Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2020?

BlackSands

1 hour ago, Hilltop hops said:

One for @Bearded Burbler IPA in this glass. All kinds of wrong but I like the glass reminds me of a big day in Hahndorf! 

Lovely lovely looking brew HH!!! Wow!  Luvyerwork!

And mate if it tastes good in a Franziskaner glass then.... bring it on.  🥳

Haha my Franziskaner glass comes all the way from Zminga @Aussiekraut as me and me mate AK like to call Munich...  but it looks pretty similar to yours haha!

Am working on some HW at the moment so hopefully in the not too distant future I shall have a HW to fill into my Weissbier Glass : )

What was your IPA malt bill HH?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Lovely lovely looking brew HH!!! Wow!  Luvyerwork!

And mate if it tastes good in a Franziskaner glass then.... bring it on.  🥳

Haha my Franziskaner glass comes all the way from Zminga @Aussiekraut as me and me mate AK like to call Munich...  but it looks pretty similar to yours haha!

Am working on some HW at the moment so hopefully in the not too distant future I shall have a HW to fill into my Weissbier Glass : )

What was your IPA malt bill HH?

Used Kveik for this one, hasn't cleared up at all after 4 weeks in keg but super tasty. 

Screenshot_20201106-200523_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Back to scavenging the last drops of brew left in the Alehouse.... dear oh dear.... terror what happens when consumption outstrips supply...

Here a festive old ale that was lurking in the back of a fridge - last drops of a brew that did not fit into keg obviously.... went into an Aldi Sodastream bottle hahaha!?

Waste not want not! : )

Woohooo - not the best spritzig - can't beat crown cork capped Coops bottles.... or kegs hey.... but still quite drinkable haha!  Believe it is an Amber Ale remnant and although not in its mightiest form still quite drinkable and way better than commercially available megaswill filth no doubt there 😋

image.thumb.png.35388e40ced7d1765c1cd4016fbe1774.png

You're going to have to revert to buying a beer BB until your Weizen is ready. Quite common for me.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

You're going to have to revert to buying a beer BB until your Weizen is ready. Quite common for me.

NO WAY.  Buying beer is a criminal offence in the Burbler Nation. 

Well... ok... unless it is our mates @Hairy Rusty Penny maybe....

Narrrgh I have like 50L in two brews near end of ferment not far from kegging and the HW just had flame-out Saaz....

Should have a few days on the non-alc drinks too so hopefully will make it through - and am planning on cracking out two more AGs in the next days so am working hard to catch up 😝

Fortunately have got kegs- if it was the good ol' days of secondary ferment in bottles I would be well and truly phaaarqued.

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

54 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

My Hefeweizen very nice beer and clear when poured carefully, with nice banana 🍌 aroma. WLP300 yeast used 😋

Hey RD nice beer!

Not to be a Darryl-Downer.... but.... it is more what we would call @Aussiekraut  Krystal.... 

Lovely looking beer RD no doubt mate but it is a Weizen at this point... as there is nil Hefe in the glass as far as I can tell...

The thing about a HW is that has the Hefe (yeast) in with the beer - like Coopers Red (Sparkling Ale)... 

So the game is to pour the yeast in with it...  But hey it is all about personal choice and taste in these matters : )

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Hey RD nice beer!

Not to be a Darryl-Downer.... but.... it is more what we would call @Aussiekraut  Krystal.... 

Lovely looking beer RD no doubt mate but it is a Weizen at this point... as there is nil Hefe in the glass as far as I can tell...

The thing about a HW is that has the Hefe (yeast) in with the beer - like Coopers Red (Sparkling Ale)... 

So the game is to pour the yeast in with it...  But hey it is all about personal choice and taste in these matters : )

I could stir it up if you want all my wheat beers end up crystal clear where as my other beers don’t end up as clear unless I use something to clarify 🤷‍♂️Anyway here’s a Hefeweizen for ya if I shit the bed tonight (yeast) it’s your fault🤣 I had to work hard to make it cloudy still. I believe the Krystal is very popular. I was never a wheat beer fan but for a simple beer it’s growing on me 🍺 

4C22F930-9B2B-4520-B35E-47251E81EC09.jpeg

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

I could stir it up if you want all my wheat beers end up crystal clear

Haha it is not me cob - it is the style.... Hefe is Yeast in German - Weizen is Wheat... so a HW is a wheat beer with yeast.... classic Bavarian wheat beer style... correct @Aussiekraut AK?

You get a Weizen in Germany also called Kristall - apologies re spelling in the post above - but yeah - Kristall - is like english Crystal - no cloudiness - no yeast.....  but I think Kristall is less popular in Deutschland and more so outside of Bayern - more for the Northerners @Aussiekraut AK ?

Kristallweizen gehört zu den Weizenbieren und zeichnet sich durch seine Klarheit und die prickelnde Kohlensäure aus. 

But is a very different beer. 

And yeah the way forward is to stir the yeast in bottles up a bit before cooling in the fridge - and then purposely swirl all the yeast into the glass....

Was not my idea... that's a German Bavarian Weizen thing...  long tradition.

But not everyone likes that style - so you can drink yours Kristall if you like it that way - from memory in Deutschi they also used to throw in a slice of fresh lemon into Kristall...  but not into HW. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Haha it is not me cob - it is the style.... Hefe is Yeast in German - Weizen is Wheat... so a HW is a wheat beer with yeast.... classic Bavarian wheat beer style... correct @Aussiekraut AK?

