Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2020?

BlackSands

5 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

I used an liquid yeast for an English bitter years ago turned out fantastic any thoughts what one would suit it i can't remember?

Think my Yeast Supercoach @Greeny1525229549 Greeny suggests that S04 is pretty good for Pommy Ales... am yet to try this one but is on my list... 

Temp range 15-24 is good too... And they recommend a direct sprinkle which makes life easy.

image.thumb.png.dd88277d0f4174d7e8cbde272eab6513.png

Just now, Hairy said:

I like S-04 but don't ferment it at 15 degrees; it will likely stall.

Keep it at the warmer end of the range; at least 20 degrees. You want the esters from it too in an English ale.

Lovely 

Thanks Hairy

But stay below 24.5?

Given the season that might be a little easier now than in Winter ; )

14 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Think my Yeast Supercoach @Greeny1525229549 Greeny suggests that S04 is pretty good for Pommy Ales... am yet to try this one but is on my list... 

Temp range 15-24 is good too... And they recommend a direct sprinkle which makes life easy.

image.thumb.png.dd88277d0f4174d7e8cbde272eab6513.png

thanks I know about s04 but it has tendency to stall someone said if keep it on 20 its fine. I done one with a liquid yeast years ago and was fantastic just cant remember for the life of me what it was.

5 minutes ago, Hairy said:

I like S-04 but don't ferment it at 15 degrees; it will likely stall.

Keep it at the warmer end of the range; at least 20 degrees. You want the esters from it too in an English ale.

Totally agree with hairy. Pitch and hold at 20c and you won't have a problem with the yeast. It will give a great result. I would not go lower than 20c.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, James Lao said:

Hey PM,

Looks delish mate!!

What yeast did you use for this one?

Thinking about doing a Hefeweizen..

Cheers

James

Hey fella. Used Lalbrew Munich Classic.

LALBREW® MUNICH CLASSIC WHEAT BEER YEAST – Three Chins Brewing

Just beware it is a proper Hefe yeast, and can put some flavours in your beer, that you may not be used to.

I got some sulphur, but has now gone. Apparently this is normal. There are ways to avoid it, and one is to let your beer sit in FV for quite some time for the yeast to clean up.

I've read that on the streets in Germany, where wheat beers are banged out 24/7, a slight sulphur flavour is part of the territory. They bang them out faster than kransky snags. 

Just a heads up.

Edited by Pale Man
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey PM,

Looks delish mate!!

Cheers

James

Hey James,

I used WLP300 recently in a Hefe it was delicious having nice banana notes etc I have also used WB06 which was nice but just no banana if that’s what your after. I fermented wlp300 at 22degrees

FYI

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 2

Hey PM,

Looks delish mate!!

Cheers

James

If you want my recipe i'm more than happy to share. It is AG. Probably the simplest beer ive ever made, but the time with AG is in there. 

You are a partial masher, so this would be easy peasy for you with a larger kettle. I would tweak a couple of things, but i'm close to making a perfect Hefe in my books.

10 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

Hey James,

I used WLP300 recently in a Hefe it was delicious having nice banana notes etc I have also used WB06 which was nice but just no banana if that’s what your after. I fermented wlp300 at 22degrees

FYI

WB06 is not a flash yeast for a true Hefe Weizen in my opinion. I'm yet to try out Whyeast liquid which is next on my list. 

Edited by Pale Man

2 hours ago, RDT2 said:

Hey James,

FYI

I'm interested in the 22 degree ferment? Too high. Just me. I'm not so sure that what gives you traditional banana. A proper yeast, put it under stress, or under pitch a tad.

19 degrees is around the mark. The main thing is grist. 55 - 60 percent of a nice wheat malt. The rest ale or pilsner, depending how light or dark you want. 

The tartness is a nice banana ( im not even sure if this is a thing ) the wheat grains go in this beer. Its so simple its not funny. Yeast you use is very very important. Not for banana but to be very low flocculating and let the grain talk. Hop once at 60 minutes to 12 - 15 ibu. You have traditional Wheat Beer.

