Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2020?

BlackSands

first go at the real ale can k+k, pretty much just the recommended BE2 but also first time adding a hop tea at the start. it's not a great beer at all but it's still got a bit of taste going on and i'll enjoy this batch. silly me forgot to write down the amount of hops i actually used, wont make that mistake again. also dry hopped with 28g of enigma. poured from an aldi ginger beer 375ml i've been slowly adding to my rotation of bottles.

IMG_6292.thumb.jpg.c115cce7be5a8e5dc92721549368f78e.jpg

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

One of these things doesnt go with the other 🤣

i guess there's levels for me.. a great beer is something that really captures my attention, this one doesn't but its not a total write off, i like the enigma hop kick which i can sort of identify now that i've used 100g of it.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Stickers said:

i guess there's levels for me.. a great beer is something that really captures my attention, this one doesn't but its not a total write off, i like the enigma hop kick which i can sort of identify now that i've used 100g of it.

I would add a tin of Coopers Liquid Amber Malt - as well as - all of your other ingredients....  plus maybe 500g of Steeped Medium Crystal?  Might help to make it a beer that captures your attention a bit more?

You might know all this stuff already Stickers but @ChristinaS1 Christina put up some nice guidance on steeping and partials over on the 'wots in your fermenter' thread...

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Hilltop hops said:

Hey BB,

Looks great,  did you post your recipe for this IPA? 

Haha Cheers HH Brew notes over there on the Brew Day

Posted November 7   Brew Day Saturday... Something of a Pale Ale... 78% Voyager Veloria Malt and 12% Voyager Wheat...   I usually stick around 63-64 for these in the pure rainwater mash... then FV... smashed to pieces with a big dump of US05 slurry... around 18 degC... raised to 21 to finalise.. then cold crashed for a few days... 

.. is very normal really... just got me Hops Supercoach @Norris! who coached me to throw a bit more hoppage in...

Will provide more details on the festive hopping rates next post when the beer has got a bit more carbonation and I can find my records 🤪 - but is a 50:50 with Chinook and Columbus ; )

Getting a great beer photo is assisted when you can get big skies like these:

image.thumb.png.aa854d5471efde1cddbbc9f090b13fb1.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

24 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

lager or pilsner? keep coming back to this pic it looks so nice and clean and clear.

Technically, neither.  To qualify as a lager/pilsner it needs to be fermented with a lager yeast strain - and also lagered (cold storage).

This is just a very light, hoppy ale fermented with a kveik yeast. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

Technically, neither.  To qualify as a lager/pilsner it needs to be fermented with a lager yeast strain - and also lagered (cold storage).

This is just a very light, hoppy ale fermented with a kveik yeast. 

looks good I can't wait to pump out some proper lagers when get kegging

• Like 1

First taste of a kviek sour ale. A touch undercabonated still but a very nice beer. Will be better once it carbs up a touch more. Nice and Lemony from the lemon drop hops. Sour level is to my liking. I wasn't a fan of the kviek in the pale ale compared to new world strong when I did a side by side so I was struggling to think of ways to use it but it certainly works well in a sour and will be doing another shortly with a few tweaks

20201123_194106.jpg

• Like 5

A festive blast from the past.... from the bottle archive... creamy taschty Lager - from May...  W34/70... slurry dump... 

• Pale Malt
  • Wheat
  • Chocolate Malt (tiny bit.... haha dunno what I was thinkin' !?!) 
  • Acidulated

.... Galaxy for bittering (a tiny bit early like 20g) and then a smidge of Citra 20g with Galaxy 20g late-ish @10 minutes... is very mellow now....hahahaha Yummo!

image.thumb.png.8052585c7a65816eaa7f56d4f2bd4a56.png

• Like 5

3 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

is it your home brew and u couldn't be bothered removing it or make your own?

A little confusing maybe I guess... but I keg mostly now..... but then if there is a drop left - best to bottle up hey - and swingies are the best : )

And sometimes it seems I cannot find them for a while again haha?!

The original is some festive country brew from Deutshi...    got them 'on spesh' and now being re-used once again...

image.thumb.png.f504b4ccccf1f1ab04f26ffb6f7fc0e6.png

• Like 2