Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

7 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

EXAMPLE - this was my last brew

Coopers Australian Pale Ale 1.7kg

LME - Liquid Malt Extract, Light 1.7gm

Hops - POR  Pride of Ringwood x 25gm ( Infusion )

Safale Yeast US-05

SG 1.046

That would be 4.9% (after bottle priming), Phil.  Assuming it was a standard 23 litre brew, which I am based on your OG of 1.046

@Titans19 there is a difference.  Dextrose is 100% fermentable, so adds to ABV, but adds no flavour.  Maltodextrin is not fermentable, so adds to your Original Gravity, but not your ABV.  It gives beer some extra body due to its residual sweetness.  Light Dry Malt, LDM, is not as fermentable as Dextrose, but adds flavour to a beer and some body, but less than the same amount of Maltodextrin. 

Adding 1kg of the various BE's to say a standard Australian Pale Ale can, brewed to 23 litres gives:

• BE1 - 3.8% ABV
  • BE2 - 4.0% ABV
  • BE3 - 4.0% ABV
  • LDM - 4.2% ABV
  • Dextrose - 4.6% ABV

All after bottle-priming.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

That would be 4.9% (after bottle priming), Phil.  Assuming it was a standard 23 litre brew, which I am based on your OG of 1.046

@Titans19 there is a difference.  Dextrose is 100% fermentable, so adds to ABV, but adds no flavour.  Maltodextrin is not fermentable, so adds to your Original Gravity, but not your ABV.  It gives beer some extra body due to its residual sweetness.  Light Dry Malt, LDM, is not as fermentable as Dextrose, but adds flavour to a beer and some body, but less than the same amount of Maltodextrin. 

Adding 1kg of the various BE's to say a standard Australian Pale Ale can, brewed to 23 litres gives:

• BE1 - 3.8% ABV
  • BE2 - 4.0% ABV
  • BE3 - 4.0% ABV
  • LDM - 4.2% ABV
  • Dextrose - 4.6% ABV

Cheers Shamus.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ozdevil said:

why soon why not now  😄   

to be honest  i when i returned of a long break , instead of jumping to  all grain
That i should have started at doing a few extract brews and working my way back up to where i was when i decided to long break

I now love reading of the journeys like yours @Red devil 44 and working your way up to All grain  wether its biab or 3v or all in one system....

so welcome to the A.G club soon 

your beer did look very drinkable mate and was licking my chops

Cheers mate 👍

• Like 1

Yes yes I can hear you all say WTF it is the same bllllaaardy beer... but this Theaksty-ish Old Ale is luverly and hey it is a different day and a different glass ; )

And the Southerly blew the dribble as I was turning the glass so it went wandering AWOL apologies ...  But it is a beaut drop and sorta texture some clever bar-person could draw a Shamrock in the top 🥳  Cheers Brewers One and All 🏴‍☠️

image.thumb.png.9a14333ce5a0ef8eb856c6941fb7cc02.png

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Graubart said:

this Theaksty-ish Old Ale is luverly and hey it is a different day and a different glass ; )

Are you going to have another crack at this recipe, maybe with tweaks to refine it or no need you think?

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Are you going to have another crack at this recipe, maybe with tweaks to refine it or no need you think?

Hey there Boozer ol' Cobber : )

Mate I am thinking yes - and make it darker - I added the dark grains very late to avoid astringency but think I will make it darker next time and pop them in at the start of the Mash w everything else ; )

I do like the Yeast too for this style of brew but it is a PITA for floccing - the old US05 and Dubbya in comparison are so well behaved.

However, this ESB fella does not ferment out maltotriose so there is a little more body and the brew taste is v good so I think I will persevere haha! 

Could also drop the total grains down a bit as at 7.6% is a fair old scrum forward walloping brew not to be taken lightly 😜

But Phhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarque it is a laaaaaaaaaaaaaarvely drop Yummmmmmmo! 🥳 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Yes yes I can hear you all say WTF it is the same bllllaaardy beer... but this Theaksty-ish Old Ale is luverly and hey it is a different day and a different glass ; )

And the Southerly blew the dribble as I was turning the glass so it went wandering AWOL apologies ...  But it is a beaut drop and sorta texture some clever bar-person could draw a Shamrock in the top 🥳  Cheers Brewers One and All 🏴‍☠️

image.thumb.png.9a14333ce5a0ef8eb856c6941fb7cc02.png

irish.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Graubart said:

I had a crack at doing a clone-ish version of this beer a while back.   There was very little info that I could find on the beer but I did see suggestions of using 500g molasses mentioned a few times on various forums.  So I did.  Not sure it was a good idea though....  it was just a bit too overpowering I thought. 

