Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2019

ben 10

I wouldn't be using 120 minutes steep for a flameout addition, it's totally unnecessary. It won't stay that hot for that long even in a closed cube because the heat can dissipate through all the sides of it. It is a bit of trial and error but I usually just use 15-20 minutes for flameout steeps even though the hops themselves are pulled after 10. The beers turn out as intended.

Besides, 3 IBUs isn't even worth worrying about. It won't make a difference to the bitterness you taste at the glass.

What a disaster of a brew day. Started out nice as you can see from my nice organised photo

I was a couple of points down pre boil and post boil.  I had to swap BB pale malt for Coopers Pale malt but I couldn’t find it in Beersmith to adjust. Also it appears my LHBS only gave me 4.3 kgs of grain but I asked for 4.4

Anyway that’s all good. The disaster came at the death. It’s a Belgian Witbeir so there was coriander seeds and orange peel. Which I just chucked in with five mins left commando. Anyway my false bottom was as much use as tits on a nun cos some of the orange peel got under and clogged the tap. So I’m trying to decant it to my cube. Nothing coming out. Tap on full pelt. 96 degree wort.  Started to panic.  I blew up the silicone hose to clear it which worked but the margin of errors are fine as you have a split second to blow before boiling hot wort comes at you thanks to that bastard gravity. But she blocked again 

In the end I had to fill my cube via my one litre jug. It was a fkn mess. The kitchen looks like I had squatters living here for two years.  If she wasn’t in NZ skiing, I’d be a single man tonight

just finished clean up. The cube is full. Only a minor miracle might help me. I’ll say a decade of the rosary tonight and pray to St Anthony who’s the patron saint of lost causes. 

I need a beer 

2486ACBA-E7E3-455D-A387-C28B2363EDA7.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 8
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

What a disaster of a brew day. Started out nice as you can see from my nice organised photo

I was a couple of points down pre boil and post boil.  I had to swap BB pale malt for Coopers Pale malt but I couldn’t find it in Beersmith to adjust. Also it appears my LHBS only gave me 4.3 kgs of grain but I asked for 4.4

Anyway that’s all good. The disaster came at the death. It’s a Belgian Witbeir so there was coriander seeds and orange peel. Which I just chucked in with five mins left commando. Anyway my false bottom was as much use as tits on a nun cos some of the orange peel got under and clogged the tap. So I’m trying to decant it to my cube. Nothing coming out. Tap on full pelt. 96 degree wort.  Started to panic.  I blew up the silicone hose to clear it which worked but the margin of errors are fine as you have a split second to blow before boiling hot wort comes at you thanks to that bastard gravity. But she blocked again 

In the end I had to fill my cube via my one litre jug. It was a fkn mess. The kitchen looks like I had squatters living here for two years.  If she wasn’t in NZ skiing, I’d be a single man tonight

just finished clean up. The cube is full. Only a minor miracle might help me. I’ll say a decade of the rosary tonight and pray to St Anthony who’s the patron saint of lost causes. 

I need a beer 

2486ACBA-E7E3-455D-A387-C28B2363EDA7.jpeg

The only thing i commando is irish moss. Hops and other additions go in the hop sock. If i dry hop or keg hop its in a hop sock or hop ball. You will lose a little bit of the flavour extraction but its the lesser of the evils in my opinion.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

The only thing i commando is irish moss. Hops and other additions go in the hop sock. If i dry hop or keg hop its in a hop sock or hop ball. You will lose a little bit of the flavour extraction but its the lesser of the evils in my opinion.

Plus one to this mate. 

I do commando the bittering addition but that’s it. 

I have a number of hop socks for this reason. If you think you have enough, you probably don’t ha ha ha

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

If she wasn’t in NZ skiing, I’d be a single man tonight

If she’s away you’re single!! 

You can drink beer in just your undies while laying on the lounge covered in pizza crumbs. 

BB

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Munich MAC in Amarillo

He is a man about town...well the world. The MAC from Munich has stopped into Amarillo for a short stay.

