Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2020?

BlackSands

7 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Ended up calling this Deuce American Pale Ale (on account of the the two American Ales in the grist.

Also thought it time for a photo because the keg could blow any day now.

A touch of complex aromas: Citrus, pine, malty.  

Flavour has similar attributes.

El Dorado and Mosaic combo at each stage.

I am really happy with this one. 7/10

IMG_2061.JPG.1b0026ede9efbc6836bace2e72edd68f.JPG

Really happy but only 7 out of 10 rating? You might be too hard a judge. It looks at least an 8 and that's without even tasting it. 😉 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Really happy but only 7 out of 10 rating? You might be too hard a judge. It looks at least an 8 and that's without even tasting it. 😉 

It is pretty good.  Maybe I am a bit harsh.  You might have seen my posts over on the Beer Advent Calendars thread.  I am comparing my brews to some of them and see that I still have a way to go.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

It is pretty good.  Maybe I am a bit harsh.  You might have seen my posts over on the Beer Advent Calendars thread.  I am comparing my brews to some of them and see that I still have a way to go.

Don't undersell yourself, great man. Beer tasting is a very subjective thing. You probably make beers as good as or even better than some that are offered for retail sale.
For instance, I went out for dinner with friends last night at The Grove in NE Adelaide. Excellent food and service. Tried a number of their tap beers. One from a craft brewery called Mismatch. It was ok but I thought to myself that some of my KnKs are better than this. This isn't a slight on Mismatch, just an example of the subjectivity of someone's tastes.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MUZZY said:

Mismatch

Thanks Muzzy.  You are right, I am my own worst critic.  Not every beer needs to be a hop bomb or as black as pitch to be a great beer.

The beer you had yesterday, was it the Mismatch Lager by any chance?  I did lunch yesterday with some work friends from years ago.  I had one of the Mismatch Lagers and though it was very very pale, it was a really nice beer.  Some of the boys were not happy with the craft beers there, so they went and got a slab of VB.  I have not had a VB for at least a year.  Anyway, after some encouragement I had one.  It might be a bit cliché on here to say it, but I did not like it very much.  It had virtually no aroma.  The bitterness tasted, I can't describe it, acrid or harsh comes to mind.  Almost as if something was added to make it bitter, rather than just being part of the recipe.  Compared to the Mismatch, the VB was not a good beer.  The boys loved it though. 😁 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

The beer you had yesterday, was it the Mismatch Lager by any chance? 

No, it was their Session Ale. It was just too hoppy for my liking. I then had a Furphy which I enjoyed more but the best beer I had and I continued to keep drinking through the night was the good ol' Coopers Pale. It might sound like a bit of brown nosing on this forum but it's the truth and perhaps my palate is now just more accustomed to the Coopers styles.
Carlton Draught was my go-to beer in pubs not that long ago and even though I was with a mate on Saturday who used to be a CUB rep/manager I couldn't bring myself to order one and join him in his enthusiasm for CD. I just knew I wouldn't enjoy it. Maybe if it was a balmy night I might have but it was quite cool. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

@BlackSands do you think it could be stripping the flavour worse than Nottingham because of higher temp faster ferment time? did you add hops after FG reached?

They were all late boil/steep hop additions.  I haven't personally noticed a major issue with hop flavour stripping with Nottingham, but as it happens this is actually a very similar recipe to one where the former beer actually maintained a nice level of hoppy goodness from start to finish.   Actually it was one of my favourite beers. This version, I reduced the small amount roasted barley malt used - 50g instead of 100g - mostly just for colour adjustment, and because of supply problems had to sub one of the hops.  While it would be reasonable to expect the flavour to be somewhat different I didn't expect the overall hop presence to be so much less.       

59 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

so @BlackSands you have used this yeast before and it was hoppy enough? it's hard to pit finger on sometimes maby inconsistency with hops?