You get a Weizen in Germany also called Kristall - apologies re spelling in the post above - but yeah - Kristall - is like english Crystal - no cloudiness - no yeast.....  but I think Kristall is less popular in Deutschland and more so outside of Bayern - more for the Northerners @Aussiekraut AK ?

Kristallweizen gehört zu den Weizenbieren und zeichnet sich durch seine Klarheit und die prickelnde Kohlensäure aus. 

But is a very different beer. 

And yeah the way forward is to stir the yeast in bottles up a bit before cooling in the fridge - and then purposely swirl all the yeast into the glass....

Was not my idea... that's a German Bavarian Weizen thing...  long tradition.

But not everyone likes that style - so you can drink yours Kristall if you like it that way - from memory in Deutschi they also used to throw in a slice of fresh lemon into Kristall...  but not into HW. 

I know the difference it tastes good either way maybe too good.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

I could stir it up if you want all my wheat beers end up crystal clear where as my other beers don’t end up as clear unless I use something to clarify 🤷‍♂️Anyway here’s a Hefeweizen for ya if I shit the bed tonight (yeast) it’s your fault🤣 I had to work hard to make it cloudy still. I believe the Krystal is very popular. I was never a wheat beer fan but for a simple beer it’s growing on me 🍺 

4C22F930-9B2B-4520-B35E-47251E81EC09.jpeg

That looks very very tasty to me. Love the glass too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

NO WAY.  Buying beer is a criminal offence in the Burbler Nation. 

Well... ok... unless it is our mates @Hairy Rusty Penny maybe....

Narrrgh I have like 50L in two brews near end of ferment not far from kegging and the HW just had flame-out Saaz....

Should have a few days on the non-alc drinks too so hopefully will make it through - and am planning on cracking out two more AGs in the next days so am working hard to catch up 😝

Fortunately have got kegs- if it was the good ol' days of secondary ferment in bottles I would be well and truly phaaarqued.

That’s why I have 14 kegs, always have an ongoing supply 🤪🤪🤪🤪

I still have full carton of Stella Artois that was bought for my birthday in Jan this yr untouched, suppose I should drink it soon I guess, but just love my homies too much I think. 🤣🤣🍻🍻

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, RDT2 said:

I know the difference it tastes good either way maybe too good.

Haha Luvyerwork RD - good stuff!!

I like Kristall w a slice of fresh tasty lemon - but my pref overall is a nice cloudy Hefeweizen... hopefully mine coming up won't be too bad - is in begin of ferment now.

I think that a good HW like Bavaria's Erdinger, Franziskaner, Unertl, Schneiderweisse and Weihenstephaner are pretty hard to replicate meself.... out of all the HB styles... 

• Thanks 1

IMG_6414.thumb.jpg.28c05225ba197d2d6cf5e8b7c08157e3.jpg

first go at an irish red - coopers canadian can, be2m, 1.5kg mash addition (equal parts red x, carared, light crystal), dry hopped with cascade. early test after being in bottle for 10 days, showing a lot of potential. good taste, nice kick.

• Like 6

And tonight we have a Columbus Pale Ale which is pretty much a smash with American Ale Malt. Very clear beer accidentally made to 6% due to a mix up when weighing the grain 🤦‍♂️Let’s just say I feel relaxed after one ☝️ Nice head retention all the way down👍

A4923CE0-740F-4F60-AEEB-1CA97AE6071F.jpeg

• Like 5

This is one of my "go to" recipes. It is a rice lager. It is easy to make and a very refreshing drink during the humid tropical summers of South East Queensland. It is essentially a Beer Lao clone that I got of Greeny about 3 years ago: 71.5% Pilsner, 23.5% flaked rice, 2.5% Melanoidin, 2.5% Carapils. Mash is 65c for 60min and a 75c mash out for 15 min. Boil is Magnum @ 60 for 13 IBU, Saaz @20min for 6 IBU and Saaz @10min 4 IBU. Fermented at 15 psi from pitch @ 24c with Voss Kveik. Have found the smooth bittering of Magnum really helps this beer. I have tried several bittering hops but Magnum works the best for my taste. To pimp it up a bit flavouring can be done with Motueka or Nelson Sauvin. I have also done with Hallertau but find the pepper of the Saaz pops with the pressure ferment. Well for my taste it does. If you have no flaked rice, rice syrup can be substituted. The BU:GU is 0.53 Sorry about the chill haze. Now that has cooled it is crystal clear. This version is 4.4%ABV if you want it higher just increase the base malt.  Oh and it is a 22 litre ferment. That way you get a clear 19 litres in a cornie. 

20201212_173844.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Final flavour outcome differences between Kveiker and Verdant Titan mate pray tell?

Although both American IPA's was different hops so side by side doesn't really stand up. Both great beers though. 

• Like 2

image.thumb.png.2ae9b98e01246ddd25d2df0261331278.png 

Leaning on the latent bottle archives and finding all sorts of little leftover gems... here a Lenten Lager left over from before Easter and on the right a sneaky Rauchbier (Smoked Malt Beer a la Bamberg)... nice creamy texture and good to have for a such a v different taste... but am not thinking that I am gunna make smokey beer a regular on the keg menu ; )

• Like 7