Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2019

ben 10

10 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

Statistics, fist that for a joke.

Haha what? Stats is fun... That was one of my majors along with Comp Sci. 

But brewing is more fun, no question about it. Both the beers sound great, Wig & Pen did an awesome English IPA on handpump featuring Bramling Cross until they unfortunately had to close last year. All because they were forced out of a great location due to high rise development.

Cheers, 

John 

• Sad 1

Hobgollum

A fairly straight forward partial-mash brew inspired by a very popular English ale called Hobgoblin.  It's not intended as a clone but rather just a beer of a similar style using the Coopers Dark Ale which I picked up cheap a few weeks ago.  I've used the DA can a few times in the past when I brewed kits more often and remember liking it.   I actually used it in a more recent Brown IPA with mosaic as the 'feature' hop and that was a very nice beer.  

The actual style of the Wychwood Hobgoblin is somewhat unclear.  It could be a very dark English IPA and I see it referred to as such quite often, but it could also be a British Strong Ale (ESB)... and, it could even fit the specs for an American Brown Ale for that matter!   I'm not sure what the brewers actually intended.  My Hobgollum is similar in that it too is technically far too dark for an English IPA... so given that I'll call it a British Strong Ale.  🤓  

Now, as it happens I actually screwed up when I ordered the grains... should have been 2.4kg!  I've added some sugar (which I often do anyway) to compensate. 

• 2kg GF Ale Malt
  • 1.7kg Coopers Dark Ale
  • 600g  LME
  • 250g Sugar
  • 25g Styrian Goldings @ 15min
  • 25g Styrian Goldings @ 5min
  • 5g Gypsum
  • 14g Coopers Blended Yeast

| ABV = 5.4% | IBU=40 | EBC=33 |

• Like 4

Recipe: White IPA
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: White IPA
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.067 SG
Estimated Color: 8.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 72.7 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.00 kg          Coopers Premium Ale (5.9 EBC)                    Grain         1          50.0 %        1.96 L        
3.00 kg          Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 EBC)     Grain         2          50.0 %        1.96 L        
30.00 g          Melba [12.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min                  Hop           3          36.8 IBUs     -             
3.65 g           Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins)                       Fining        4          -             -             
50.00 g          Lemondrop [5.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min   Hop           5          7.7 IBUs      -             
50.00 g          Melba [12.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min      Hop           6          18.6 IBUs     -             
30.00 g          Nelson Sauvin [10.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0  Hop           7          9.5 IBUs      -             
1.0 pkg          Safbrew Wheat (DCL/Fermentis #WB-06) [50.28 ml]  Yeast         8          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

some sort of dry hop.

• Like 6

Im brewing a Black IPA today for AG #4

Pale Malt 84%

Caramunic II 6.1%

Carafa II 3.7%

Chocolate Malt 3.1%

Roasted Barley 3.1%

15g Magnum @ 60

25gs each of Amarillo, Centennial and Columbus at 5 minutes and again at flameout

Steeped for 20 minutes

Dry hop with 50 gms of each on Day 4

Us05 yeast

68.9 IBU's according to BS and estimated ABV 6.5%

Just in the middle of the mash now, no dramas so far (touches wood)

• Like 6

I didn't have much time today being Father's Day, but needed to get a brew down, so snuck a nice tasty one in later this afternoon.

Coopers DIY recipe: Chubby Cherub

I've got a heap of hops I need to start chewing through so this will be getting a decent dry hop of a few things. 😉

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust
  • Like 9

12 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

How do you find the lemon drop hops. I’ve heard good and bad about them 

I got curious so I bought some Lemondrop pellets after recieving a 10% discount coupon. 

Today I made 2 bastard extract batches. 

• 1 x 1,7kg Coopers Lager 
  • 1,5kg liquid Malt Extract amber 
  • Spraymalt Medium (Muntons) 500 g
  • 25 g lemon drop pellets + 25 g Summit pellets 15 minute hop tea
  • 24 litres 
  • Mangrove Jack's M44 US West Coast 10 g  

Plan is to dry hop later with 25 g lemon drop pellets + 25 g Summit pellets

And

• 1 x 1,7kg Coopers Lager 
  • 0,25 l Mr. Beer Golden LME 
  • 1,5 kg Spraymalt Extra Light (Muntons) 
  • 50 g Taiheke + 20 g Lemondrop  30 minute hop tea
  • 24 litres 
  • Mangrove Jack's M42 New World Strong Ale 

• Like 5

Imperial Coffee Stout 17.5 litres

Full grain with reiterated mash in Grainfather

• 5.5kg pale ale
  • Amber CandiSugar (home made) 1kg
  • 450g Crystal Malt 60L
  • 200g Roasted barley
  • 260g Carafa Special III
  • 100g Special B
  • 100g Vittoria ground coffee @ 4 days.