1.5kg Munich LME added to fermenter

900g light dry malt extract boiled in 10l

600g wheat malt extract dry, added to fermenter.

350g carapils, steeped for 30ish minutes

50g choc malt, same as carapils.

28g Amarillo mash/steeped hopped and then boiled for 30 minutes

25g of Mosaic, Azacca and Citra at flameout for a 10 min steep

22l in the fermenter with M54 yeast and a packet of ale/lager yeast blend, that was due to be used or end up as yeast nutrient.  1.049 expected OG 40 IBU with about 28 coming from the Amarillo and the rest from flameout.

I will either dry hop at about 4.5g/l or maybe higher at around 7g/l. I will then gelatin and cold crash as I am hoping for a nice color that I don't want to end up with pea soup from the choc malt color addition.

4 days at 18c

1 day at 20c

3 days at 22c

2 days at 24c

4 days at 1.5c

Hopefully.

Cheers

Norris

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Been a long day on AG Weissbier No. 1... bit like your Witbier Paddy Cobber..

Here pretty much the Jamil Z recommended recipe.. 50/50 Wheat and Pils Malt - noble hops - here Hallertau at 60 and a few at 5... 

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 6:51 PM, PaddyBrew2 said:

Belgian Witbeir so there was coriander seeds and orange peel. Which I just chucked in with five mins left commando. Anyway my false bottom was as much use as tits on a nun cos some of the orange peel got under and clogged the tap. So I’m trying to decant it to my cube. Nothing coming out. 

Paddy - maybe orange peel etc caused a blockage - but my experience with wheat - could also be the effect of wheat fines - flour - coagulating/gelling up and causing blockages.  I am in BIAB and you are in Grainfather Land which is different - but suspect for you Rice Hulls may be useful.  Dunno. Just a thought.

When I fortunately noticed the coag on the false floor legs when removing it to proceed to Hop Boil I did a full decant to another SS vessel and found a lot of heavy sludge on the vessel floor and the heating element starting to burn on - so was v happy I did the decant and investigate...

Must also say I did do a Step-Mash which may have complicated things. 

Any BIAB Weizen Witbier or other Wheat brewers - would be happy to have any tips to avoid such instances.

Got the cool air fan on the outside of the Vessel and was able to pitch tonight still.

Anyway - thanks to all Brewers and @Hairy for advice on many aspects and esp. my first time with "posh" liquid yeast - got Wyeast 3068 pitched and hopefully tomorrow morning the FV at 17 deg C has a frothy welcome for me!

Cheers Brewers... and one more step on this wonderful journey!'

image.png.8c28e2cfd5e0312dbe400936870e3b0a.png

• Like 1

I use a hop sock as well, but I turned it into a spider so it would sit in place properly. 

When I use hop flowers I just throw them in because the sock is too small to hold them. First time it blocked the tap too although it eventually drained. After that I tried containing them in an old grain bag but it screwed up the boil off. Then I got dad to make up a mesh thing that screws onto the ball valve pipe. Stops the flowers blocking the tap so it drains easily, and no boil off issues.  

Edited by Otto Von Blotto

On 8/4/2019 at 10:25 AM, Gully85 said:

Brewed a RIS last night. Set eff to 65% I ended up hitting 75% so that's a bonus.

Got a little drunk whilst brewing so cleaned up this morning, so syrupy and delishousness a plenty. Even 12 hrs after completion.

20190804_092004.jpg

20190804_093001.jpg

That’s a big beer right there. Hope you’ve got plenty of healthy yeast to chew threw that

Edited by The Captain!!

Just now, The Captain!! said:

That’s a big beer right there. Hope you’ve got plenty of healthy yeast to chew threw that

Same, it scares me a little.

I am going to make a red ale or similar prior to dumping this big beer onto the yeast cake.... I am expecting a big mess during this fermentation.

Also like to add, no sugar was added to the wort or boil, all natural malty goodness. 

• Like 2