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 3

Sometimes it’s nice to just have a beer where it feels like your at the pub, which is what this Pilsner is! Simple old fashioned beer 🍻 really relaxing and tasty especially with some warmer weather coming on🥳 So happy with this beer 🍻 

38440620-FFDB-4500-8E7A-624B2093F77F.jpeg

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 13

1 hour ago, disgruntled said:

Here is my IPA. It is a cracker. I am also crackers. But hey, who is counting? Mindblowingly fruity and bitter. I love beer.

I think @Shamus O'Sean mentioned the IBU... doesn't taste any where near as bitter as the beersmiff prediction

Gee you get them to tap quick.  Do you ferment then in the microwave. 😂

• Haha 2

On 9/5/2021 at 9:18 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

• BE1 - 3.8% ABV
  • BE2 - 4.0% ABV
  • BE3 - 4.0% ABV
  • LDM - 4.2% ABV
  • Dextrose - 4.6% ABV

Thanks mate!

Champion!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, disgruntled said:

PXL_20210906_095152548.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.48f189561dd27b44d9f97c86c675a1b1.jpg

Definitely looks great.  I actually misread your recipe and thought all the hops were 60 minute boils.  Hence my curiosity about how it would turn out. 😁

Maybe the whirlpool additions add something that technically increases the IBU's.  However, we do not perceive these IBU's as we would the equivalent IBU's in a traditional boil.

• Haha 1

On 9/2/2021 at 12:22 PM, Stickers said:

no pic because i'm a little hazy tonight but cracked open a bottle of a saison that i made in january and damn it's potent. be134 yeast in a kit kilo and partial. good.

@Stickers yeah mate, I'm happy with my own, it's been a cuppla months in the bottle. I'm not sure how many on the trot I would drink cos it creeps up on you. It feels more than the 6.5° in the recipe (if it was a Coopers you made)

13 hours ago, Graubart said:

@Graubart Graubster mate, that looks mighty fine. Did you run nitro through it ? s I mentioned elsewhere I've just been delivered the stuff for my own extract version of Old Perc so I will be doing a run of it at the weekend. Or I might do my Tim Taylors Landlord first 🤔

On 9/5/2021 at 5:09 PM, ozdevil said:

why soon why not now  😄   

to be honest  i when i returned of a long break , instead of jumping to  all grain
That i should have started at doing a few extract brews and working my way back up to where i was when i decided to long break

I now love reading of the journeys like yours @Red devil 44 and working your way up to All grain  wether its biab or 3v or all in one system....

so welcome to the A.G club soon 

your beer did look very drinkable mate and was licking my chops

Just waiting for the tax return to arrive, then it’s all go. SWMBO has approved 😜

• Like 3

On 9/5/2021 at 9:18 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

• BE1 - 3.8% ABV
  • BE2 - 4.0% ABV
  • BE3 - 4.0% ABV
  • LDM - 4.2% ABV
  • Dextrose - 4.6% ABV

Hi Seamus..

I remember stumbling across a spreadsheet a while ago where I could input different extracts, sugars, hops etc and it would pump out an approximate ABV, IBU, etc.

Is this what you use? Can you share it? I did a search but couldn't find anything..

Cheers

American Pale Ale- Partial Mash

Steeped 150g Wheat Grain & 20g Mosaic Hops

Dry hopped 20g Amarillo, 20g Simcoe & 20g Citra Day 5

Fermented for 9 days@19 degrees 

CC 4 days then kegged for 1 month

Gassed up last week & now on tap in the Kegerator 

American Ale Yeast  

Taste is Wheaty & Fruity, I like it so far.

‘Cheers RD44🍻🍻

77931837-0627-4B87-886B-9548CD03BAD4.jpeg

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

American Pale Ale- Partial Mash

Steeped 150g Wheat Grain & 20g Mosaic Hops

Dry hopped 20g Amarillo, 20g Simcoe & 20g Citra Day 5

Fermented for 9 days@19 degrees 

CC 4 days then kegged for 1 month

Gassed up last week & now on tap in the Kegerator 

American Ale Yeast  

Taste is Wheaty & Fruity, I like it so far.

‘Cheers RD44🍻🍻

Looks bloody awful RD, lift your game 🤣  No seriously that looks superb mate, lovely fresh colour, good work.

Cheers

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 1