Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2019

ben 10

Ease up gents..............When I changed the body in BeerSmith I then changed the OG to get it to the point I wanted, than forgot to change the weights to be more rounded. 

Im putting it down to being really tired from work. 

Edited by The Captain!!
  • Like 1

On 7/1/2019 at 7:00 PM, Worthog said:

Red Ale, just mashed today and will go into the FV tomorrow.

This is my first AG Red Ale so I am looking forward to it.

My grain schedule is not exactly my prefered combo for Red but somewhat dictated by LHBS supply.

• To 23 litre
  • 3.8kg Maris Otter
  • 300g Dark Crystal
  • 200g Red-X
  • 200g Caramalt
  • 70g Roasted Malt, all @66c/75min
  • 10g Simcoe@FWH
  • 15g Centennial / 15g Cascade@ 8m
  • 30g Cascade@WP
  • 11g Nottingham rehydrated
  • ABV: 4.7%
  • IBU/EBC 32/31

This brew will be clarified with Polyclar so I can post a photo which could be mistaken for an @Otto Von Blotto product. 😉😎

Results in 5 weeks. Cheers

Well, finally, here it is. Very happy with my first All Grain Red Ale.

I'm enjoying the piney, floral and earthy flavours, and it is leaving a sharp but pleasant aftertaste which sits well in the mouth between drinks. I think there is a nice balance between malt and hop given no dry hopping.

The "red" is really only evident in the light otherwise it looks Amber.

Cheers

20190815_163732.thumb.jpg.20ebfc20a197595090afa5fa49c3bc5a.jpg

• Like 10

It ended up as 4.2% ABV which all you All Grainers would have suspected with the grain Bill.

I have also learned that when using Polyclar (PVPP) as a Cold Crash addition, then the secondary fermentation - carbonation - period needs to be extended to 3 weeks and maybe even adjust the bottle conditioner up over 20c, due to lack of yeast in the bottle working up the CO2.

My bottles are pretty clear and have only a "film" of yeast on the bottom.

Cheers 🙂

20 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Polyclar doesn't have any effect on yeast mate. I'd say there are other reasons why the carbonation took a bit longer. 

Yeah, it gets to sub-zero in the shed in NE Vic this time of year, so the bottle conditioner may not be holding enough internal temp. But Nottingham yeast was used which should carbonate down to 16c(?). But point taken.  Thanks Kelsey.

3 hours ago, Worthog said:

Yeah, it gets to sub-zero in the shed in NE Vic this time of year, so the bottle conditioner may not be holding enough internal temp. But Nottingham yeast was used which should carbonate down to 16c(?). But point taken.  Thanks Kelsey.

Nottingham also drops like a stone, and it would be more so with a cold crash, which would explain the lesser amount of yeast in the bottles. Temperature is probably also playing a part in the time taken.

I've used polyclar a few times when I did surplus bottles after kegging, and the carbonation didn't take any longer than usual. One lot even fully carbonated in four days after sitting near zero for two days before being warmed up, so six days in total. 

• Like 1

Did a brew day/smoking bacon day yesterday. Another batch of my Boh Pils that I always enjoy having on tap. Planned batch was 21 litres which I will achieve, and also hit target OG. I had a bit extra pre boil volume though so the boil was more like 2 hours, but I decided to increase the time before the late hops/Brewbrite additions so all went in at the right times.

Water and Treatment
33L Distilled Water
0.44 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash) Water Agent 2 - -
0.34 g Baking Soda (Mash) Water Agent 4 - -
0.32 g Calcium Chloride (Mash) Water Agent 5 - -
0.30g Gypsum

Grains
4.000 kg Bohemian Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.5 EBC) Grain 6 93.8 % 2.61 L
0.150 kg Melanoidin (Weyermann) (59.1 EBC) Grain 7 3.5 % 0.10 L
0.100 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (4.5 EBC) Grain 8 2.3 % 0.07 L
0.015 kg Black Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1300.2 EBC) Grain 9 0.4 % 0.01 L
Mash at 63C for 45 minutes, 72C for 25 minutes, 78C mash out