Mash 1 @65C 60min with half the grain.

Mash Out @75C 10 min

Sparge 1 50C 12 litres

Mash 2 @65C with remaining grain 60min

Mash out 2, 75C 10 min

Sparge 2-6 litres @75C

Boil 60". Add candi sugar during boil.

Hops: Challenger 100g @ 60min (single addition only)

Yeast Nutrient @ 15 min.

Cool to 35C for yeast pitching. Ferment at 35-39C or as high as possible (not over 40C)

Yeast: Sigmund's Voss Kveik 1 teaspoon of dried flakes

Fermenting well @ 24 hours

OG 1.110

Expected ABV 12.5%.

Brewhouse efficiency~81% (the candi sugar inflates this a little I'm sure).

Colour 105.2 EBC, BU:GU 0.64 Bitterness 71.1 IBU

This brew will be aged in a carboy for at least 12 months.

• Like 6

Tonight I brewed up what is likely to be a fairly boring partial mash beer to use up some leftover grain / malt extract. It's going to give me 11l of a 4% ABV lager with hopefully some nice malt and hop accents.

Fermentables
500g Munich malt
500g Vienna malt
750g LDM

Hops
7g Nelson Sauvin at FWH (60 min boil)
15g Nelson Sauvin at 5 mins

Yeast
Lager yeast slurry from the back of the fridge ... Wyeast 2278 from memory.

Process
Full volume mash (60 mins)
60 min boil
Added the LDM at 5 mins along with the Nelson, Whirlfloc and yeast nutrient additions

Cheers,

John

Edited by porschemad911
  • Like 4

3 c's pale ale by my LHBS. Brew day went well, but long. I did a 90 min mash and a 90 min boil to try to hit my numbers, came in at 1.046-47 when I was shooting for 1.048. Anyways, pretty happy with that, but will work to shorten the boil by not sparging as much.  I did an extra 7l sparge. Filled the cube and had the dregs left over, so all up felt that was an improvement from the 1st batch.

Cheeky 3 C's Pale Ale

38ibus.

4.7kg 2 row pale malt

500g Munich malt

200g caramunich

90 min 10g centennial FWH. I deviated here as they called for a 60min boil, but I figured the isomeration would be relatively the same from 60 to 90 minutes, I am expecting slightly more bitterness, but not much.

20g centennial, citra and cascade cube hopped at 90c. This part I have some questions on. Has anyone noticed a difference between a cube hop at 90c and one at 80c when you are also looking to get a fair chunk of your IBUs from the flameout? More bitterness than expected? Less aroma? More flavour?

The recipe calls for a fair dry hop of

20g citra and 30g of centennial and cascade, each. I expect about 20l in the fermenter from the cube, leaving behind the trub, so that would be 4g/l...I will probably up that to ~7g/l with this combo:

50g citra, 50g centennial and 30g of cascade.  Might be a tad more citra and centennial, it will be what is ever in my freezer.

The improvements were:

1. Post mash gravity reading, I need to work on a better process here. It took about 15minutes to cool off the wort in the tube, I need to know the gravity sooner or understand my system better to know how much to sparge. I used brewfather to help figure it out, so I will adjust the efficiency for the next brew, maybe.

2. 45 min gravity reading. I did this one because I knew it took, about 15 mins to cool the last sample and then I could adjust the boil, which I did, due to my extensive sparging.

3. Continued to do laundry and other little things around the house, so really little wasted time watching wort heat up and boil.

Things to work on:

1. My grain efficiency. But I think this comes with experience and knowledge of the system.

Looking forward to fermenting this and having a glass.

Norris

Edited by Norris!
  • Like 4

Good stuff Norris.  I use a refractometer for my post mash reading. It comes with a little pipette which draws a sample. Dunk it in a glass of water with ice and a minute later you have an accurate reading. I also take a hydrometer sample and put in fridge to cool down to make sure readings are on par. You can get one for about $20-$30. They’re a great bit of kit for brew days. 

• Like 1

Yeah a refractometer would be ideal in that scenario. I just put my samples in the fridge and then tip them back into the wort when the boil starts after taking the reading, but not sparging I don't need the reading as quickly. 

I don't think you'll notice any difference between a FWH of 60 or 90 minutes. My last pilsner was meant to be 90 minutes but I extended the boil midway through to nearly two hours to achieve target volume post boil in the urn, which I have done on a couple of previous ones as well. Tasted the same as always. 

I expect your efficiency will improve and become more consistent with more batches. Mine usually sits around 75% Brewhouse and 86-87% mash efficiency. It does drop it I use a bigger grain bill, but that is normal and expected, which I account for when creating recipes. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 1