Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2020?

BlackSands

15 hours ago, Tone boy said:
17 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

KB Lager clone. Almost at the end of the keg. I love my pilseners but this one is a very nice lager and super quick to make as well.

is that an extract or AG recipe Greeny?

AG mate. Below is the recipe. If you were trying to do an extract version you probably could just sub the grain for 2 cans of light dry malt with a stove top hop boil. 

Screenshot_20201228-140644_BeerSmith 3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Mid-strength Pacific Ale. Not bad for a first attempt. Needs a little more body, which I hope the added light crystal will fix. Quite a drinkable beer for 2.9% (bottled). 2nd batch is in the making as we speak. Waiting for strike temp to mash.

IMG_6628.thumb.jpg.52fa46a41abdaca581b77752dc2d9488.jpg

Looks close to my K&K version of PSA AussieKraut.  Try tossing in 200 g CaraFoam/Carapils next batch and see how that makes a difference.  It will make bugger all difference in the colour but definitely add some body.  Mine usually end up 4.3 to 4.4% ABV, EBC=8.5 and IBU=25.3  I use a combo of Summer hops and Galaxy.  I notice you like yours a bit hopper than mine.  Edit: used Windsor Ale yeast usually re-claimed from previous batches.

Have not done an AG version yet, just completed my test boils, test chills with my new AG kit to work out boil off evaporation rate and other losses to see what I need to plug into my software as a start / base line.  It will be next week before my 25 kg bags of grain arrive so look out.

Cheers - AL

PSA batch #39 resized.jpg

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jamiek86 said:

@Greeny1525229549 how does the Southern German lager yeast go compared to the w34/70?

Way more malty than a w34/70. Going to do a dark lager with it as I think it will be sensational with this yeast. Haven't seen a lager yeast ferment as quick. From mid 1040s to 1008 in about 5 days at 10c with a diacetyl rest. Its quicker than the majority of ale yeasts. Flocculation is great as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Way more malty than a w34/70. Going to do a dark lager with it as I think it will be sensational with this yeast. Haven't seen a lager yeast ferment as quick. From mid 1040s to 1008 in about 5 days at 10c with a diacetyl rest. Its quicker than the majority of ale yeasts. Flocculation is great as well.

might have to give one of these a go myself down track

IMG_6518.thumb.jpg.9f6302097e0ff2e5388d6517005d32aa.jpg

"yarraville pale" fresh wort kit is my christmas beer from an early christmas present. dryhopped with some cascade and amarillo. tasty drop but i wouldn't rush out to do a FWK again unless i was time pressed and running low because  i enjoy the process as much as the end result and adding a couple of litres of water and then pitching yeast was a bit boring compared to doing a steep or stovetop mash addition to a K+K...

• Like 6

23 hours ago, Stickers said:

wouldn't rush out to do a FWK again unless i was time pressed and running low because  i enjoy the process as much as the end result

As a FWK - do you think it was in any way better than your own brews you make yourself in terms of taste - mouthfeel - head - head retention?

2 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

As a FWK - do you think it was in any way better than your own brews you make yourself in terms of taste - mouthfeel - head - head retention?

good question and a hard one to answer fully as it is bloody tasty and the total prep time was literally 5 minutes so there are a lot of pluses to the FWK. in reverse order.. head retention virtually non existent, head pretty good on pour but disappeared quickly. mouthfeel.. excellent, this tastes like a rich full beer and not a beer flavoured beverage and overall taste.. well it's much better than the rubbish i was drinking before i got into home brew but it's not like the difference btw drinking proper french champagne as opposed to local sparkling if that makes sense. if anything this affirms that i'm making pretty good progress with what i'm making with K+K plus additions.

• Like 7

All Inn Legbreaker IPA (but really a pale ale) FWK.

Nice beer but, like Stickers, I prefer to make my own. Also, I’m sure I’m biased but I think my beers taste better.

It was Christmas and in between brews so I threw a FWK down. I probably do 2-3 of these a year when I am time poor.

8E9695F0-7FFF-4ABE-A623-5949F4C6591B.thumb.jpeg.fab3054bec4071a75a2be14bca06be5b.jpeg

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

@Hairy how’s it taste compared to their canned version? If you’ve had it?

I rekon it’s a great beer. Never tried their FWK though 

I haven’t tried it. Is it available outside of Queensland?

I’m sure it is different because when you dilute the FWK to 19-20 litres it turns it into an American Pale Ale.

another brick lane watermelon flavoured this time. A little artificial too sweet for my liking sort of thought this be case before had it but when someone buys them for you why not.  light bodiless beer made for hot days carbonation is ok 3/10 because too sweet from artificial flavour

20201230_195318.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Hairy said:

All Inn Legbreaker IPA (but really a pale ale) FWK.

Nice beer but, like Stickers, I prefer to make my own. Also, I’m sure I’m biased but I think my beers taste better.

It was Christmas and in between brews so I threw a FWK down. I probably do 2-3 of these a year when I am time poor.

8E9695F0-7FFF-4ABE-A623-5949F4C6591B.thumb.jpeg.fab3054bec4071a75a2be14bca06be5b.jpeg

Got their Australian Pale FWK on tap, not bad for 10 mins work. Light and easy drinking for a hot day, better than a lot of so called craft beers. 