5 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

I'm interested in the 22 degree ferment? Too high. Just me. I'm not so sure that what gives you traditional banana. A proper yeast, put it under stress, or under pitch a tad.

19 degrees is around the mark. The main thing is grist. 55 - 60 percent of a nice wheat malt. The rest ale or pilsner, depending how light or dark you want. 

The tartness is a nice banana ( im not even sure if this is a thing ) the wheat grains go in this beer. Its so simple its not funny. Yeast you use is very very important. Not for banana but to be very low flocculating and let the grain talk. Hop once at 60 minutes to 12 - 15 ibu. You have traditional Wheat Beer.

Well I got what I wanted banana 🍌🤷‍♂️ and wheat 🌾 

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Fair call, and i'm not bagging you for this. I bet its delicious. But i'm searching for a perfect Hefe. So i'll share my journey. 

I’m pretty sure it was 22 or 20 I need to take notes 📝 but the whole garage smelt like banana when fermenting so I highly recommend the yeast.

• Like 1

I'm about to bottle my Hefeweizen today.

All Weyermann grains

55% Wheat

30% Pilsner

15% Munich

45g Hallertau for 11 IBU

3068 @ 19c

I recently read an article with a quote from the head brewer at Weihenstephan for banana flavours you should be fermenting at 17c for 3068. Last years version I brewed at 17c and could definitely notice banana over clove. This year I fermented at 19c and the sample tasted more clove like.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Hairy said:

I love a good Hefeweizen.

The original Hazy!

Hairy mate do you keg your Hefeweizen or bottle?  And if keg do you gas on up or naturally carb by adding fermentables to the keg on filling and then let go for cuppla weeks at temp? Thanks for your help mate. BB

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Hairy mate do you keg your Hefeweizen or bottle?  And if keg do you gas on up or naturally carb by adding fermentables to the keg on filling and then let go for cuppla weeks at temp? Thanks for your help mate. BB

I have only ever bottled Hefeweizens but would keg my next batch and just gas it up.

Since I have started kegging the only wheats I have made were a couple of American Wheat beers with Sorachi Ace.

• Thanks 1

HL.thumb.jpg.2f0fe506b9b7cbe12cb951d9771a1720.jpg

Helles Lager - At the time I couldn't get weyermann pilsner so I had to use JW export pilsner. A tasty beer bittered with hallertau and W34/70 @ 12c. (had this one last night)

LCPA.thumb.jpg.e75e50661cd4600def2360a80ce6fba8.jpg

LCPA - Gladfield malts with EKG for bittering and our Cascade and Chinook hop flowers late hopped. For this one I tried a backyard "hopback" device with the chinook flowers. Considering purchasing a hop missile/Rocket for our hop flowers to try extract punchy flavours without too much bitterness.  First up will be a recirculated cooling system. This beer is pretty close to the original LCPA.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Black Rock Lager KnK with Galaxy Hops, not bad, bit cloudy, needed fridge space so didn’t CC.

Probably should of in hindsight, cheers RD44🍻

B643D5B7-ABF8-49B3-B7FB-AF3A8FDCEB1A.jpeg

how many days in bottle/keg? are the black rock kits good? I can't justify the extra price my local wants up to $28 for some of their kits.

1 minute ago, jamiek86 said:

how many days in bottle/keg? are the black rock kits good? I can't justify the extra price my local wants up to $28 for some of their kits.

Fermented in temp controlled fridge at 13 degrees for 2 weeks, then raised to 18 for another week. 
Kegged on ( just going to my notes ) 21st November, just put on tap today after cooling & fast carb for 22hrs.

Seem alike it needs a little more time to mature.

Ive used BR quite a bit & find them very nice, I mainly brew Pale Ales these days but with a few stinkers here is brissy thought about a lager.

Highest I’ve paid is around $21 for a BR Pale Ale from my LHBS