Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2020?

BlackSands

On 11/28/2020 at 5:20 PM, jamiek86 said:

I thought it would only be during primary ferment it done this

Nope - both Primary and Secondary Ferments - and that is the beauty of naturally carbing a keg - means you get rid all/any Oxygen that way ; )

Freshly kegged hazy boy. Pilsner, Munich, oats an wheat.

Eldorado, Idaho an galaxy. Never been a big fan of galaxy, but since I had it, I sprinkled some in and I’m glad I did. Just gives a little bit of lift the other two hops. 

The ospaug kviek chewed through ferment in 1 day running at 30deg. Bout 8 days grain to glass.

FA03BF85-1FCF-48C4-AA7F-63D8B8ABBFEA.jpeg

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Titan said:

What did you reckon of the verdant. I thought it was a magical yeast, very impressed.

So far so good. I quite like it.

I am using it again in my current brew.

i might have to go onto Cheap Yeast and load up

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Now getting stuck into my AG Hefeweizen. Absolutely stunning beer. But has something hanging over it that's annoying me. It's got a tad of sulphur smell. It's been kegged for 3 days and I want to drink it in true Hefe style, young. So next time I have to try and avoid this slight sulphur. 

IMG20201201090921.jpg

• Like 3

I've been trying to give the latest 2 time to mature in the kegs - so much so my other 2 kegs ran out. So now I'm drinking my latest XPA and Fixation attempt. (un)Fortunately they are both recipients of the normal recipe along with low carb enzyme so they come in at 9.6% and 9.3%. 3 of them and I'm well on the way! 😄

This is the XPA...

image.thumb.png.4c4ba60c6d94e567215731e6793bef17.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Journeyman said:

I've been trying to give the latest 2 time to mature in the kegs - so much so my other 2 kegs ran out. So now I'm drinking my latest XPA and Fixation attempt. (un)Fortunately they are both recipients of the normal recipe along with low carb enzyme so they come in at 9.6% and 9.3%. 3 of them and I'm well on the way! 😄

This is the XPA...

image.thumb.png.4c4ba60c6d94e567215731e6793bef17.png

was it you on here saying carared didn't make it a very red beer but instead caraoma? or another one. what's the usual quantity to improve head retention on kit beer without too much sweetness 100 grams 30 min steep? even just read that caraamber can add red colours to beer? lol remember last time I brewed was adding some specialty malt like this think was too much as more that 4 weeks in bottle sweetness really took over

Edited by jamiek86
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Pale Man said:

I want to drink it in true Hefe style, young. So next time I have to try and avoid this slight sulphur. 

Not an expert by any means - but maybe a temp raise at the end - just to metabolise and volatilise any unwanteds out of the brew?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

remember last time I brewed was adding some specialty malt like this think was too much as more that 4 weeks in bottle sweetness really took over

It was someone else talking about what adds red to the beer. I don't recall saying anything on that subject.

The Coopers XPA recipe has 400g cold-steeped crystal in it - the XPA above has a partial mash of 500g caramalt +900g Coopers Ale malt. There is a little sweetness but not much - it might increase with age I guess.

When I was starting out I used to add the can contents & LDME into the boil with about 15 mins to go. That seemed to produce red beers if that's what you are after. 😄

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

It was someone else talking about what adds red to the beer. I don't recall saying anything on that subject.

The Coopers XPA recipe has 400g cold-steeped crystal in it - the XPA above has a partial mash of 500g caramalt +900g Coopers Ale malt. There is a little sweetness but not much - it might increase with age I guess.

When I was starting out I used to add the can contents & LDME into the boil with about 15 mins to go. That seemed to produce red beers if that's what you are after. 😄

yes I ended up finding it on another thread its not really the colour that's important but the body it adds. I had a look at cheaky peak website there caraamber and caraoma describes it as adding redness to beer more than carared especially for caraamber thats just wierd. 

On 11/28/2020 at 5:26 PM, Bearded Burbler said:

So this is the 50:50 IPA coached by @Norris! thanks Norris...

And I think @Hilltop hops HH you were asking about the hopppppping... herewith inf below - is clearing up in the keg nicely:

•    50 Columbus@15
•    50Col+50Chinook@FO 
•    Then 50 LH 50:50 with Col and Chin
•    200 all up

Cheers and Beers Brewers!

BB

image.thumb.png.c6d16a71d1e87ffcd70ef878537f86ec.png----

Woooooops and had 50g of Col - Chin 50/50 ratio in the keg as well...  so 250g all up... apologies for any confusion caused 😬

And am thinking about re-using the keg hops for bittering in another brew (thanks @Ben 10 and @ChristinaS1 for ideas)

On 12/1/2020 at 7:15 AM, Pale Man said:

Now getting stuck into my AG Hefeweizen. Absolutely stunning beer. But has something hanging over it that's annoying me. It's got a tad of sulphur smell. It's been kegged for 3 days and I want to drink it in true Hefe style, young. So next time I have to try and avoid this slight sulphur. 

IMG20201201090921.jpg

Hey PM,

Looks delish mate!!

What yeast did you use for this one?

Thinking about doing a Hefeweizen..

Cheers

James

Edited by James Lao
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, James Lao said:

Thinking about doing a Hefeweizen..

Hey James 

Of course @Pale Man PM must advise.... 

But in the meantime - I would recommend the liquid yeast W3068.... and thought PM might have been using that... but not certain.

https://wyeastlab.com/yeast-strain/weihenstephan-wheat

Cheers for now - and yes me too - it's time for a HW no doubt ; )

• Like 1