Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2020?

BlackSands

Stepping to the AM is going down nice. It has been in the keg about 2 weeks+ and it has hit its stride, it is just straight juice with, wait for it, enough bitterness to know it is a beer. I love it. getting a lot of pineapple, orange, orange pith, and some nice florals coming through. 

Wife says it is a cracker, so that is high enough praise for this brewer.

I am getting set up for an overnight mash and a short brew day tomorrow.

Good brewing and happy Friday

Norris

20201030_181540.jpg

• Like 6

20201030_215742.thumb.jpg.3817e035c89e01a94ee8db3b2c2cb70b.jpg

St Peter's Ruby Red Ale kit by Muntons. This was my second brew, after the Coopers ESB recipe. The recommended time for conditioning was 4-6 weeks, but the ones I initially opened then were a bit inconsistent - some were ok but others were a bit 'meh'.  I was a bit concerned that this one was going to be a bit of a flop. However after 8 weeks in the bottle every single one I have had has been great, so it seems like they just needed some extra time to come good 👍

Edited by lickedthestamp
  • Like 10

51 minutes ago, Fergy1987 said:

Here she is in all her glory. My first all grain in all its glory. Citra and Amarillo are two of my favourite hops I think. Probably a little on the thin side but makes it easy drinking. 

IMG_20201031_185135_895.jpg

Awesome awesome. I'm all graining first time on Monday.

• Like 2

Citra mosaic and sabro hazy IPA. 

They say Sabro gives coconut. In my limited experience and palate sabro has done nothing but strip the flavour from the Citra and mosaic. It's still a very smashable beer but last time I use sabro. I may as well have dry hopped it with a rock melon and be done. I detest rock melon 

IMG20201031174552.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

So the lack of beer had me at uncle Dan’s today, browsing the endless aisles of beers, stumbled into the cool room to find a carton of green bells passion fruit sour. Yeah I got a spare $80... it’s hot, humid and I want something fun. And this is fun. I thought hmm...this could be funner. So I kegged 4L of it and pumped it with nitro. Smooths out the sourness, but it’s still fun. It’s creamy, it’s tart, it’s really really good. 

B7A39C05-9C65-4824-B66F-DF5C69E553B5.jpeg

• Like 7

58 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

They say Sabro gives coconut. In my limited experience and palate sabro has done nothing but strip the flavour from the Citra and mosaic. It's still a very smashable beer but last time I use sabro. I may as well have dry hopped it with a rock melon and be done. I detest rock melon 

I should not have laughed.  I just bought a Sabro hopped Full Wort Kit to try.  I have never done a FWK.  Might be a waste of money and might put me off ever doing another FWK.  Maybe I should have got the Citra or Mosaic one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Cosmo2450 said:

and I want something fun.

Was the inspiration behind my Catharina Passionfruit Sour....

8 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I should not have laughed.  I just bought a Sabro hopped Full Wort Kit to try. 

Agent orange is how we should deal with Sabro.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

Was the inspiration behind my Catharina Passionfruit Sour....

Not a fan either? All the hype, I thought my beer would remind me of a bounty bar. Instead it tastes like all the rock melons that poisoned folk and were recalled last year 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

47 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Not a fan either? All the hype, I thought my beer would remind me of a bounty bar. Instead it tastes like all the rock melons that poisoned folk and were recalled last year 

Now I am really worried😟

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Fergy1987 said:

Here she is in all her glory. My first all grain in all its glory. Citra and Amarillo are two of my favourite hops I think. Probably a little on the thin side but makes it easy drinking. 

Wooooohooooo Fergs!!!  On the good ship HMAS All-Grainer!!! 

Things will only get better mate with a bit of experimentation....  but already a great step forward mate!

Bit thin - try upping the malt bill - and I would definitely encourage trial adding 500g or more of malted wheat mate - just try it....  ; )

Luvyerwork and all the best for your next few brewskis mate!

BB

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Citra mosaic and sabro hazy IPA. 

