now love reading of the journeys like yours @Red devil 44 and working your way up to All grain  wether its biab or 3v or all in one system....

so welcome to the A.G club soon 

your beer did look very drinkable mate and was licking my chops

• Like 1
  • Haha 1