Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2020?

BlackSands

Nothing on tap... hardly a bottle left... these are indeed ongoing stormy times... had an aged lurking growler with some Schwarzbier - not loadsa bubbles... just a spritzig - but still tastes good...  not that far off the gas in a hand pumped real ale... Anyway whacked the rest into a baby keg and hit it with some gas... would have been much better if had patience to have left it overnight but these are desperate times indeed ; )  It would be good if you could get a growler with better CO2 retention I would suggest... 🤔

image.thumb.png.aedf9d167e85cee827e9b24649bda0de.png

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Nothing on tap... hardly a bottle left... these are indeed ongoing stormy times... had an aged lurking growler with some Schwarzbier - not loadsa bubbles... just a spritzig - but still tastes good...  not that far off the gas in a hand pumped real ale... Anyway whacked the rest into a baby keg and hit it with some gas... would have been much better if had patience to have left it overnight but these are desperate times indeed ; )  It would be good if you could get a growler with better CO2 retention I would suggest... 🤔

gee you really must have a beard did that bottle have a cork in it? you escaped from Sherwood Forrest and left the rest of the merry men behind? you need to put xxxx on the bottle for the strength of it like old days before it was a weak commercial brand

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Whats going on BB, i thought your house was waterfalls of beer 😁

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Hoegaarden clone while watching the wallabies be inconsistent as always. Nice easy drinker and cheap as to make.

1607161538481364168860430482874.jpg

What's the recipe mate. Mine is pretty similar to hoegarden.  Pale malt, flaked oats and flaked wheat. Saaz to bitter with coriander seeds and bitter orange peel. Had to use the MJ dry Witbeir yeast but it ain't bad.  Couldn't get my hands on the liquid stuff 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Whats going on BB, i thought your house was waterfalls of beer

Haha PM - you got it - the operative word being WAS 🤣

Got a lovely W34/70 Pils going up for a DiAc Rest... a Rye Ale in Cold Crash... and some W3068 yeast in culture.... so am working hard to catch up ; )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

What's the recipe mate. Mine is pretty similar to hoegarden.  Pale malt, flaked oats and flaked wheat. Saaz to bitter with coriander seeds and bitter orange peel. Had to use the MJ dry Witbeir yeast but it ain't bad.  Couldn't get my hands on the liquid stuff 

Hey paddy. I do mine with raw wheat from the produce store. 3 bucks for 2 kgs. Cereal mash for 30 mins at 60c in half the water then bring up to 95c for 20 mins. Add the rest of the water which takes it down to mid 60s again and add the pilsener malt. I put 20g coriander in the boil and 15g in a boil with the sugar for carbonation. I also naturally carbonate whether kegged or bottled. I have also used MJ wit yeast and I quite like it.

Screenshot_20201206-132931_BeerSmith 3.jpg

Screenshot_20201206-132948_BeerSmith 3.jpg

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

raw wheat from the produce store. 3 bucks for 2 kgs. Cereal mash for 30 mins at 60c in half the water then bring up to 95c for 20 mins

You mill it before the cereal mash Greeny?

Just now, Greeny1525229549 said:

I do a coarse crush on it. Otherwise it mucks up my robobrew and has actually stopped the mash because it caked on the bottom. 

I am planning on shortly doing a HW as you know - have had issues with caking on the element with Weizen... all malted grains... maybe I should crush the Barley as normal and then go more coarse with the Wheat do you think Greeny?   Am just a basket brewer - BIAB style - no fancy electronic machinery at my place ; )

But have had trouble with wheat induced porridge/sludge on the element before...  any thoughts on overcoming this issue?

It's only been in the bottle 12 days but I was itching to try it. Coopers Australian Pale Ale, BE2 with some steeped coriander. I feel it's a little green and will improve with longer bottle aging. The coriander seems to have added a little extra bitterness.

This is the beer I added seeds and foliage from the now decrepit coriander plant in the background of the photo. Am I enthused about this beer? Not really but it's not the worst beer I've ever made. It's quite drinkable and with it's bitter bite it will most likely be enjoyed best on a hot day.

IMG20201206151451.jpg

Edited by MUZZY
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Maybe you need more kegs mate or buy a 60L fermenter & do a double batch 🤣🤣🤪🤪

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

@MUZZY got those same crown lager glasses at my joint the shape of it suits a pilsner or lager. probably your wheat style too with the narrowness at bottom and head production 

I wouldn't normally drink from that glass, Jamie. I was just pouring off a small one to start with to sample it because it was a bit of an experimental beer for me. My usual glass is a handled giant that takes a full long neck. Yes, I'm a pig! Oink! I won't be using the Crownie glass again either. I discovered a crack in it after pouring that beer. 😞 

• Sad 2

7 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

I wouldn't normally drink from that glass, Jamie. I was just pouring off a small one to start with to sample it because it was a bit of an experimental beer for me. My usual glass is a handled giant that takes a full long neck. Yes, I'm a pig! Oink! I won't be using the Crownie glass again either. I discovered a crack in it after pouring that beer. 😞 

I haven't used mine for a while either got about half a dozen of them 2 are on outside table getting dirty others might be in shed somewhere. every time I see ones on table I think ill clean them up for when I get to my pilsner batch. I've got boxes and boxes of assorted beer glasses but the missus wrecked half in dishwasher stripped the logos off them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

@MUZZY do you drink from a big German Oktoberfest glass i got few of them too but now got kids dont use get me too hammered

Yeah it's huge but I use it because I can pour off a whole bottle in one pour. I found when I poured bottles in multiple pours it would stir up the sediment in the base of the bottles and I'd get excessive flatulence. It means I drink too much on occasions but I smell much nicer. 😄 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

I am planning on shortly doing a HW as you know - have had issues with caking on the element with Weizen... all malted grains... maybe I should crush the Barley as normal and then go more coarse with the Wheat do you think Greeny?   Am just a basket brewer - BIAB style - no fancy electronic machinery at my place ; )

But have had trouble with wheat induced porridge/sludge on the element before...  any thoughts on overcoming this issue?

Yeah stay away from fine milled wheat has been my only way to overcome it mate. Seems to work.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Yeah it's huge but I use it because I can pour off a whole bottle in one pour. I found when I poured bottles in multiple pours it would stir up the sediment in the base of the bottles and I'd get excessive flatulence. It means I drink too much on occasions but I smell much nicer. 😄 

good idea i did notice if drinking pots or scooners it get stirred up by second pour

• Thanks 1

Ended up calling this Deuce American Pale Ale (on account of the the two American Ales in the grist.

Also thought it time for a photo because the keg could blow any day now.

A touch of complex aromas: Citrus, pine, malty.  

Flavour has similar attributes.

El Dorado and Mosaic combo at each stage.

I am really happy with this one. 7/10

IMG_2061.JPG.1b0026ede9efbc6836bace2e72edd68f.JPG

• Like 5