• Like 3

Gday guys. I've been a bit quiet here over 2020. But a Melbourne lockdown meant more time for brewing regardless. This is my last homebrew for 2020 as I'm on holidays and it's the last of what I shipped up to NSW with me. I'd always seen a lot of talk about SMOTY ale on this forum and still don't quite know the defining characters. I do know that my attempt is good and worth the hype!

Happy new year Champions! I'll be back to bother you in 2021!

PXL_20201230_083124351.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.fa08b8b3d3afe5a52b595c697b9ff7ac.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

another brick lane watermelon flavoured this time. A little artificial too sweet for my liking sort of thought this be case before had it but when someone buys them for you why not.  light bodiless beer made for hot days carbonation is ok 3/10 because too sweet from artificial flavour

20201230_195318.jpg

Hi Jamie, You're new around these here parts, so I'll cut you some slack.

Commercial "what I am drinking posts" usually go under the thread "Todays Tastings".  The "RDWHAHB What are you Drinking" thread is for posts and pics of homebrew you are drinking.

Here endeth the lesson.

Not that it is a big deal.  Hence RDWHAHB. 😄

But some of us on here are a bit OCD.  🤪

I am thinking of starting a new "Todays Tastings 2021" thread in a day or so.  The old one, from late 2018, was getting a bit long.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi Jamie, You're new around these here parts, so I'll cut you some slack.

Commercial "what I am drinking posts" usually go under the thread "Todays Tastings".  The "RDWHAHB What are you Drinking" thread is for posts and pics of homebrew you are drinking.

Here endeth the lesson.

Not that it is a big deal.  Hence RDWHAHB. 😄

But some of us on here are a bit OCD.  🤪

I am thinking of starting a new "Todays Tastings 2021" thread in a day or so.  The old one, from late 2018, was getting a bit long.

thanks for cutting me the slack im sure I deserve as a newcomer 😇. I was wondering before I posted them though well a tasting is a tasting all those letters before hand are over my head I.was trying to figure out what stood for. I would join the cartel but not even sure how many is or where to get it looks like a lot of dark heavy beer I wouldn't enjoy.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, jamiek86 said:

thanks for cutting me the slack im sure I deserve as a newcomer 😇. I was wondering before I posted them though well a tasting is a tasting all those letters before hand are over my head I.was trying to figure out what stood for. I would join the cartel but not even sure how many is or where to get it looks like a lot of dark heavy beer I wouldn't enjoy.

RDWHAHB - Relax Don't Worry Have A Home Brew

OCD - Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

All good brother.  You might be new to the Forum, but it sounds like you have been brewing for a while.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hairy said:

I understand @jamiek86 confusion.

That beer tastes like really bad homebrew. He was being generous with 3/10.

thanks I almost tipped it and gave it nothing but didn't want be snobby 

9 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

RDWHAHB - Relax Don't Worry Have A Home Brew

OCD - Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

All good brother.  You might be new to the Forum, but it sounds like you have been brewing for a while.

only just for 3 months after 2 year break not sure if it was brewing before then even though I done partial mashes I never done gravity readings and a lot go bang.

Also alot went down drain before and after bottled so this time I've eased into it more but after holidays going to start doing a few more additions to my brews.

Edited by jamiek86
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

thanks I almost tipped it and gave it nothing but didn't want be snobby 

I did tip it. I found it undrinkable and the aroma was awful.

The blood orange sour in that pack was better. Not great but at least I could drink it.

The Supernova IPA was great though.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Hairy said:

I did tip it. I found it undrinkable and the aroma was awful.

The blood orange sour in that pack was better. Not great but at least I could drink it.

The Supernova IPA was great though.

yes I drank a supernova the other night didn't get photo or rate it as was very late. Just me or was the supernova for 6.8% a bit light body? nice hops but almost like simple sugar added to all these brick lane cans to pump them out cheap for Christmas and birthday presents.

So I'm not really impressed or convinced its craft beer at all even the heaviest one in pack. The only one I won't drink is red ale as I find them too sweet. If I make them its technically just red because I add bitterness way above style.

Edited by jamiek86

16 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

yes I drank a supernova the other night didn't get photo or rate it as was very late. Just me or was the supernova for 6.8% a bit light body? nice hops but almost like simple sugar added to all these brick lane cans to pump them out cheap for Christmas and birthday presents.

So I'm not really impressed or convinced its craft beer at all even the heaviest one in pack. The only one I won't drink is red ale as I find them too sweet. If I make them its technically just red because I add bitterness way above style.

The Supernova is just at the drier end of the range and suits the style. I thought it was fine and I doubt they use a lot of simple sugar. It would be a combo of grain type, lower mash temp and yeast.

The red ale is also fairly dry for a red ale and easy to drink.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Hairy said:

The Supernova is just at the drier end of the range and suits the style. I thought it was fine and I doubt they use a lot of simple sugar. It would be a combo of grain type, lower mash temp and yeast.

The red ale is also fairly dry for a red ale and easy to drink.

ok i might have to try the red then they usually to sweet for me ill try the supernova again at start of night so better judge.