Hops
60.00 g Saaz [2.40 %] - First Wort 90.0 min Hop 10 19.0 IBUs -
70.00 g Saaz [2.40 %] - Boil 80.0 min Hop 11 19.9 IBUs -
40.00 g Saaz [2.40 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 12 5.3 IBUs -
30.00 g Saaz [2.40 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 min, 90.2 C Hop 13 2.0 IBUs -
Originally 90 minute boil, increased to 120 minutes

Yeast
Czech Pilsner Lager (Wyeast Labs #2278), pitch and begin ferment at 12C

The Numbers
Est Original Gravity: 1.0478 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.0107 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.9 %
Bitterness: 46.2 IBUs
Est Color: 11.4 EBC

Cheers

Kelsey

• Like 5

I am hoping to do a brew on Saturday or Sunday...hopefully.

I was going to name it "Wheat You Talking Bout Willis" but since that name is taken I will go with "Waku Mo Wheat".

The 15 minute whirlpools will be a cube hop...so any input would be nice.

Screenshot_20190820-175409.jpg

Screenshot_20190820-175422.jpg

Edited by Norris!
  • Like 4

So I am doing the first brew, so far so good. While waiting to mash in I cut half the yard, mashed in, weed whacked and now I am just waiting to sparge and boil. I have a cube ready and a towel and gloves, so we will see how that goes.

I don't have a cool name, but it will be a American wheat...Pacific ale type thing. The 25g steep addition will go in the cube. Should I increase the time on that addition and the flameout?

Screenshot_20190824-120855.jpg

Screenshot_20190824-120915.jpg

20190824_114740.jpg

Edited by Norris!
  • Like 3

Thanks Lusty. It went fairly smooth, I made a few mistakes like turning the unit off instead of the pump, my sparge amount was too little so I came up with 16l and I didn't clean while boiling. The end boil difference is due to me using 10l to sparge instead of 15l, the extra 5l would of put me at 21l just under 23l I dialed in. I should of ran a test run and measured the boil off for a 23l batch, but all in all a good first run.

Oh, I also forgot to test the gravity after mashing or pre-boil and after boil, I am waiting for the wort to chill to get that reading and work backwards...So besides those mistakes it went well, I have beer that I hope tastes all right. I also think I should of went with a higher bittered recipe but until I taste the sample who knows? Hahaha, when I look at the post exercise assessment it seems I missed a lot of things that came normally in my previous process...I kind of dropped the ball but honestly I feel it was a success and it was fun working in the yard while brewing and making a sand pit with my father in law for my son.  I like the chimes and how it won't go to the next step until I tell it to...push a button. Yeah it was cool and really too easy, just have to remember to get my samples and get the boil off right. I am also guessing I could of boiled with 2000kw instead of 2400kw but yeah.

Cheers

Norris

Edited by Norris!
  • Like 4

Brew 2 day. I'm procrastinating. Have some study to do but don't want to. Statistics, fist that for a joke.

Recipe: Lemon Wheat
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Weissbier
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 6.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 15.8 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.00 kg          Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 EBC)     Grain         1          75.0 %        1.96 L        
1.00 kg          Coopers Premium Ale (5.9 EBC)                    Grain         2          25.0 %        0.65 L        
20.00 g          Lemondrop [5.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min               Hop           3          12.1 IBUs     -             
3.65 g           Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins)                       Fining        4          -             -             
20.00 g          Lemondrop [5.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min   Hop           5          3.7 IBUs      -             
1.0 pkg          Safbrew Wheat (DCL/Fermentis #WB-06) [50.28 ml]  Yeast         6          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe: Bramling IPA
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: English IPA
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.069 SG
Estimated Color: 29.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 59.7 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
5.00 kg          Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC)                 Grain         1          82.0 %        3.26 L        
1.00 kg          Munich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC)             Grain         2          16.4 %        0.65 L        
0.10 kg          Roasted Malt (Joe White) (1199.7 EBC)            Grain         3          1.6 %         0.07 L        
75.00 g          Bramling Cross [6.30 %] - Boil 60.0 min          Hop           4          45.8 IBUs     -             
3.65 g           Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins)                       Fining        5          -             -             
75.00 g          Bramling Cross [6.30 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0  Hop           6          13.9 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          Liberty Bell (Mangrove Jack's #M36)              Yeast         7          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 1