Ha ha funny Paddy - I like rockmelon - ha ha 😝

Looks like a grand full bodied lovely AG drop besides the fruity 'rocky' notes hey haha (some of us word-shortening Aussies call rockmelon rocky for short... not your fruit mate by the sounds)

You could perchance get a big pot sized SS Tea Ball - fill with Mosaic - and keg hop - and see what difference that makes?  Might bring things back around to more Mozzie and less Sabs?

Did that with one of mine recently and changed things up nicely.  Cheers. BB

• Like 1

On a more positive note ha ha

(forget the dirty old Sabro and I won't be buying any after @Ben 10 @PaddyBrew2 Benny and Paddy's less than kind words - thanks for the warning and good luck @Shamus O'Sean SOS maybe it will work out ok yet 🤔)

here is the Pseudo Lager... cold brewed US05 with a Bo-Pils dominant "Lager Malt and Hop Bill"... is very very nice... 

Stormy day and then a lovely golden sunset light at the end of the day last evening - lovely clear brew with no whirlfloc fishguts or ground polypipe  or filtering required.... 

Rolling in at a mere 7.1% ABV.... big bold and beautiful  ; )

image.thumb.png.f80f7153e1e3b06a84294c75c7101863.png

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Now I am really worried😟

I've got good things from Sabro - for what it's worth. 

A pale ale with equal amounts of Azacca, Eldorado and Sabro at flameout and dry hop. The coconut really came through and complimented the Azacca and Eldorado really well. In my opinion at least haha. One of my favourite brews.

Hopefully the FWK is good.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

On a more positive note ha ha

(forget the dirty old Sabro and I won't be buying any after @Ben 10 @PaddyBrew2 Benny and Paddy's less than kind words - thanks for the warning and good luck @Shamus O'Sean SOS maybe it will work out ok yet 🤔)

here is the Pseudo Lager... cold brewed US05 with a Bo-Pils dominant "Lager Malt and Hop Bill"... is very very nice... 

Stormy day and then a lovely golden sunset light at the end of the day last evening - lovely clear brew with no whirlfloc fishguts or ground polypipe  or filtering required.... 

Rolling in at a mere 7.1% ABV.... big bold and beautiful  ; )

image.thumb.png.f80f7153e1e3b06a84294c75c7101863.png

Holy Carp BB, thats a beer right there boy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Now I am really worried😟

I did a single hop sabro IPA and it turned out blooooody lovely. I didn't get coconut, more so cream and probably mint. I would also say some melon came through now that it was mentioned. Every glass was delicious.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Popo said:

A pale ale with equal amounts of Azacca, Eldorado and Sabro at flameout and dry hop. The coconut really came through and complimented the Azacca and Eldorado really well. In my opinion at least haha. One of my favourite brews.

Not sure why, but I was thinking of using El Dorado as a dry hop or hop steep with this beer.

34 minutes ago, Lettucegrove said:

I did a single hop sabro IPA and it turned out blooooody lovely. I didn't get coconut, more so cream and probably mint. I would also say some melon came through now that it was mentioned. Every glass was delicious.

It sounds like this FWK is a single hop Sabro brew.

Between the above two options, I am thinking of doing them both.  I might split this beer into two craft fermenters.  One I will leave as is.  The other I will do a hop steep using El Dorado.

• Like 2

Black IPA. What a great beer, burst carb, first pour. Well balanced. Will brew this again.
SG: 1.056
FG: 1.012
60min warrior to 50 ibu
Flameout: equal amounts of Centenial & Eldorado to additional 10 ibu
Grist: Ale 60%, Dark Munich 20%, Midnight Wheat 8%, Cararoma 10% Carafa Special I 2%.
Yeast: Voss Kveik

20201104_091249.jpg

• Like 5

Ha ha October 2018.... doing a bit of tidy up and found this shot... those were the glory days of KnK and bottling...  here in an ex-Aldi Flensburger Weissbier swingtop ; )

Maybe not the depth and ooomph of full bodied AG but my memory suggests this was a lovely refreshing beer thanks to Coopers 😝

image.thumb.png.c4c4f01c2c8ef33dbc7a4d16eee988a5.png

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 4