Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2020?

BlackSands

Sue's Seahorse Kolsch - Memorial brew for my sister's passing on 12 September 2020.

Sue's daughters named the brew.

Sweet aroma.  Hints of fruits and floral.

Flavour is a really nicely balanced combo of malt, spice, apple, light bitterness.

I like this beer.

PS - Thanks to everybody for the kind words over on another thread where I posted about Sue's passing.

IMG_1983.JPG.a971bda0f6d80f9b076d9a2b818260c4.JPG1853959051_SuesSeahorseKolsch.jpg.4997e98613eef6f56cb1c918319e19fa.jpg

• Like 12
  • Sad 2

And @Shamus O'Sean Shamus mate - sad to hear of your loss - but what a lovely way as a remembrance and focus on all the positives of the time you were together on this earth mate.

Great name and lovely looking brew Cobber - enjoy that lovely brew and some good memories mate.  All the best. BB

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Sue's Seahorse Kolsch - Memorial brew for my sister's passing on 12 September 2020.

Flavour is a really nicely balanced combo of malt, spice, apple, light bitterness.

I like this beer.

PS - Thanks to everybody for the kind words over on another thread where I posted about Sue's passing.

IMG_1983.JPG.a971bda0f6d80f9b076d9a2b818260c4.JPG1853959051_SuesSeahorseKolsch.jpg.4997e98613eef6f56cb1c918319e19fa.jpg

So glad you're celebrating your sisters life with your passion Shamus. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Forgot to take a picture - But after 2 weeks in the bottle I just tried my first All Grain beer. It is a Citra/Amarillo Pale Ale and I am floored.
I had real concerns with this beer just because I had low efficiency and didnt dilute my StarSan with the correct ratio. so wasnt expecting much. How I was wrong.

After brewing Kits and bits for a few years they always just seemed a little disappointing so I decided to go to all grain seeking improvements. All of my Kits & Bits seemed to have a residual sweetness to them that I could never get rid of, which I guess was coming from the LDM. Anytime I added hops it all seemed to not be present and every beer tasted very malty.

So tasting this all grain I was still expecting that "Home brew taste" but......holy crap it tastes like beer....proper beer. The hops are coming out in the aroma AND flavour. It has a bit of bitterness at the end (may have to adjust my hop schedule for no chill) - Not to sound like a complete tosser, but it actually tastes like a beer you could get from the bottle-o.......from a sh*t brewer 😛 

I never though the switch to all grain would make this much of a difference to my beers, but if this is the start and the future sees further improvements - I cant wait to see what those beers taste like.

If anyone is wondering if they should make a switch to all grain....as someone with one single AG beer complete.......the answer is Yes - so far 😛 

• Like 9

A keg of my Kolsch went of to a mates kegerator today. Not before I ripped off a couple of bottles and a smidge as a tester. 

bread and honey on the nose with a malty mid palette and a slight fruit ester from the yeast.  This glass unfortunately doesn’t promote the clarity of this beer but she’s crystal. 

99CF65C0-5690-41F8-9B11-F78966F3B681.jpeg

@Shamus O'Sean reading above I am sorry to hear of your loss. Hope you’re doing well. Rest in Peace Sue.  

Edited by MitchBastard
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Irish Red Ale. It's a little darker than anticipated but that doesn't hurt the taste. Nice creamy head, a malty character, easy on the bitterness and a nice residual sweetness. I'll drop some of the roasted barley next time, which should bring the colour down a bit. 

IMG_6507.thumb.jpg.81a1d02936b87215c711c5ce19fcd834.jpg

IMG_6508.jpg

• Like 7

On 10/22/2020 at 6:49 PM, Bearded Burbler said:

Sneaky Thursday IPA... squeezing the last few drops out of the Columbus IPA keg... might be the wrong shaped cup but is tasting mighty good all the same ; )

Cheers Brewers!

image.thumb.png.d771a26d40e9030e1fbfe849f13e25fa.png

I love the scenery in your photos. So amazing.

• Like 2

On 10/23/2020 at 3:32 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

I like this beer.

PS - Thanks to everybody for the kind words over on another thread where I posted about Sue's passing./

It's so sad to hear this. There is something about that date. It made me cry to be honest. Stay strong mate. 

IMG_6512.thumb.jpg.c7988f45772a63baaf7898fc8862d214.jpg

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Fergy1987 said:

I just tried my first All Grain beer. It is a Citra/Amarillo Pale Ale and I am floored.

Yeeeehaaaa Fergs....   Congrats Mate!!!

Welcome aboard the good ship HMAS All-Grainer.... 

Great to hear of a wonderful start - and now - no going back!!! 

And mate without being one mite conceited - when you get it right - All-Grainers done well are way better than commercial Micros.... 

Woooooooooooooohooooooo Luvyewrwork Fergs!!!!!

23 hours ago, Fergy1987 said:

But after 2 weeks in the bottle I just tried my first All Grain beer. It is a Citra/Amarillo Pale Ale and I am floored.

Yes the difference is stark isn't it. The extract brews are great and even though people tell you that the grain is a step up it is not until you go to grain you realise how big the divide between extract and grain is. Congrats.... 

Real ale partial mash made with imperial Kvieking. About my 7th or 8th drink of this. Didn't dry hop but has this fruity taste like it was dry hopped a touch. Not a bad beer but not a massive fan of it. I think the yeast would be great in an NEIPA and I am really keen to try it on a sour when I get around to making one. 

16036111552959111608918795792318.jpg

• Like 5