Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2020?

BlackSands

2 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Woohoo back pouring finally Brewers! 

Ooh Yeah Ooh Yeah... Rye Baby Rye not?   Not the amazeballs colour of @Green Blob GB's Big Red Rye.... seen on the right....

But think you can see a tinge of red in the dark Rye Baby...  and the velvet texture... and rich dankness or dank richness... is Gold... Yummo!

You there @Norris! Norris mate? Hope you don't mind me borrowing the dank expression mate I learned from you haha!

image.thumb.png.bb0936ae7d38815ca3f7f03d60a5306b.png

Next time I would ditch the Chocolate Malt, Carafa III and Med Crystal and just let the Rye shine a bit more ; ) 

Well really just more for the colour profile haha as the beer tastes great!

Looking fine there. My Irish Red is the same colour and only red when looked at toward a light source. It tastes great and all and I ask myself why I should change things but I can't help myself. Next batch I make will be with half the roasted barley, which should lighten it up a bit to get a more red appearance. I think the beer can handle it. 

• Like 2

Back to basics!  First hopped-up K&K I've brewed in a very long time.  A simple brew built on the Draught can, 1.2kg LME and 50g each of Amarillo and Simcoe.  Once again fermented with Kveik Voss with fermentation taking a day or so... 1.040 -> 1.009.  It hasn't finished quite as dry as the AG batches I've been doing with voss lately which, while I don't mind the thinner drier aspect to those brews, it's quite nice to a have a beer that's a got a little more mouth feel to it.   And, to be honest if this was handed to me blind I don't think I could tell with any confidence that it's an extract beer either - it's certainly as enjoyable as any of my AG brews -  though I suspect that may have a lot to do with the hops - amerillo in particular as I have yet to make a beer I didn't like using that hop! 😛

While it's a relatively cheap beer as far as kit and extract brews go it did actually cost quite a bit more to make compared to the equivalent AG so for that reason alone I probably won't do K&K's all that often.    

Draught_Simarillo.jpg

• Like 11

This is the Black Beer on first pour/test prior to export down the coast.... if Covid doesn't stop us in our tracks... needs a tad more CO2 methinks... but still pretty nice slurping...  Mr and Mrs Gravity suggest this is > 8% ABV.... mmm we'll see how we go... does not taste like it...  think that the additions of the specialty malt combo of Carafa III and Chocolate Malt have made this eminently chocolatey....  mmm.... interesting 🤔

image.png.2db52b82061b9b557d1aef4e14d2e4b0.png

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 11

Side-by-side taste test of my Fresh Wort Kit - All Inn Sabro hopped Pale Ale

IMG_2103.JPG.6ab6eae355c88e77ee521c461b76a9bd.JPG

On the left is half of the brew done naked as instructed.  On the right is the other half of the same brew that had a hop tea of 25g of El Dorado added before pitching the yeast.

Naked version

• Slightly hoppy aroma, but malt is more noticeable
  • Sabro hops seem to have an identity crisis
  • Flavour: Some fruitiness, a creaminess, hint of coconut after-taste
  • Seems marginally more bitter than the other half?

El Dorado Hop Tea version

• Fruitier dry hop aromas, but mild
  • Reading up on El Dorado, pear and watermelon are suitable descriptions
  • Seems to have a more tropical flavour too - Maybe from the heat of the hop steep

Both are really nice.  I could not split them preference-wise.

• Like 13

On 12/6/2020 at 3:30 PM, MUZZY said:

It's only been in the bottle 12 days but I was itching to try it. Coopers Australian Pale Ale, BE2 with some steeped coriander. I feel it's a little green and will improve with longer bottle aging. The coriander seems to have added a little extra bitterness.

This is the beer I added seeds and foliage from the now decrepit coriander plant in the background of the photo. Am I enthused about this beer? Not really but it's not the worst beer I've ever made. It's quite drinkable and with it's bitter bite it will most likely be enjoyed best on a hot day.

IMG20201206151451.jpg

Following up on this beer. I had a few on the weekend and shared it with friends. The feedback was all positive, which surprised me to be honest.
It's now had 4 weeks in the bottle and the improvement in the beer was quite evident.
I could detect more of the citrus/fruity flavour that I was told coriander would bring. So even though I probably didn't add the coriander in the correct manner it still added the characteristic I was hoping it would. My thanks go to @Waynealford for getting me on to coriander. I'll definitely be using it more in the future.

• Like 7

ESB I did on brewday thread couple weeks back. Yeast was London ESB which tore through 40 points in 3 days 1.050 to 1.010. For the style its a keeper of a recipe. Only complaint it needs to be served slightly warmer than my kegerator is set.

20201222_201148.jpg

Edited by Titan
  • Like 13

Back into my K&K "Simarillo" PA tonight.  I still have plenty of two previous batches remaining but when faced with the choice of them or this rather tasty (though quickly fading) hop treat,  well...

Draught_Simarillo2.jpg

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 12

first of my craft pack been seing all you guys post these and had never seen them before but got one for Xmas.  Brick Lane out of old Dandenong south its sour orange flavour beer. Poor head retention and body but on hot day could see it being soothing. wont rate it out of 10 because probably had too many hard days over holidays to make thst judgement. maby next time the 10 pack has 5 doubles.

20201227_192110.jpg

• Like 3