It definitely falls into the "Who Knows? camp.  A prior, but quite different kveik brew was hopped to the same level (different hops) and it's still nice and hoppy many weeks later.  I really have no idea why the hops are so subdued in this latest one... particularly given the hops were Neslon and Motueka.  Still, there's always the very real possibility that a tasting tomorrow will yield an entirely different impression!   😃

35 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

It definitely falls into the "Who Knows? camp.  A prior, but quite different kveik brew was hopped to the same level (different hops) and it's still nice and hoppy many weeks later.  I really have no idea why the hops are so subdued in this latest one... particularly given the hops were Neslon and Motueka.  Still, there's always the very real possibility that a tasting tomorrow will yield an entirely different impression!   😃

most likely otherwise its paid for drink it anyway like me and my watery morgans golden sazz atm nice taste but like I used sugar not malt

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Stickers said:

coopers lager can, be2 and 1kg maris otter mash addition and cascade in the boil and dry hop stage, verdant yeast. this is a really nice beer.

IMG_6394.thumb.jpg.62b624898fba73e34d46e6ae11bcd0bb.jpg

Nice looking beer with a nice head. How's the head retention? So even the not that great Coopers Lager can can make a decent beer if you pimp it up a bit 🙂 

Is this a Ramones mug I see there in the pic? Looks like it says "Joey"...yes, I see this sort of sh*t 🙂 

• Haha 1

Hi Legends,

This is getting towards the end of the keg of my Partial No7 MACC  IPA, (Mosaic, Amarillo, Citra and Cascade)

Only had 1.1kg of grain in this one and noticed it at the glass, not as good as my other partials  with 2.2kgs in the brew.

Still a bloody nice beer though!

Cheers

James

BA860A4C-1C27-42BA-AAD7-AAD55BE6257D.jpeg

Edited by James Lao
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, James Lao said:

Hi Legends,

This is getting towards the end of the keg of my Partial No7 MACC  IPA, (Mosaic, Amarillo, Citra and Cascade)

Only had 1.1kg of grain in this one and noticed it at the glass, not as good as my other partials  with 2.2kgs in the brew.

Still a bloody nice beer though!

Cheers

James

BA860A4C-1C27-42BA-AAD7-AAD55BE6257D.jpeg

Must’ve been bloody good James, you got through 2/3 of the glass before the photo!!👍🍻

• Haha 2

Disaster - Drought has struck at Burbler Brewing...  demand has outstripped supply, despite the fact that  financial investment in key areas has allowed that there are adequate facilities in place and grain and hop resources for a reasonable equilibrium to be reached... then there is the indisputable complex factor known as "life" that continues to confusticate matters and disrupt beer production forecasts and actuals... so tonight... shoulda been brewing today and blew it.... fortunately had a big ol' 1125 Canadian Swingtop with IPA lurking in the fridge - oh what AG HB nectar... woohoooo and the @Greeny1525229549  Greeny coached W3068 Starter next door in the photo hopefully will get utilised shortly in the HW : ) 

Hopefully if it rests at 2 deg C a little longer it should be fine?

image.thumb.png.f770af5e9be115d44ba4de8cadd8d1d7.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Disaster - Drought has struck at Burbler Brewing...  demand has outstripped supply, despite the fact that  financial investment in key areas has allowed that there are adequate facilities in place and grain and hop resources for a reasonable equilibrium to be reached... then there is the indisputable complex factor known as "life" that continues to confusticate matters and disrupt beer production forecasts and actuals... so tonight... shoulda been brewing today and blew it.... fortunately had a big ol' 1125 Canadian Swingtop with IPA lurking in the fridge - oh what AG HB nectar... woohoooo and the @Greeny1525229549  Greeny coached W3068 Starter next door in the photo hopefully will get utilised shortly in the HW : ) 

Hopefully if it rests at 2 deg C a little longer it should be fine?

image.thumb.png.f770af5e9be115d44ba4de8cadd8d1d7.png

what's been stopping the brewing mate?

• Haha 1

Back to scavenging the last drops of brew left in the Alehouse.... dear oh dear.... terror what happens when consumption outstrips supply...

Here a festive old ale that was lurking in the back of a fridge - last drops of a brew that did not fit into keg obviously.... went into an Aldi Sodastream bottle hahaha!?

Waste not want not! : )

Woohooo - not the best spritzig - can't beat crown cork capped Coops bottles.... or kegs hey.... but still quite drinkable haha!  Believe it is an Amber Ale remnant and although not in its mightiest form still quite drinkable and way better than commercially available megaswill filth no doubt there 😋

image.thumb.png.35388e40ced7d1765c1cd4016fbe1774.png

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 2